CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

Game Feedback

Share your comments and suggestions to improve the game

Ask me questions about Catanian Quests

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 106 Game Developer
edited May 19 in Game Feedback

It's very exciting to see the Catanian quest update in your hands. The overall goals for the tuning pass were to provide more interesting activities for beginner or veteran players, even out the level of required effort and make the rewards more consistent and easier to communicate.

There's a developer spotlight coming soon that will discuss some of these changes, but I wanted to invite questions you may have for new quests or rewards after having a day with them. I can't promise I'll have a good answer, but I'll give it a shot.

Post edited by CATANFiona on
Tagged:

Comments

• CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 106 Game Developer
    edited May 19

Q: What happened to Catanian Quest Rewards?

A: TLDR - Reward rarity is tied directly to Quest Tier, which is tied to friendship level.

Not as TLDR -

If you see a "Play Minigames 1" quest, that will provide you a random Common building card that you've researched. Access to the tier 2 quests is granted after reaching Good Friends with a Catanian, and tier 3 after reaching Best Friends.

There were a couple major challenges with how quest rewards meshed with our card research system but it can ultimately be described as a new player and an old player perform the same quest. One received a mini-game, the other received a rare production building. The values are too disparate, and it's overly hard to explain the logic of what a quest will provide to any player without a chart. There were also plenty of instances of quests that had a huge gulf between level of effort vs reward value.

Hopefully the idea of consistency and simplicity for the mechanic wins out over the ease of farming a few Catanians for some highly valuable prizes.

Post edited by CATANEir on
  • WindWind Member Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19

So far loving these changes!

3300VP in a rural city, thatll give me challenges lol. Usually i hit that after 3 days in my hometown.

Tell me are the common minigames got pulled out from the RC circulation?

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭

The new mix is interesting.

But I fail to see how the future releases of Epic and Legendary quests, will fit into this style of questing.

More detail on this is appreciated?

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

@CATANEir You have noted the bell tower in the VP buildings while it is already noted in the production buildings.

In addition, you forgot the community center and the archives in the VP buildings. 

🙊

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭

@CATANEir I am not a fan of forcing players to use Totems.

Especially after I raised the massive issues when they were initially announced, and then seeing CWE turn to a game of who can spo of the most.

The change to increase the cost of Totems mitigated this negative gameplay.

I feel this is a horrible decision to put it as a requirement for quests, especially at a time when the balance of Totems was just about OK.

Players might be saving their Totem Tokens for something necessary.

Why?

@Tahalnyou - Thank you - a side effect of a late-night post. Post has been corrected.

@Wind Off topic but also a part of the Dev Spotlight. Yes, Common minigame cards have been removed from the Resource Center loot table.

@AjanHukka The current Market building limit and max card expenditure per settlement/building was taken into account, and they do require less than the Victory or Production counterparts.

@Grogyan All things are in flux, and in this period as many have noted we're trying out different things and either adding or discarding tools in our toolset. As you've noted from your pic of Shelby, the higher the rarity, the more esoteric a Catanian's request may be. Our current roster of Catanians, from Common through Legendary follow that pattern.

Regarding Totem-based quests. By and large, the community of players has acclimated to the change in totem pricing, and we've worked hard to assist players with that by providing means to gain tokens through game play rather in addition to purchasing. These quests are very limited in availability - currently Shelby (unc) for Resource Centers, and Saga (epic) for Settlements - and are limited in objective requirement to fit within a reasonable free daily earning. We believe that offering the adds variety to the game and an interesting choice to the player. Quests are intended to supplement activities a player is already doing or wants to do, opposed to forcing a player to veer into new territory to progress, and this isn't really different than that. A valid choice is to leave Shelby or Saga friendless and alone and we're definitely monitoring for how the new quests are engaged with, along with always trying to cook up new quest based tasks that can be interesting to players.

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Will take a bit to adjust but I can appreciate the reasons and need for the changes. I figure like the old system there will be some quests that just get ignored by a player if they don't like them and they just pick and choose as before. Already sifting through the ones I will find useful as the season progresses.

I do wonder about the new quest requiring the placement of personal resource garden tiles, it just feels out of place in terms of the comment above of "Quests are intended to supplement activities a player is already doing or wants to do, opposed to forcing a player to veer into new territory to progress". As these cost EP which take time to acquire and gold to remove/place again plus limits on placement I just can't see this as something players are already doing on a daily/weekly bassis. It feels more like an occasional task based on EP supply and need and opportunity to place the tiles. I know for me personally I have already placed the tiles I need and this is one task I will always ignore. Will be interesting to see how others find this quest.

The mention of legendary catanians, does this mean we should expect to see these in-game now? Will be interested to see what their quests are like.

