News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Local Scoring Issues & the Future of the Scoring System

2»

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@DavinaClaire if they announce zone changes in advance then you will not be compensated. Its your choice to move a personal settlement away from the usual home spot usually for strategic reasons.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20

@CATANdominik can i clarify does it mean that the new scoring system is national + global level or small regions (the new white boxes) + national level? Its confusing because of the line “ We are planning to switch the local score to encompass your whole country.”

a quick search of the word local says relating or restricted to a particular area or one's neighbourhood. So calling the national level your local score makes me think that the new system is national + global which means the eagles are probably gonna become extinct.

Please let us know what the 2 levels of competition are and what they include. Thanks.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Hmmm.... why not make a crazy hybrid system of personal effort and team totals?

3 tiers of team competition local(small region), big region, global

your team winning any 2 get 10 ep ... any 1 get 5 ep

you get 2000 VP get 10 ep

max 20ep

if you get 10000 VP you automatically get 20ep.

edited February 20

@ZinkyZonk sounds interesting but it seems too much for them to handle a 2 out of 3 system seeing how they are restricting to 2 levels competition. (whatever those 2 levels may be, still awaiting clarification)

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

This is a dumb idea to national scoring,

If you do this @CATANdominik you will lose players, as effectively it is a game about who can Spoo f the most! Either by some 3rd party cheating app and/or with Totems

@CATANdominik there is a good. Reason why I stopped playing in my local cell.

Spoo fing! Encouraged Spoo fing with the Totems made it unplayable!

What we requested was for regional scoring, not national

If you want national scoring, then there will need to be another scoring zone specifically for national scores.

Auckland has the largest population.

Along with Wellington, New Zealand, you have pushed every other city and region out of reason to compete. There will be no incentive for small cities and towns to play at ALL with national scoring replacing local suburban cells!

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 21

I would be in favour of more scoring areas (probably 3) even if only 2 gave rewards and the other(s) were bragging rights. People feel more connected and invested in an area that has more meaning to them. Hence the local regions or a larger city/regional/state/national area as an additional tracking option(s). While global is of some interest overall it is far less compelling, especially while the scoring favours larger teams (whole other topic of debate).

The more you can help people feel connected and invested in their scoring area the more they will play. I nejoy the competition in the local areas around me and would love to know how my city/state or country play out but only as an addition to that local competition.

I am looking forward to the new season and the change of local area region. The layout seems odd for my local region but I think (hope) that the competition will change and make it more compelling and varied. I would agree the old local regions probably are too small but there is also a point where they become too big and national is well past that point. I think the other benefot of the local regions closer to now (this or next season), is the ability to change them up from time to time to impact strategy, variety and competition between seasons.

• RandomExplorersRandomExplorers Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

@Wind

"@DavinaClaire if they announce zone changes in advance then you will not be compensated. Its your choice to move a personal settlement away from the usual home spot usually for strategic reasons."

• Yes, they are announcing the zone changes in advance, but our personal settlements have already been in place since a few seasons ago, before this new rezoning exercise.

Anyway, as long as average or top x is not adopted, I dont see there is any way that Eagles can win at any level, if we are outnumbered by blues just due to the sheer number of players in that area alone (regardless of local or regional or national or whatever way they want to call it). The board game have simple mechanics to ensure fair play - 1 player 1 turn. The current implementation (assuming 10 bears and 1 eagles) will allow bears to have equivalent of 10 turns (eg on a settlement) and eagles with only 1 turn.

As I mentioned previously, the scoring system (and especially the catch up mechanism to try to artificially fix it) are flawed as it is not designed with fair play at core.

• CatAnDogCatAnDog Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

Somehow I get the feeling they screwed up on the zoning, didn't know how to fix it in time, hence the idea of doing away with local scoring altogether

• daedae Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

Bump!

What they said! ;)

@Queglar is definitely on the money.

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

Btw: at the moment only the VPs gained in the personal settlement count for the local region. At least this is the case for oink-eroni mural in Switzerland. Can someone please fix this @CATANdominik @CATANFiona?

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 144 Community Manager, Global

Thanks for the extensive feedback about this. As we are still in beta, there are a few things we want to try out to see how it affects gameplay, one of them is national scoring. For technical reasons it was difficult for us to make the "global game" the new "national game". Therefore we decided to move ahead and adjusted the local regions to become bigger to encompass the whole country. We consider this a test - and it does not mean that local scoring is gone forever. We would like to see how players compete in regions with more competition. Once this is live, please let us know how it plays in practice.

We understand that this new "national scoring" in place of "regional scoring" isn't to everyones preference, but we would ask you to give this a chance. Then we can better see what long term scoring levels are best.

@Schnuefu Similar issues have been reported in the bugs section and we will look into this. Thanks.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

Thanks, good to clarify that it is a test only. 👍

We’ll see (and probably be very disappointed with it 🤣) how it works but at least you’ll have the data then. 👍

edited March 3

As long as we get local cell,size back in the future - im happy.

• XlaolangXlaolang Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

This game is getting more and more bias towards team with large base number of players. In Singapore, Team Eagle has the least population and it has always being a struggle for the team to overtake a Local region from others.

Now with all the Local regions combining into National region (Country), it is so obvious that a winning team is pre-determined even before any season starts.

I am utterly disappointed in how this game develops overtime. Last minute announcement of changes leading to confusion of players. Game logic keeps changing and unresolved bugs lasting for seasons.

I would expect a massive change to team population or drop-out rate over the next few seasons if the game continues to be bias towards certain group of players.

Agreed with @Charmq

we would like to see the data from each cells (to group by country) from the last 4 seasons & also number of active players per faction globally from the last 6 seasons

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

With the minor change to regions this season I have found the competition in my area has died, unsure why but there is minimal scores from 2 of the 3 factions. The lack of competition impacts the drive to do more. While I can appreciate the desire to test a national system I expect we will see a similar effect but across the country of competition being effectively dead. Whether that is for an eagle who can't win or a bear who dominates, the effect is no need to get out and push for your team as it is not needed or meaningless.

@CATANdominik ”Once this is live, please let us know how it plays in practice” does that mean it hasnt started this season yet or it has already started this season? I cant tell because of the region changes, i have

• A settlement with the “within your local region heading” that does not add to my local score,
    • A settlement without the above heading but adds to my local score
    • A settlement without the above heading which does not add to my local score or even to my neighbouring region.
  • CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 144 Community Manager, Global

@ChaiAddict "National region scoring" is not live at this point. I can't say at this point when it will.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

I hope never for the reasons I have already outlined. Do not make scoring regions based on geopolitical boundaries. Arbitrary regions of approximately equal population make more sense.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

Local cell scores are broken everywhere, so there is no way to gauge what affect is on the new regions