News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Developer Spotlight: Hay Fever Season!

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 56 Game Developer

Hay Fever Season & Spring Harvest Festival Season Quest

Greetings Explorers!

We listened and learned from the experiences gained during our fun little escapade with Fenni during Shearing Season. You asked for more, and very much enjoyed VP objectives. That is why we’re rolling out a new five-part quest line along with some building adjustments that we hope will provide some new strategic decisions for new and experienced players alike.

The event is intended to be a multi-day affair that is accessible to all players that can offer some  research direction and exposure to new buildings for beginning players, and strategic play & craft choices for experienced players. 

Please keep us updated on if you experience any pain or happy points with either the event quest line or seasonal building adjustments.

Catanians, Friendship, and Quests

Friendship Quests - Catanians have met and decided upon new challenges that would prove an Explorer worthy of reaching the next level of friendship. The new challenges will be harder and more interesting than collecting some brick and lumber. Players with an existing Friendship Quest in their journal will not lose it or have it replaced. 

Catanian Quests & Objectives - Our game has come a long way since the time this set of quests was put in place. Quests have been reviewed for level of effort required, general player reception, and how the objective plays throughout the life of the entire season. 

Discover X, Trade X, Marketing X, Walk X quests are largely retired for now. The Walk objective is mainly used in a secondary capacity. Daily Quests are not included in this pass, and may still include those objectives at this time. 

Catanians are more interested in having Explorers perform deeds around things they care about, and more than 50 new Catanian quests have been added into the game this season. 

Quest Tiers - As you know, advancing in friendship impacts the quests a Catanian offers you. This was made more consistent - if you previously would receive a quest to Collect X, you now receive a better version opposed to something completely different at times. The next tiers appear at “Good Friends” and “Best Friends”.

Quest Rewards - Reward rarity is now tied to the Quest Tier, which is based on your Friendship Level. Tier I quest will return a Common building card, Tier II an Uncommon building card, Tier III a rare building card. This level of effort pairs well with the new Explorer’s personal card unlock progression, and provides a reason for experienced players to build friendships if they haven’t already.

Trading - Catanian trade has been demystified a bit. If you see a Common or Uncommon Catanian in the world, you will know that they start at 5:1 trade offers. Rare and Epic Catanians start at 4:1, and Legendary Catanians at 3:1. After advancing your relationship to Friends, a new resource becomes available at a better rate. When you reach Great Friends, they unlock the final resource offering and the Trade Negotiation table.

Friendship Progression - The amount of quests to qualify for a new friendship level is unchanged.

(Note: There is more on tiers, objectives, and rewards in the Quest AMA thread linked at the bottom of the post.)

Resource Center Rewards

Common mini-games are no longer awarded from Resource Centers. Overall, players will receive less mini-games, but of higher quality. This, coupled with a chance at a higher direct token reward, intends to better balance the means to accomplish all those new challenging quests without creating a mountain of work for the explorer in managing inventory (although some do enjoy that).

Previously when a player would visit a Resource Center, they would earn:

• Some resource tokens, or 
  • A Dice Toss Mini-game card (likely Common)

Now when a player visits an RC, they will earn:

• Some resource tokens, or
  • A greater amount of tokens, or
  • A Dice Toss Mini-game card (Uncommon or higher)

Playing a Plentiful Harvest Boost will continue to increase both the amount of rewards and likelihood of receiving a higher rarity mini-game. 

Regarding Common Mini-games

We have received consistent feedback over the seasons that Common Mini-games can easily create a burden on players. Either the player has a large amount to play generating a lot of time navigating game screens (start/end game) rather than play activities (throw dice). Or they decide to salvage at a potential loss. Common dice mini-games are still part of the rewards returned by other means such as buildings - the intent is not to remove them outright - but rather reward mini-games a little more judiciously.

In Conclusion

We believe that all these changes together lead to a more balanced and varied game experience - and one that is ultimately more fun. As we continue to work hard on fixing the bugs and polishing the game further, it's always great to explore areas which tighten the whole experience and synergy between different game activities. As always we are looking to hear your feedback so we can make CATAN – World Explorers the best game it can be.

If you have any Quest-specific questions, there’s already a thread started here

Yours

CATANeir and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @CATANEir

3300VP is giving me a nice challenge in a rural city of Cairns - 1400+ km away from home so the building farming would be limited for me... But hey loce challenges!

• CarneCarne Member Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Thanks for explaining the dice game drop chance change @CATANEir I see there being less inventory management which is handy, I already noticed the increased resource tokens from the resource centres which is nice.

While I liked being able to fill up on Mini Games then playing them at home when I had the time I will see how this changes my play style this season. Less inventory managing while out playing and more in hand resources as well while out and about might make for a more fluid gameplay experience.

It was jarring mid play session to suddenly be full of mini games and either have to purge the commons or sit still and grind out all the low level ones.

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Agreed, @Carne. It was a real drag.

I was increasing my dice games capacity, but now I'm increasing my resources capacity. It makes for quite different gameplay, hopefully less of a slog.

edited May 20

Just to note, currently the plentiful harvest now only increases the chance of a higher rarity rather than previously always increasing the rarity as it used to.

That combined with the reduced number of mini games awarded is a double nerf of the boost card.

Still a powerful card for the time reduction but reduced in value certainly this season compared to previous.

@CATANEir was there any plans to change how the mayoral system works this season as well?

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20

Well, that’s some nice reasoning. But what are you actually aiming with these changes? @CATANEir

Are you trying to find some state or balance which you will be staying at for longer time for now and after release?

or

Are you trying to find ideas what kind of season-to-season variation you could implement?

I would suggest that these things could be changed seasonally and there is no need to find any one perfect state that will last for years. Mini games output and rarities, resource center output, quests. Those are all things that you could change periodically, no need for some absolute permanent truth.

Which means that you could just release the game and continue to do the tweaks and variations even after that. 🙂😇 (After some bad bugs are fixed of course. 😬).

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Conclusion... Ultimately a lot less fun ☹️

The “greater amount” of resources result from resources centres is very very nice, it does feel like it makes up for the removal of the common mini games. 

I am filling up in the local resources faster now though so instead of stopping to play mini games I stop to purge full resources of the local resources (through building or trading), this means I will need to plan for getting the more rare resources in my area to balance out the resource generation. 

Overall not a devastating change and I am probably getting pretty much equivalent resources in the time played. Just trading and hunting rare resources more and playing mini games less.