News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Local Scoring Issues & the Future of the Scoring System

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 170 Community Manager, Global
edited March 9 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

We have to apologize for how our latest update has messed up the local scoring system. Currently some regions are overlapping (as you can see on the Strategy Map screen), which means that the local scores are not counted properly. The global score is unaffected by this. 

Unfortunately there is no easy way to fix this, and we will have to wait till next Tuesday for the season change to resolve the issue. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Though, there is also good news: 

This bug occurred because we have been working to improve the local scoring system and make the local competition more interesting. One issue in many local areas is that there isn’t much competition going on, which can make the game quite stale after a few seasons. That’s why we want to enlarge the local scoring area. We are planning to switch the local score to encompass your whole country. This new system won’t be ready for the season change, but it’s something you can look forward to in the near future.

Please continue to report bugs and let us know what you think about this upcoming change!

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18

Does this mean that there will be a new national scoring level between local and global? Or are the current small regions going to be removed and replaced with the new national level?

So 2 or 3 levels in the future?

• WindWind Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18

So does this means we will get the new zonesfrom next season or something? The more observation the better? :)

if you are adding in another tier of local scoring, the city/state acoring would be awesome, as city vs city rivallry as seen in other sports and interests are massiveand big deal. Like my city of brisbane would banter often with Sydney & Melbourne for example

and please, put away the global scoring and make it not count for anything, just a stupid, stupid system that is not gonna work well & thanks to this whole “catchup mechanicism” it ruined my personal VP scoring goals. I have plans for a 20k goal but not with this **** getting counted

i am all keen for regional & local acoring

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 170 Community Manager, Global

@AjanHukka Two levels in total. The regional scoring will become national scoring.

• Elise35173Elise35173 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Does it mean that the local score for end of current season will be based on the new region (currently 0 0 0)?

Or will it still be based on old region scores?

Would be very disappointed if it's based on new region for current ongoing season, because it will be wasting all the effort put through & totem token used up to now for this season

OK, 2 levels.

It just seems a bit odd to have countrywide regions. Like United States were one region and Liechtenstein was one etc. 🤔 The size variation would be huge.

edited February 18

I think it requires small enough scoring regions to actually make a sensible competition.

The bigger regions just makes scores to converge to player numbers. You then apply some catchup mechanics that are not actually ”mechanics” but free points given to smaller teams. Making it close that way is just totally senseless and artificial where no player has any real effect on anything anywhere. That’s just illusion of competition.

Local small areas create the real competition. Just studying some very basic statistics course would make it clear for you. 😅🙂

Alternatively you can read this Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

• WCPLWCPL Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

A state level scoring region as opposed to a national one might be better.

I guess it depends on how many active players there are.

edited February 19

Ok back in November you asked us about the local vs global gameplay.

Many of us wants the lcal gameplay more of a priority and better incentitive to play for.  And most people are backing for a regional area as in thwt covers the bulk of their city-state.  It does not means a national level for some as some countries are too large and some are too small.   Focus on the metropolitan cities and their geographic coverage

See thread here.

https://community.catanworldexplorers.com/discussion/671/poll-local-vs-global-gameplay#latest

—-

I must ask the devs this question.  

Has you actually played and which ones wouls work best for your scoring plan...taking Seattle for example

1. the suburbs of Seattle (current lower tier scoring ranking)
    2. The whole Seattle-Tacoma metro region plus surrounding rural areas (close to a State level)
    3. The whole of  Pacific Northwest (Oregon county region) (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Vancouver) (close to a geographical regional type)
    4. The whole country of the United States (National)
    5. Both the US and Canada, Mexico and the smaller Central American countries as in the whole continental of North America
    6. The World (Global, current top tier score ranking)

You can only pick two....

or in the case of London....

1. the local suburbs of London
    2. the greater metropolitan area of London
    3. the country of England
    4. the whole of The British isles - England, Scotland, Wales and both Irelands
    5. the whole of Europe
    6. the World

or in case of Japan

1. Tokyo suburbs
    2. the whole metropolitan area of Greater tokyo and yokohama
    3. the whole of Japan
    4. the whole of East Asia...share with Korea, China, Taiwan....
    5. all of Asia with likes of Singapire and India to join with
    6. the world

@CATANdominik @CATANFiona

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update about the ghost regions .....

