CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

Game Feedback

Share your comments and suggestions to improve the game

The story of Catan and Nerd Ninjas

AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

If you people in Catan team have some extra time at some point, it would be interesting to hear more about the story and history of Catan World Explorers and Nerd Ninjas. 🙂

When was the idea of making this game born? Was the idea there already before actual founding of Nerd Ninjas or was it just something that you started when NN already existed?

When was the serious work to design and create the game started and when was the first line of code written? Was Niantic and Niantic real world platform part of the project from the beginning or did you end up together later?

9 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭

What inspiration did you get from other games, if any?

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

Good to hear. 🙂 Any ideas when this is? I know that you simply don’t know the date but loosely, what do you still need to do?

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 225 Community Manager, Global

@AjanHukka Haha, nice try. My lips are sealed. 🤐

edited March 26

Hah, if you talk about launch, I ask about launch. 😉

@CATANdominik @CATANFiona judging by what work is left, other than roads.

We still need roads before launch.

And based on releases of other Niantic games, we could be looking at a worldwide release in June 2021

edited March 28

I honestly don’t think roads are coming before release. Those would be a gigantic change and need a lot of testing and those would change the game totally. Of course if they are going to bring them before we are probably not even close to release yet. With current speed it’s more like +1 year of bug fixes and balancing before they would release if they want to have functioning roads feature.

• 0ZinkyZonk0ZinkyZonk Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@AjanHukka I feel the game has many moving parts under the surface. Lots of ways to tweak the game to perform in different ways. I think they are really testing how folk engage with the game in all these sorts of data metric ways. Clever sorts of ways we really can't see from just our individual player perspectives.

I think roads won't need lots of seasons of testing - they will make a dramatic change but the trading/building/exploring/resource gathering/rolling seems to be a complex eco system that really needed bedding down prior to adding a the roads feature . Totally excited about roads .... crossing my fingers for their inclusion in season 14. I will test them with all of my ability. Will they cost 1 lumber and 1 brick to build? Looking forward to them!

• M42M42 Member Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Having never played the board game, what function do roads play?

@M42 roads serve to

- enable expansion

- gain VP for the longest road

- enable building of an army

I have not played the expansion Traders and Barbarians which includes caravans which travel via roads

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

And prevent opponents from crossing your road with theirs. This is a major strategic ploy to prevent your opponent from getting access to resources.

I can't quite see how they would translate to this game. I imagine something like vp for building the longest road for your faction, and possibly vp for your own longest road.

That could be quite awesome actually, racing to complete a road to prevent the opposition joining two long roads 😁

• 0ZinkyZonk0ZinkyZonk Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I am really very keen to see how they will do roads. I am desperate for the enevitable comparison with ingress links ....( there will be grumping from die hard ingress groupies lol but variety is the spice of life and I want to see how roads can be incorporated into CWE )

Well, it would be interesting. But the most important thing would be to actually release the game first in its current form. Then it would be exciting to look for future. 😅

One more thought. How much has Catan GmbH and/or Klaus Teuber been involved in the design of Catan World Explorers features? I see CWE has sone nice implementations of board game features in this rather different setting of travelling in the real world. Or is it just @CATANnate and you people of Nerd Ninjas who have designed everything in this game?

Wouldn’t it start to be a time already to start to tell something @CATANdominik ? 😉

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 225 Community Manager, Global

@AjanHukka Love your excitement, but I have to ask for your patience on this matter. 😊

Heh, I knew you would say that. 😂

But well, these are things you could talk about when the time comes anyway.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭

Roads in settlements could be interesting but roads between settlements should be awesome.

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Re Roads suggestion:

What if a Road automatically appears between settlements that you are either Mayor or city councillor on? And additional garden resource tiles appeared along the walking tracks/roads between the two points? That'd be added incentive to both try and get mutliple close by settlements, and added reason to go into enemy territory to 'break up' their roads!