News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Developer Spotlight – Interaction Radius Experimentation, Season 13

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 38 Game Developer
edited April 6 in News & Announcements

Over the last few seasons, we greatly expanded the player interaction radius from 32m to 80m. This will be changed in the upcoming Season 13. After extensive testing we have concluded that a medium range of 50 meters will serve our game much better in the long run. The original radius was pretty cramped and limiting, which is why we wanted to increase it. And a decent test requires doing something that’ll generate measurable effects opposed to wondering if we “didn’t go far enough.” That’s why we initially decided to increase the radius all up to 80 meters. 

Looking at interaction radius in a bubble can be seen as a no-brainer: more is better. However, when you take into account how it meshes with the scale of other objects and elements of the game world along with the mechanics or rewards of those objects, it gets a little more complicated.

Shrubs

The first thing players notice is an overwhelming amount of shrubs. This may seem great initially, but when you collect them all, take a few steps, and have to stop walking in order to collect them again, it is no longer an outdoor “walking game”. 

Catanians

Next up - the Catanians. They’d be in front of you, behind you - hiding amongst all the shrubs watching your every move, ready to offer you a quest or trade.

Results

Visually it’s a bit intense.

More importantly it creates an impossible mission for players. The goal of shrubs and Catanians is to be something “between the spaces” and not a reason to stop everything halfway to the next settlement you want to visit. 

The benefit of the increased radius was of great value - being able to reach Resource Centers and Settlements more easily is very important, especially for those in rural areas. 

As a result we would like to rein in the radius just a bit. Your feedback was very helpful in our process, and we’ve landed at 50m for the time being. This is still a 36% increase from what it was originally. 50m feels like the right balance between giving a more friendly radius, but without making this a couch game or a game that interrupts you too often when going for a stroll. As always, we may continue tinkering with this number, so please let us know your thoughts after trying it out.

For your reference, here’s a comparison of various radius settings.

32m Interaction Radius - Original

80m Interaction Radius - Seasons 11-12

50m - Season 13

Note

The density of spawns in your geographic area may vary from my screenshots above - there are some recent posts on the subject which are being looked into.

Thanks for your feedback!

The development team thanks you for your continued participation, passion, patience, and posts (even if they aren’t on this platform - we’d prefer they were though!)

We hope Catan – World Explorers can bring some joy into your day and that everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 443 ✭✭✭

Good move. I always have felt that the standard radius of games like Ingress and PoGo is just marginally a little bit too small whichmay ne annoying with GPS drifting to wrong direction. 50 m is just enough to nicely reach things.

• LybsterNeepieLybsterNeepie Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

The large radius has been fun but overwhelming at time and has meant I have been tempted to stop walking to play and by the time I have done everything within reach the first RCs have timed out and it’s time to start again! This sounds a improvement

• WindWind Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭

168m radius was just too much rendering the boost card range extender almost pointless....

50m radius from past seasons was solid

cant wait to fiddle with 100ish metres radius.....

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Won't lie will miss the radius as big as it was .... but is it's ok

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

@CATANEir it is a good compromise.

Will see how 50m goes this season

• WindWind Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the notice this time, the first time the large radius came in, i was confused then news came in after but i would prefer some advance notice to avoid shock confusions.

• GavinseGavinse Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

why reducing the fun....

this range reduction is as stupid, as the text above!

you are reducing..and thats why the new is larger than the old.....?!?!

I played. Lot last season...because i could!!

and most important, i spent money to play even more....this season....there will be ZERO Money from me, because i loose 4 Spots...no Settlement from Home...and too much Life to play a lot outside.....

no fun for me this season.....

• ThaneusThaneus Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I liked the bigger radius for my playstyle. I will miss it, and will probably now play less as I cannot reach any settlements from my house, where I could before.

• JazzyJ28JazzyJ28 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

I used to play on my bus ride to work. Reduced radius means that can't happen :( Was stoked with the extended played so much. Won't play as much now :(

• JazzyJ28JazzyJ28 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

I also hate the are you driving notification/cheat detected notice on the bus. Sometimes I'd tap a RC before the bus slowed enough and I'd miss out.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    edited March 17

Psychology hits again. If it had been a direct 32->50 everybody would be happy. 😅

If it had been 200->80 people would be equally annoyed. 🙂

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@Gavinse I was confused by that text too, originally. It means it is larger than the first interaction range. Poorly worded, but.

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I'm not liking the reduced interaction range, but I'm getting used to it. Quite frankly, in the tropics it's still too freaking hot to be wandering around (even in a zig zag way) in the sun. I need to keep to shade to avoid heatstroke, and this isn't making it easy 😕

• ChiyoChiyo Member Posts: 1

I don't mind the drop in radius to 50m, I think it's probably a good compromise, I only have the 80m to compare to but the 32m looks way to tiny. I have only recently started playing (approx. < 1 week) , I just wish I knew the interaction radius was going to change because I've foolishly placed my personal settlement juuuust out of range. I didn't realise the game was a PoGo style walking game when I installed it, I actually saw it advertised while playing another phone game and have always loved the board game the few times I've played. I guess I figured it would be more a Farmville style game. Still having fun though, and I could probably use the motivation to get outside and walk😅, wish I didn't put my garden resources in my neighbors backyard though

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Between 32 and 80 it's 56 not 50... Radius is really too small again now

The 80 radius was good to reach ressource centers and settlements so as you can't increase number of POI just keep the 80 radius. For shrubs and catanians just spawn less of them and it will be perfect. But for me it was not too intense. All was perfect in the two last seasons.

Area with 32 radius: 3217 square meters

Area with 50 radius: 7853 square meters

Area with 80 radius: 20'106 square meters

Area between 32 radius and 80 radius is 11'662 square meters so a radius of: 61 meters. So 50 is a bit too small.

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Much prefer the larger radius due to safety and not disturbing local residents. With this range I have to give up on some settlements as it creates too much of a problem in residential areas. However I can appreciate the current range and will likely get used to it in a couple seasons. Super grateful it isn't the original range which was far too small.

The animations need to become skippable though as they take up too much time which is more of a hinderance with the smaller radius. I prefer to keep walking and not stop for 10 mins because I am waiting for animations. The larger radius was great as you could slow your pace and get most things done before you were out of range (yes, animations was still a pain).

• Qu33nAnG3LQu33nAnG3L Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭
    edited March 18

Singapore

yes this is now one zone.

but central Singapore there are NO

resources, settlements, spawning of shrubs or Catanians !!

what is going on?

see seperate bug report submitted this morning SG time

• QueglarQueglar Member Posts: 38 ✭✭

I can't help but think the increased radius also mucked up performance a bit. But agree with the sentiment expressed above - resource animations are. very. annoying.

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 21 ✭✭

I miss this...