News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: What types of quest objectives do you consider the most fun?

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 213 Community Manager, Global
edited April 27 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

We would love your help in gathering feedback on what types of quest objectives you enjoy the most from Catanians in CATAN – World Explorers. This poll will be in tandem with another poll regarding what action you take when you see a Catanian on the map, feel free to check that out after voting here! Please vote in the poll below, and share your thoughts in the comments!

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Poll: What types of quest objectives do you consider the most fun? 28 votes

Walking and Exploration (Discovering POI’s, walking certain distances, or collecting from Shrubs)
10%
LybsterNeepieTrichoplaxLizzi 3 votes
Harvest and Trading ( Walking over or collecting from Resource Garden Tiles, Collecting resources, harvesting from POI’s, or trading with Catanians/Gilda/Bank)
35%
CataniusBATTFAMElderKoreanYannikWindMykanSharronBaggsGandalfTheWhiteDanellie 10 votes
Building and Scoring (Playing Settlement upgrade cards, or scoring VP)
10%
ExplorerXAstonMartinDKAppo 3 votes
Research and Crafting ( Crafting cards, collecting RP, spending VP, or salvaging cards)
3%
Thurifer 1 vote
Minigames and Harvest Dice ( Playing Dice Toss Minigames or play Harvest Dice)
21%
CarneLluminaireSuzyau66ADAhelsingorGaryTheGreatAusMacUser 6 votes
Other (please leave comment)
17%
All1r0GDavejjjjjTahalnyouAmoebaNavigator 5 votes

Comments

• All1r0GAll1r0G Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

Walking but not exploring (except in the very first days of season, afterwards there's simply nothing left to explore within walking distance)

Harvesting but not trading

Shrubs

• WindWind Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harvest and Trading ( Walking over or collecting from Resource Garden Tiles, Collecting resources, harvesting from POI’s, or trading with Catanians/Gilda/Bank)

These grouping from the poll isnt gonna help you out much as each varies at sifferent point during a season.

Discovering & exploring is only fun for me if i am working on my explorer & pioneer badge for ingress so it is nice to shake up route plans each season for building cards farming.

i am more of discovering & building up early season for my needs then full on harvesting (RC harvesting & settlement harvest rolls) & trading remander of season with occassional mini games to get Quests done.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@CATANdominik the poll does not allow for multiple answers

For. Instance you can't score VP without a lot of buildings, whi h you can't do with a lot of dice throwing

• WindWind Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok so i had my coffee and i mustve misread the thread objective.  I’ll rank them by tier list in terms on how fun when comes to quests.

A Tier:

Harvesting resources

Trading resources

Scoring VP

Upgrading buildings

B Tier:

Collecting shrubs & RP

Salvaging cards

Crafting cards

Play Minigames

Play the Harvesting dices

C Tier:

Walking over park tiles (not everyone have access to,parks so their garden tiles only hope)

Upgrading settlement (Rural players may not have many settlements to work with)

Contributing for growth of hexes (same as above)

D Tier:

Discovering locatioms (Less the better otherwise itll get ignored mid-late season)

Exploring locations (Keep it suburban & rural friendly)

Walking distances (Keep it short or noone would do them)

E Tier:

Spending RP (Once you unlock it all, nothing left)

• DavejjjjjDavejjjjj Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

Favourites:

Shrubs

Trading - more than gustav please

Resources collection

OK:

Dice toss - but too many taverns

Harvest dice - ok

Settlement buildings upgrade - 3 is easy so ok

Discover locations - but harder to do later in the season for same

Walking - but 5000 takes too long with only 3 quest slots

Dislike:

Upgrade settlement - annoying to do beyond first day of season

Explore 10 settlements - i mean come on having to go way out of your way beyond the first day or two

What's needed is a rebalancing of the quests, and ability to get an extra quest slot to help do some of these much more conveniently.

• AmoebaAmoeba Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

I chose other as no "set" answered well for me. I like shrubs, the walking one only at certain times. I like harvesting one too - more accurately the rewards are for these. Later in the season my choices differ to earlier in the season too.

Honestly, I like ones I can clear and move on. There's no point taking a well rewarded quest that's going to take 24 hours of you could do 3 less well rewarded ones in half the time.

All quests suck when you're a passenger as the glitches make the game unplayable (as low as 50km/hr.... often even while parked... or walking around a shopping centre I get the driving warning).

• DogwelderDogwelder Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

Personally and i think this will be unpoplar. but Rolling Robber x 5 quest for Archive cards should be a quest.

• NavigatorNavigator Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

Previous poster Amoeba pretty accurately reflects how I feel about the game so really nothing more to say accept that exploration quests are pointless late in the season as why walk 5K steps when I can do three smaller quests for similar reward. The pay-off isn't proportionate to the difficulty of the task.

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Trading trading trading!!! Not walking. To slow.

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 213 Community Manager, Global

@Grogyan Our form system does not allow polls with multiple answers. But there is always the opportunity for more nuanced replies in the comments.

@CATANdominik myself, it is dependent on the day, some days I feel the Dice game is enjoyable.

Other days I find crafting buildings enjoyable.

As for research.

We are at the limit of what is available, so RP has no value.

Though I can guess that Tier 4 Settlements are coming after release, along with Epic and Legendary buildings, which I seriously hope will be limited to events to ensure fair chance for everyone to get them.

Currently, Bell Towers and Libraries are junk buildings

Rolling the robber isn't fun, and is detrimental to everyone, instead of following the board game to prevent one faction from gaining resouces from * tiles

Basically we're being asked, is the current game, ā strategy game?

It isn't, it is still Farmville.

Granted many people like that style of the game.

Others like myself, like pure strategy games. Which the Catan board game is.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭

It’s difficult to make an AR game strategic. If it’s about exercise and walking outside it’s natural to make it just so that the amount you play the game matters. Maybe roads will make it more complex in the future.

But reading these, seems like different people like different stuff. It’s always nice to have it that way actually.

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I like all the quests, whether it's early to middle or late in the season.

But it all depends on the time available to do the quest, as well as the time of day, the weather, the reward ...

Some days I can't find the right quest for me. So I happen to take a quest for the next day. And sometimes I can't realize it.

Certain quests prompt me to change and improve the way I play.

Currently the quests I use the most are:

Play dice toss. Explore locations. Trade. Shrubs. Walking.

Then Play Harvest 5 settlement. Explore settlement. Harvesting 40 xxx Cards.

Upgrade settlement is only if I already have at least 5 cards or if I already thought about upgrading a settlement.

I shun exploring resource quests because of the steeples as a reward.

Erland is lagging behind as I prefer to find the quest near a park and have time to do it. And now that I have understood that it is 200 resource tokens and not 200 tiles, I will take it more often.

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

It depends a lot on the quest, time in the season and what I am actually doing. It also depends on the difficulty or perceived difficulty and the reward for the effort to achieve it. I mainly do the quests for the rewards either minigames or buildings. So the more I can complete the more rewards I get. So doing a discover quest when I am not going anywhere new or park tiles when I am not going to a park are pointless, however if I am going to a new location or a park they become higher priority.

If I can do 2 quests fairly easily but one gives bell towers and the other mini-games or a rare building I will take the one with better rewards (for me that is not the bell towers).

Most quests I can do in a few hours, so if a quest will take me a day or more it just gets avoided. If we had an ability to increase quest slots I might be more inclined to do some of the longer ones while still turning over the ones I see as easier. Hard to say as we don't have this option so can't test it.

Generally the quests themselves are decent and the fact the relevance varies throught a season can be good. But the rewards need reviewing for consistency and in terms of difficulty.