News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Season 11: Increased Interaction Radius and Quality of Life Updates

CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 295 Admin
edited February 22 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorer!

Huzzah! The Bears were the Explorers to beat this Season. Let news of your victory ring throughout the world.

You earned more Victory Points than the other two Factions. Let’s see the final tally...

Congratulations to the BEARS with 548,628 Victory Points! Well played, Explorers.

A NEW SEASON DAWNS...

A new Season is about to begin… Are you up for the challenge? Do you have what it takes to guide your Faction to a win next Season?

NEW THIS SEASON:

Increased interaction radius! Plus some changes to Catanians and new quest content (coming soon).

We’re excited to share that for the next Season, we’re expanding the interaction radius for all Explorers! Now you’ll be able to interact with Settlements and Resource Centers from further away. This also applies to your Totem radius too!

In the theme of improving our Explorers’ quality of life, some of you may have noticed that we’ve removed the requirement to revisit a Catanian to complete a Friendship Quest. This requirement has now been removed permanently! Time to make some friends.

We’ve also been hard at work listening to feedback on our Forum and have some changes planned for later in the Season including all-new quests to complete!

Another thing to note, we’re trying a shorter Season this time of only 3 weeks. We’re curious how this feels for Explorers! We’re always listening to our Explorers visiting our community forum.

Remember, at Season’s end:

• Scores reset, Settlements reset, and Resource Center locations change.
  • Card quantities (Resources, Mini Games, and Crafted Buildings) will be set back to zero.
  • Your Faction, Golden Settlement, Unlocked Cards, Boost cards, Totem Tokens, Explorer Points, and Gold will remain.

A new day dawns! Go and explore a whole new gameboard this Season! This Season will run fromFebruary 2nd 2021, 1:30pm PST to February 23rd 2021, 1pm PST... so don’t waste any time!

-The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

The season length of 3 weeks, to me. Has been just right

2 weeks was too short

4 weeks was too long

Thanks too for the update of Catan friend quests being removed, I couldn't understand earlier today why it wasn't working.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Yes 3 weeks is perfect!

• PterryPterry Member Posts: 1

Loving the increased interaction radius, 🤞 that stays.

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭

30 days was alright... 3 weeks feels to short, but we'll see

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

Interaction radius seems kind of big. It’s probably nice variation from season to season too but wouldn’t PoGo style 2x be better.

• CachedCached Member Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I'm interested to know what the boost card does to the interaction range now

• BennywomplerBennywompler Member Posts: 9 ✭✭

Loving the larger interaction radius! Like the idea of varying the length of the season sometimes rather than trying to find the "perfect" timing

@CATANFiona what should be the reward for 1st 2nd and 3rd place globally? And what are the rewards regionally? I guess there was a mixup, because I got 20 EPs although I made 1st pace in my home region

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

3 weeks feels too short, this might be different with more active players. With very few players I feel like I have just built a settlement to a nice point to enjoy it to enhance other settlements and it resets. I find I need to alter my strategy between 3 and 4 weeks so it is nice from a mixing up the season perspective, however I would prefer 4 weeks generally.

Extra interaction radius is awesome. Chasing PoI's in quiet streets attracts a lot of stares, this lets me use those same PoI's from the main road and not disturb the local residents.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@Schnuefu I made 1st pace in my home region and only got 2 EP. I am golden eagle but we have won in my home region.

@CATANdominik @CATANFiona Interaction radius is great now. Very nice. Maybe increase the daily cap of Ressource centers harvest can be great specially with a bigger radius and also with a short season)

I dislike 3 weeks cause I think it's too short.. Just built my settlements and can't really use it (Ressources for trades/quests and treasuries for gold harvesting) For me 4 weeks is a minimum. Could test 30 days or 6 weeks with pleasure.

There is not enough settlements in my area... My first seasons I had 4 or 5 settlements in a radius of 300m and these last seasons only 2 or 3. Maybe I have no chance I don't know.

I dislike the market on the bottom right of the screen, it's too easy to click on it and purchase what I don't want lol.

I want to increase my quests slots. Isn't it possible? Previously we had a "+" (not working) but it has now disappeared. Could you tell us more about this please?

About season rewards I'm the 1st player in my home region and my faction has won the season in my home region. But only 2 EP. Really? That's a bit sad.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@CATANFiona I am not liking this massive interaction radius.

From a strategy game focus, it is too easy to get resources, which goes against one of the clear fundamentals of strategy games, that being the economy

I hope that this change is very short, and goes back to to the former 16m radius very soon. Preferably before the next season begins.

@Catanius I guess it just ignores he regional rankings and gives you twice the global ranking reward (10 * 2 =20 and yours 1*2 = 2) probably? bigger radius is nice to have, but the one in season 10 was good enough. The range now is too big.

Harvest limit increase and range increase shouldn’t happen together IMO. It would just make this more and more stationary game which is against the base idea.

• CargolateCargolate Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited February 7

The increased range works well in low density zones. In high density zones it makes for a stationary game play. You can spend 2 hours in a single spot without exhausting the area around.

#@CATANFiona how about a dynamic range based on your location or POIs per Cell...?

or you even out the POIs per cell so that everywhere are rural circumstances

Niantic platform is especially nice because it generates so diverse gaming regions. Some areas have more and some areas have less with different structures everywhere. It makes gaming experience differ depending on where you are and encourages you to go to the best spots.

Making every place similar would just make it dull. 😅

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Member Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

I'm enjoying the larger interaction radius, finding it a bit of a laugh. With the extended range card I could interact with resource centres on the other side of a lake without actually walking there. It's good for mixing things up, but I think it's not really a location based game with such a large radius.

This season I'm seeing way more shrubs & Catanians, probably because of the interaction radius. For once I may even be getting more RP from shrubs than minigames, and in a suburban setting my Catanian quests are usually full.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

I love the range ....

Would be fabulous ....

for folks under lockdown.

for those with kids that can't get away from playground supervision.

for those travelling as drivers of car. Can't drive and play but 1 to 3 *pullovers to complete stop* stops on a car journey with high yeilds is pretty doable. A real life convenience on days when walking around is not possible

• WindWind Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭

Id love extended ranges on a few seasons but not tooften, like anniversary season, holiday season and so on. Like keep it to 3 or so seasons a year maxinimum