News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: Did you play CATAN the boardgame before playing CATAN – World Explorers?

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 195 Community Manager, Global
edited June 8 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

We know all of you are experts in playing CATAN – World Explorers. Though, we are wondering how much experience you have with the original boardgame CATAN? 

Are you a long time fan, or did you just start playing it recently after discovering our game? Let us know in the comments.

Yours

The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Poll: Did you play CATAN the boardgame before playing CATAN – World Explorers? 50 votes

Yes, but less than 5 times
14%
NarumiCharmqGromtrakDavejjjjjMrMXBiblioRdm 7 votes
Yes, I’ve played CATAN many times
60%
ZelebratorGrogyanForgottenSonHtoZdesCarneHarbinger2DidchElderKoreanKamikazeDan1ColoniusFreezerbearNdorfynGuardianTahalnyouSharronCachedAstonMartinDKHuXEagle1Baggs 30 votes
No, I played CATAN for the first time after playing CATAN – World Explorers
4%
Suzyau66Ratox 2 votes
No, I’ve never played CATAN
22%
AjanHukkaThorsGateAshokaMaurya1KiwiMarinaM42MystiqueKnotWindAkiraSonodaAldredaMirdBlauBrausmith 11 votes

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭

I had actually never heard of Catan before your first announcement of the game in late 2019. I’m mostly interested of CWE because its location-based-game nature, not so much because of Catan.

But then I’ve tried to learn the rules of the original board game. Maybe I’m prepared to actually play it some day. 🙂 (Maybe that happens before I’m able to play CWE as it seems to get forever before it’s released. 🙈)

I assume you ask this because you want to know something about the sources of the people who are involved with CWE. 🤔

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Played the board game many times.

Got the Cities and Knights expansion too

So am quite disappointed with what CWE offers in terms of strategy vs the board game

• ColoniusColonius Member Posts: 18 ✭✭

Hi @Danellie

I've also played many expansions (though not the later ones). I think CWE is quite a different beast from the boardgames though, as the way it is implemented now, it is essentially a farming game. Though I agree that you do sometimes get the same resource scarcity vibes - I need more brick! I need more grain! 😅

I can't wait for the Fishermen expansion of CWE so that I can finally get something when my die lands in that **** lake again! 😂

• NdorfynNdorfyn Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

Own the game plus 2 expansions and bits for 5-6 players.

Played my first game way back in 2002-03 sometime with a german language copy and that spurred a long love of euro boardgames.

• WindWind Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasnt played catan board game but do play other classics board games as well as card games

I am more from other location AR games tho like ingress etc

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

Seasoned catan board game player, its the whole reason I checked out CWE. Looking forward to seeing how things develop. Also hoping to see if other catan elements come in like metropolis.

• M42M42 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

No, I've never played Catan. I'm not really a board game player, I prefer to get out and about.

• NavigatorNavigator Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

I have played Catan many times, loved the strategy of the game and was why I started playing this version. Would love to see roads introduced as another strategic tool just like the board game.

• NavigatorNavigator Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

Also where is the White team, or don't we have enough players 😁.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited May 22

Just love how Nerd Ninjas have adapted the board game to the augmented reality arena. Simply fabulous adaption.

@Grogyan I think Catan the board game is fairly light weight on 'strategy'.

Easy play for a group of friends around a table for 30-45mins Nothing like ingress.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by this thread I actually started to play some Settler of Catan online games. 🙂 Lost many at first but recently managed even a 3 game win streak. 😇

It was some learning first but after that the game and its rules and strategies have started to seem rather simple. Only the initial placement is really a difficult phase to master I guess.

Meanwhile CWE could actually be much harder to master as it probably includes teamwork and coordination of nuilding things to get your team do the best it can.

Hope the game is released soon to be able to test that in practice. Been waiting for almost 11 months now. 😂

@ZinkyZonk I think that you might want to play the board game again.

Above is an example of the board game using CWE rules in late game.

If played like this, CWE isn't a strategy game just farming.

CWE is loosely based on the Cities and Knights expansion, like a third of it.

• AshokaMaurya1AshokaMaurya1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

@Grogyan Is the robber broken here too? 😉

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

@Grogyan I have played the game of Catan for 20 years thousands of hours logged. I don't see it as a complicated strategy game at all never have. Like so many of the great euro games there are 3 or 4 strategy paths to get to victory and the rest is up to luck. It's a small closed system of play easily learned, small strategy, for 3 to 6 players. Really enjoyable stuff.

CWE exists in a completely different medium to the boardgame. Multitiude players - not just 3 -6, different levels of engagement - people have lives, variety of poi densities - the board game only has 20 odd hexes! , season is 3 weeks not 45 minutes.

Turn taking is not going to be a mechanic that is going to translate across.

I'm blown away how much Catan board game elements they have included in CWE considering the gargantuan task of applying a well defined game to a wibbly wobbly really big world.

@ZinkyZonk I haven't played the board game as much as you have.

But still concerned about your strategy views on the board game vs CWE.

From my experience, 1/2 of base game isn't even ported to CWE

2/3 of Cities and Knights are completely missing.

There are a lot I like of CWE, but a lot I dislike about it too

• BrausmithBrausmith Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I recently received Catan as a gift, but am yet to play it.

I feel as though I am learning a little about the board game by playing this game.