Hey...heard about the one asks to do place 5 garden tiles

Can this gets changed

Easily the one gets ignored for now

• NdorfynNdorfyn Member Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

I too question the logic of quests to place personal resources tiles. completing the 3rd heart require finishing 64 quests (without trading). With placing 5 tiles per quest this requires 4800 EP to finish. At my current rate of accumulation it will take me another 12 (200+ seasons) to get there. It will be another 50 years to get the EP for tiles for the next friendship level. The other option is to spend money buying the card to repeatedly pull up all the personal tiles and replace them over and over. Is the intention to have us spend more money? Quests to place tiles feels like a very poor decision.

I won't be doing those quests this season, I'm expecting to move house soon and I want to place the tiles at my new place.

Unrelated question: will there be a way to complete the 5th heart for each catanian.

Good feedback on the place tiles quest. Even aside from the scale of the math, it doesn't really fit intended spirit of Catanian requests. Making you relentlessly scour parks in a zigzag pattern though? That's very much something Solveig the Surly would do.(jk - kinda)

If you fix Solveig to what Erland lv1 quest used to be thatll be good

• MrMxHBMrMxHB Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

Which one's are the "high demand" cards?

@MrMX check the Spring harvest festival message in game

@CATANEir if Solveig wants me zigzag around a park like a fly on a window I'm fine with that.

• MrMxHBMrMxHB Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

@Ndorfyn thanks. I knew that I had read it somewhere but couldn't find it.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21

I’m sure they know it’s a nerf.

But it makes sense. Having baseline lower makes it possible to create meaningful special boosts during different seasons and events.

Probably a good move from long-time perspective. Were you thinking about it from this kind of perspective @CATANEir when you created these?

• KamikazeDan1KamikazeDan1 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭

I've got to say I miss the mini game rewards from quests. While lots of mini games can bog things down, I use them to bolster my resources as required, eg when trying to hit the daily quest amount. I'm not getting enough higher level mini games to compensate, as i don't play as actively as I did before the totem token nerf. While i have been on over 140 mini games for the last week in the last few seasons, i have also played them a lot to keep everythign ticking over. Some rebalancing of rewards was required, but to go from 5 cards to 1 is a major downgrade.

I *dont* miss the "find X resource" type quests, as i play in a limited area, and i dont uncover enough in a season to do more than one or two of these, and usually they didn't show up at the right time to do them, so those friends (who seem to show up a lot!) are mostly pretty low level. And until we got our personal garden the harvest garden tiles was the lowest of all, as the biggest local park in my area doesn't get park tiles in Catan, but Pogo recognises its park status.

I do prefer the new general quest types, however, I am finding that "play 10 building cards", well i played 14 of them, but only 9 counted. Same happened when i had craft X building cards. half of them didn't count. becuase I'm remote in a settlement, i can't play omne and come out to check (could we please see our quests inside settlements, so we can play our rewards?!)

• ColoniusColonius Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

@CATANEir There's a bug in the "Supporting Victory" quest - when I played Community Center cards, the counter (for number of VP building cards played) did not advance. It was OK when I played other VP building cards like Weaver or Town Plaza - those were counted as VP buildings cards played.

I have yet to encounter a "Crafting Victory" quest, so I can't tell if there's a similar bug there.

• ShrubstaShrubsta Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

I have found the new style quests to be annoying. Making a player build (and to a lesser extent, place) certain types of development cards doesn’t work for me at all. Why would I want to build a huge number of grain markets? To earn very low rewards too! There is no real incentive - instead I am probably going to sit this season out.

also, the new “great friend” quest - 280k of lumber. That would take me weeks and make it almost impossible to complete any other quests at the same time. I could accept 28k, but 280k is beyond ridiculous.

I have enjoyed the game to date and accept that changes are required, but these changes interrupt the flow of the game.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

@Shrubsta , aren’t friendship quests separate so they don’t take a place of a normal quest. I always thought so. 🤨

The friendship tasks are seperate & only 5 of 31 ever demand playing markets!

That quest is definately on the Ignore list...!

Very curious to know whats the next 4 Catanians will be...suppose you already mentioned Saga who loves to make you use Totems to visit settlements....

Really think play harvest dicr 10 times gonna be the most annoying for me due to not having 4th slot...perhaps offer that slot again at a higher level. Like lv40

edited May 25

Just remembered something...

Would be good to create new graphics to have a building card front with a ? In tbeir rarity colour.

Thatll clear confusion as the card rewards were always RNG,

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28

@CATANEir can you tell me if friendship quests roll over into the next season?

I have 70k Lumber to collect, and along with the (so far) 50k Grain for Gilda, it's going to be a struggle. Lumber is our rare resource, and the only suitable building is the Town Plaza (with extra VP), and Wool is our other fairly rare resource, unfortunately.

Ha ha, now 100 buildings using wool too!