I'm not sure what is best.

Regions are fun.

Would have thought regional and national made the best sense ....

• GelblancGelblanc Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I like the idea of larger scoring regions, but not national. It takes out the local. I need to be able to gauge my effectiveness.

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

Will the score area lead to the allocation of resources?

For example, for a score by continent, is it Europe that has no wood this season?

I think we have to keep very small local areas for the distribution of resources. For the score, it's a little different because some live at the edge of the zone and can only build in the zone next to it.

I like small regional areas as we currently have. 😍

I find that some are already too big because I cannot see all the boundaries.

Maybe by going to the center of the area?

I also find it a shame not to be able to send my Totem to explore my entire regional area and if necessary help another player playing in the same area as me if he is too far away. 😢

Currently, I can move my Totem, sometimes with difficulty, in a circle of 10km radius around me.

However, my area, but also some areas that I see, are at least 30 km as the crow flies in their greatest length. And much more by road depending on the geography of the land.

At the start of the season and during the exploration weekend, I like to travel to other nearby regions to find the resource that I don't have. If these are too far, I won't do it again. 🤷‍♀

Niantic's motto is to get people out to walk. Not to encourage them to take their car to play.

With small regional areas like currently or even smaller, we can easily see on the map the color of the leading faction. It may look like a mosaic that changes with the days. We can therefore easily see the efforts we are going to make to try to get our faction in the lead in such and such a region.

With large regional areas, the map will have the same color uniformly and if the score is important, we will be less motivated to change it because it will seem too difficult.

This seems valid for small towns. With or without the surrounding villages.

For large cities, mega-cities and capitals, the city and its suburbs should be divided into several zones. Which is probably already the case.

In all cases, there is the problem of areas of forests, mountains, lakes, very sparsely populated agricultural land between the towns.

So how do you keep small dynamic areas without them being surrounded by large relatively deserted areas?

Perhaps by leaving only small areas of more or less similar size, even if it means that some have only 1 settlement, or even none in certain places ...

• EarthtoneEarthtone Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

it seems the game is trolling now. An Eagle has found the only settlement that is ‘in’ my local area and put 8VP in it. Meanwhile I have a 2,000+ point blue settlement that I can reach from my personal settlement

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited February 20

It's obvious that national scoring is not a popular idea, aside from being a Really Dumb Idea for reasons of geopolitics.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

This update has left us more confused. So if it isnt ready there wont be rewards this season or even next? So what does the smaller regions on the map do if the local scoring area encompass the whole country? Does tt mean when its ready the rewards will be based on smaller region + country level?

• DavinaClaireDavinaClaire Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Local scoring will be more meaning to all factions (Eagles , Wolves and Bear) . Whole country will still be most populated by bear which by huge numbers , bear will win for sure . Unless the game can calculate Victory Points per active members or some good numbers to show fairness .

In addition, due to changes made to drawing of the local region , all players will be affected where they placed personal settlement (also considered for local scoring) . As such , will all players entitled a card to move the personal settlement .

Please consider the factors and consequences above .

Thank you for reading.

@DavinaClaire Do,people actually use the personal settlements if not at their home location/actual home region?

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

My earlier comment i suggested national and regional .... but i had not considered the geopolitical which @SoylentGrien and others have pointed out.

Tough nut to crack need data

Would,prefer the portal dnesity and the s2 cells to decide the upper cell boundaries as we already seen the lower cell boundaries and that worked better - these accidental ones actually got better algorithim in comparison to the current ones.

Maybe a team was working on improving regions and wanting to see what it looked like, it accidentally overlapped with the current ones.

• DavinaClaireDavinaClaire Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

@Wind We do use personal settlement for scoring purpose . We play with a few friends so we decide to put at a ‘designated local region’ where we can win . Some of us live at region A but we may put at region C . Personal settlement location may not be at Golden settlement location .

However , seemed like mapping will change which causes our group scoring region to be different (not in synergy) .

With the moving card entitlement, we will decide to shift to another ‘designated’ region . Hopefully able to win .

Hope I explain well .