News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

National Competitions Are Being Extended Into Season 14

CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 376 Admin
edited April 27 in News & Announcements

Hi Explorer,

As you may know, we have been experimenting with National Competitions in Season 13. National Competitions create one region per country, rather than smaller local regions. We hoped this temporary Seasonal theme would make the game even more fun for some of our players who live in remote areas, while also upping the stakes for players in more densely populated areas. National Competitions were intended to only last for one Season, but we have decided to continue testing them through Season 14.

Why did we decide to extend testing for National Competitions? We know the rollout of National Competitions was not perfect, your feedback has been invaluable in tracking down scoring oddities and helping us make the system stronger and more versatile. We would love to see how players like the gameplay through one full season of fully functioning National Competitions. As we are still in beta, we are constantly testing/tweaking the game to make it the best it can be! National Competitions are not going to be permanent, we will continue to dial and adjust regions to keep the game interesting and engaging. 

All of that being said, we would love to hear your feedback about National Competitions so far. Please share your feedback with us in this poll We can’t wait to hear from you. 

-The CATAN – World Explorers Team 

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2

Hey why not introduce a 3rd scoring tier ?

global - national(or large regional) - local (or small regional)

edit:

large regional scale chatroom is a great plus from this season so far personally but really miss the smaller local scale territorial gameplay.

Post edited by Wind on
  • WindWind Member Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Grogyan and @BATTFAM

if people likes the national level, then consider going for a three tier system, but please bring back the local scoring as they are usually stores the resource spread data.

and been taking a look at the map and scoring section and i must tell you....overdue for a redesign

pretty sure the majority wants a larger map screen...so the faction tally can go as nopoint in having duplicated so keep all in the scores tab

at the top, it can have the quick shortcuts for current location, personal, golden and totem along with totemtoken count

below the maps can have the location name (and local region tag) then season timer, then tabs toggle between map and score, nearby settlements and the close button

in the scores tab can shows all 3 tiers as well as personal score.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

My VP and time spent this season has been much less than in previous seasons. Not because of pique with National scoring but life circumstances.

A point to consider

I think we probably need to know where the resource boundaries change if we are going to continue with a national format so we can see whether going to a location will be the same or different resources

• M42M42 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I actually don't mind having the scoring regions national and global for awhile if it helps the game developers. Actually I have seen 4 new players in Maryborough, where I work, this past season. 2 Eagle and 2 Wolves and me being the only Bear. I dunno if that has anything to do with the scoring regions, but I'm guessing they are Pokemon players that have tried the game previously and noticed that blues were killing it locally and Globally and were put off. But now they've seen their own Pokemon colours are competitive they decided to try again.

Are those global scores accurate though? How can the blues be so dominant for months, then be leading by a lot one day then suddenly another team gets a tonne of points and the blues lose the lead by quite a margin overnight? Whose doing your scoring, Dominion??

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Lol @M42 that tag line on your comment might be dry humour here in oz a distance away from USA ... but i think it's kinda raw in the US still. So might not be considered funny at all.

But i do agree with you about the national scoring not being the doom and gloom end of catan a few here have felt it would be. Have definitely had some new players sprout in my area 😁

• cerealkillercerealkiller Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

How is national regions good for remote areas. I am in a semi remote area and I have about the same resources within 10km radius of home as a city player has in 1km. So again I ask how is this good for us.

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Ha!

We have 1 (one) Settlement and 2 (two) widely spaced resource sites within a 10 km radius. Going into our local town makes us giddy with excitement in this game 😂

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

You ignored feedback that it was a stupid idea when you had to announce this (when the scoring regions went haywire).

You ignored feedback that it was a stupid idea when it actually started.

You ignored feedback that it was a stupid idea during the season.

And now you ignore feedback and push on into another season.

And with that I'm deleting the app.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Any news on what’s happening next season? Back to small areas or?!?!