News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Season 15: Fenni’s Shearing Season (with smaller scoring regions)

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 169 Community Manager, Global
edited April 29 in News & Announcements

It’s Fenni’s Shearing Season!

We are trying out something new this time: a themed Season that highlights one of the five Resources. Giving you the opportunity to try out new strategies as wool is available in higher quantities throughout the SeasonSeason 15.

Fenni is out to play this Season, so keep an eye out for some wooly hijinks…

• Gilda’s trade rates will be improved from 7:1 to 4:1 for wool trades
  • Daily recap rewards will contain increased wool resources
  • These changes will last all Season long! Please be sure to shear your feedback in the Community Forum!

Lastly, we are adjusting the size of scoring regions back to smaller regions after two Seasons of National Competitions. Thanks to all who shared feedback on these changes!

A new Season is about to begin… Are you up for the challenge? Do you have what it takes to guide your Faction to a win next Season?

Yours

The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Edit: "Daily quest rewards" were changed to "daily recap rewards".

Post edited by CATANdominik on
Tagged:

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27

Hey @ZinkyZonk you might want to skip the upcoming season.....

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Lol @Wind ..... sheep arghhh!!!! My least favourite resource!!!!! Can't staple house can't treasury can't community centre with wool!!!!

Lololololol..... lol it's all good 😁

Love the idea actually!

Will definitely *shear* how i go in season 15. Lololol

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 480 ✭✭✭

Hmmm...what I understand about game mechanics this seems like just annoyance if you have more wool that you need.

And if wool trade rate is still 3:1 at best it doesn’t seem to be any real boost. 🤔 Consider making base wool trade rate 5:1 which could then be improved all the way to 2:1. That would make some sense. 🤔

Great for local to return.

only good thing out of National was the chatroom and thats it

But however, if this wool is not supposed to be a boost but rather a challenge to make the game harder because it requires you to concentrate more on trading. 🤔

Then this whole thing probably makes sense. 🙂😇

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Another uncaptivating season.

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 169 Community Manager, Global

@Grogyan What's the kind of seasonal change that you would like to see?

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am curious to see the size of these local regions. If it will be interesting to move to new neighborhoods or villages to discover new resources.

Regarding wool, that will not change me because I currently have more than 45% of resource centers that offer wool.

It's also been several seasons that I no longer trade with Gilda or in a settlement. Hence the interest in finding enough Catanians to find the one who will offer me the resource I need...

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Yay for local regions returning. I am keen to see what they look like and what competition is still around or new.

The theme is interesting although I am hoping this doesn't mean the same resource mix in all the local regions, as that was one of the boring aspects of a national region. If the resources mix up by region and sheep is just common everywhere, then it could be a challenging and interesting diversion for a season.

Either way, looking forward to tomorow's new season.

@CATANdominik you keep using the word "strategy"

Strategy in a strategy game is where the meta-game is. The interaction between players for an outcome.

Not the best way to farm.

We talked about this before, game needs at a minimum, roads where the longest chain of roads adds a lot to the meta-game. It is also expected as someone who enjoys the board game.

As for season flavour/flair/excitement.

Season long event!

By this I mean that there is clear defined objective.

For example, by the end of the season, the players on a faction that wins the local cell, get a unique building Flair banner, visible on the game map on each of their controlled settlements.

In addition

Players who gain (as an example) 2000VP also have the opportunity to unlock an Epic building.

These two objectives could appeal to single players, and local factions

@CATANdominik @CATANFiona because roads aren't implemented, and unlikely to be for a late May or early June worldwide release. Unless delaying it until the fall, which gives us 3 or so seasons to test and tune it.

The only option is for banners on settlements, with designs that players can choose from, and winning the local cell enables a Season Unique banner to choose from on your settlements.

That and enabling a short window of opportunity to unlock an Epic building if a player scores (for example) 2,000 VP for the season

In addition to the VP requirement to unlock the Epic building, 25,000 RP (example) is required to fully unlock the epic building.

These 3 things are server side controlled and requires virtually no updates to the client.

I would be very happy to be able to play this game in its current state. More strategy could be welcome but I don’t think it’s necessary to have it right away.

Farming game sounds nice too.

• CachedCached Member Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

@CATANdominik any explanation for the double bag capacity?

Back to the smaller chatrooms...thats terrible imo

Others I have talked to that stopped playing have said they are either bored because it is a farming game without a clear set objective, or have no nearby settlements to interact with.

Some will like having a farm ARG.

I am in the other camp, where I like strategy.

Farming resources is merely a small step in the overarching goal. The scoreboard is about the only strategy in the game, but the same same base building gets dull.

