Report a Bug

Share issues that you've found in the game

Dice throws: Erratic when throwing

MykanMykan Member Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

While there is another dice throwing bug I believe that is a seperate bug as it relates to sending dice into space. This bug has only appeared recently and relates to the action of throwing the dice.

When throwing dice in settlements and mini-games (not noticed in daily dice) the dice can behave erraticly and do one of 3 things:

1. Behave normally: so a predictable speed/distance on the screen tends to get a predictable result.
  2. Behave super charged: so a gentle roll is equal to a super powered throw across the entire screen. Can even result in throwing into the water on the giant maps with only moderate rolls.
  3. Behave sluggishly: so a gentle roll barely goes anywhere and drops into the water in front of the board. Or just goes only 1/2 the distance one was expecting.

I have not yet found any predictability in the throws since this started to occur (around the start of the season). Playing multi dice minigames with a similar action can get 2 extremely different results. This makes aiming whether for settlement gold coin or any specific hex in the minigames extremely difficult and frustrating.

8 votes

Bug: Investigating · Last Updated

We are investigating this issue. Bug #17004

Comments

• CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 357 Admin

@Mykan Thanks for reporting this. We are having some trouble reproducing this reliably on our end. Can you provide your device details and maybe provide a video clip or two of this in action so that we can observe it?

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

My phone is a Samsung galaxy A71. Partners phone is the same and she has the same issue. I will have to see if I can figure out the video aspect.

• SilvrSwanSilvrSwan Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

iPhone 8 Plus also gets the random bounce wildly into space for no reason. First time I thought I must have accidentally touched the edge of screen but it has happened twice more.

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited May 4

@CATANFiona

It also happens to me frequently, at least once a week on average for several seasons.

It is indeed disappointing to throw a dice that should land around the middle of the game and see it go into space and fall far into the water.

The only way to prevent this from happening again in the next mini game is to quit the game, clean up the 20MB or 100MB that are cluttering the device cache, then relaunch the game.

I noticed that my tel redmi note 7 tends to get slow or hang after the following actions:

- Switch to map mode then zoom out a little to move it 500 meters or more. Either to watch, or to send a totem pole.

In the case of a totem action, you must send the totem, then restart the game before entering the settlement to build there. Otherwise the phone is so slow that it takes several minutes to build a single building (the carousel doesn't help either.)

- Go through a settlement that has many buildings.

- Quickly play several mini games in a row.

In short, these actions often then lead to some inconvenience such as the inability to pivot and therefore to look to the right or to the left, leaving the game piece in the same place when we have moved from 50 to 100m ...

So I imagine it's my device's cache that is either too small or not cleaned regularly. Especially since the problem can sometimes resolve itself after a certain time.

And sometimes I have to do this action of cleaning my cache several times per hour... 😥

• WindWind Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭

@Grogyan perhqps what @Tahalnyou summarized could be related to low framerate issues you were having?

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

@Wind @CATANFiona

The low framerate I have affects the inertia of the dice being thrown.

Not sure if my issue is the same as the OP. But it sounds the same

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

More specifically, the low frame rate is due to the app syncing to the server every 100ms or so for the time-of-flight of the dice

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

I've also noticed this. Samsung Note. Definitely correlates to frame rate decrease. I experience most days.