CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

Off-Topic

Catan compared to other AR games

AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as many people here play or have played other AR/geolocation games (especially Niantic platform ones). How would you compare it to other now after most of you have been playing for some months?

What is the best thing here compared to others? What CWE does well? What does it do worse compared to other 3 Niantic games for example?

AR/geolocation capabilities. Does it feel like a full AR game with immersion to the POIs? Does it encourage exploration more or less than the other games?

And finally generically, does it feel like the game has longevity to exist and give reason for play for years to come? At least Ingress seems to be like this even though it very rarely gets any new content unlike PoGo or HPWU that rely on constant flow of new things.

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ingress still the best, mainly due to gameplay versatility and portal interaction

catan comes second, beating the other two mainly due to refreshing strategies ones can do after each season refreshes.

pogo and hpwu, both collect em all games which can be a massive chorefest anyway. Only reason pogo is ahead of hpwu due to nostalgia and sentimental growing up with it since its hometown debut in 1999.

• ZenithBZenithB Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited March 12

I like this better than PoGo, but not as much as Ingress.

Pogo feels very grindy sometimes with no indication of much progress. Sometimes I forget what I'm playing for, I just walk around getting stops and catching Pokemon aimlessly.

Ingress's simplicity and beauty is something to behold, IMO. It's such a simple, yet deep and balanced game. I truly love it.

As for CWE, I feel once the game is fully ironed out, it will be a great experience. I think the potential in CWE is immense, once bugs and balancing is worked out.

I think about how much fun it would be to have multiple regular players from all three factions competing for mayoral roles and control of cities. Would be great fun.

One annoyance I can see moving forward, though, is players not agreeing on building layout of settlements. Or not coordinating, and just placing buildings because they can.

Think of some newbie coming in on day 1 of a season and putting fairgrounds down on all * tiles at your settlements. I wouldn't be happy haha.

So I feel there are some potential issues with the gameplay if it became alot more popular, but if those could be worked out, if will be amazing fun!

• 0ZinkyZonk0ZinkyZonk Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

+1 for ingress being the best. But she's a beast to play. I have some real world obligations that make it so hard to play much ingress at all. Catan is more forgiving ... it suits my life style.

I like:

• building and growing things. I like that noone can break my settlement placements once it is done it's done until the end of the season.
    • just as in ingress there is certainty with play action. The RNG on spelling confoundables and catching pokemon is just annoying. But if I play a building I know it will land. I throw a link it will throw.
    • the season concept. It means I can check out for a season and come back next season ready to go.
    • the minigames are so cute.
    • this game makes me happy - to be honest ingress can be choresville .
    • love how you can play catan as both a planned thing or shiggle fest. (translation for non ingress players: choose to place specific buildings or just let the carousel suggestion be what's built)

I am a total fan for this game. 🤩