I do like the fact there is local faction chat, however due to the really tiny number of players currently playing in Auckland, New Zealand, it is nearly impossible to reach out to other fellow faction players. Where previously the national chat group was great to chit chat.

And I do like having the old, smaller local cells being back.

So, will play this season, see how it goes.

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

So, the 50 extra Building Cards, 100 extra Resource Cards, and 50 extra Dice Game capacity, is that temporary or permanent? Not complaining, mind!

• EwcalyptEwcalypt Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Yeah, regarding those extra bag spaces and free dice games. Would love an explanation on why some people got it and some people didn't. Whether it was intentional or not? A little annoying when a couple of my local friends got it, but then I didn't. That puts me at a huge disadvantage straight up.

• NavigatorNavigator Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

Loving the extra bag capacity but what's with the incessant hammering on settlements? No one else is building there but me so I know this is a glitch. Also the local scoring seems to broken as it hasn't moved in hours and I have been just casually throwing a few VP at it to poke the bear.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

I didnt get the bag capacity nor the daily recap resources.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

@CATANdominik

@CATANFiona

Another slap in the face... “up for the challenge... help your faction to a win”.

Are you for real?! After 2 seasons of winning both global and local but getting wrong lower reward, and then the last 2 seasons of no rewards despite wins and 2nd places?!? What incentive is there to strive for win when no rewards are forthcoming, no apologies and no reparations?

Still competing against players with 4 quest limit.... despite reporting this multiple times. Last time told it was impossible - which just shows how little you know of what is going on out in the field. A hugely unfair playing field after 8 months of putting up with this **** now.

NOW today multiple players I know have large increases to bag/inventory size this season... BUT the two players in my household have no increases at all. What is going on???

Two very patient and long suffering loyal players are getting very pissed off 😡

Happy to return to our local community regions... makes more sense.

Positive about the faction specific local chatroom too.

Like the idea of a themed season... keen to see how it goes.

PLEASE sort out the huge inventory bag inequality urgently 🙏🏼

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 169 Community Manager, Global

@all: We are currently investigating the topic of "extra bag space" and "free dice games". Something is not working as intended. I'll update you when I know more.

@Navigator The Hammer at Settlements represents that another player has interacted with this Settlement recently.

@Grogyan I appreciate your feedback about roads and other additional features - and will forward them to the team. Though, what I meant with my questions are smaller Season to Season changes that might impact strategic decisions (not new rewards for winning, or full new game features). If increasing the availability of one resource isn't enough to impact strategic decisions, I would be interested to hear suggestions for what would? Let me know if you (or others) have thoughts on this.

• NavigatorNavigator Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

So that settlement interaction hammer only stops after the settlement is ready to be harvested again? So far this appears to be the case. Also it appears the scoring still isn't updating for my local region. Is a lag of 8 hours normal?

edited April 28

<<We are currently investigating the topic of "extra bag space" and "free dice games". Something is not working as intended. I'll update you when I know more.>>

Ooooops! Maybe we should've kept quiet! :)

@Navigator We currently have two bugs that we are working on related to scoring:

1) Settlement scores sometimes are delayed. I don't really know by how long exactly. But in the end all points are counted.

2) Certain higher Tier buildings don't count their VP.

So you might be affected by one of them. If this isn't the case, and this is something else, please leave a report in the "Report a Bug" section.

• CachedCached Member Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

We have a disappearing settlement. It's word. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. It's got a heap of gear on it, but it's on holidays again.

It's on the totem map. This has been happening all day.

The settlement is "Supreme Court of Victoria", William st, Melbourne, Australia.

@CATANdominik using roads to resource centers from settlements can enable the specific resource to be rolled as a bonus resource from the settlement it is connected to.

Max, up to 3 roads from a settlement to resource centers. And only one, not all 3, of those resources of resource centers could be the bonus resource.

Until that is, caravans are implemented.

The Trader being a possible Epic Building, one for for Settlements and for Resource Centers (the one and only building (at this time(because of garrisoned armies to be implemented further in the future) ) can be built in the one and only building space. Placing the building on both Resource Centers and Settlements would allow a "road" to be built.

The current game scope is insufficient for tangible meta game. Whereas providing a substantial reward for winning the season (gold, silver and bronze versions of the unique settlement banner), or unlocking an epic building card, is what can be done.

The current rewards are not enough in my opinion.

So now you just took those mistakenly added dice games, as well as the backpack upgrades, away.

Having taken on the hard quest because we had enough dice games, and now we don't, we're a little bit annoyed about that.

That sounds pretty odd bug. Would be interesting to hear what was happening there in the background to have such thing to occur.

Quick update on what happened: There was a bug that gave some players a large number of rare Minigames and inventory limit increases at the Season change. We have reverted this and sent all players (not only those affected) an uncommon Minigame bundle instead.