News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

5 New Features that Change the Way You Play and Score

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 195 Community Manager, Global
edited June 4 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

Our team has been hard at work to deliver five exciting new features that will be released in the lead up to Season 17. These features will give you a new way of acquiring resources (that benefits especially regional players) and take advantage of your friends list. 

A quick overview of the new features can be found below:

1) Niantic Social Invites

(To be activated before the Season change)

CATAN isn’t the only real-world game from Niantic. We recently started showing all your Friends from Niantic games (like Pokémon GO, Ingress and HPWU) in your Friends List. Now we are releasing the first feature that interacts with this functionality. You will be able to invite your friends from those games to join your efforts in CATAN – World Explorers. This is our way of bringing the community of all Niantic players together. Invite your friends from other games to build up Settlements and to explore the world with you. Meet old and new friends, even if they might be catching creatures, casting spells, or collecting mysterious energy on their way to the next Settlement.

2) Resource Bundles

(To be activated with the Season change)

Resource Bundles are little packs of resources that friendly Catanians have already harvested for you. They can be found by exploring the world and will replace Shrubs. Just tap on them to collect them. There will be 6 different types of Resource Bundles – one for each resource and one for collecting Research Points. We believe Resource Bundles will give players more reasons to actively play while walking from Settlement to Settlement, or when playing in rural areas with a lower density of locations to visit. Collected Resource Bundles normally give Resource Tokens, but you have a small chance to also find Minigame Cards and Building Cards.

3) Trading

(Already Active)

Some of you have been asking for this feature for a long time! And we have been listening. Finally you will be able to trade with your team members and rivals, just like you remember from the classic CATAN board game. Trading can be done directly from your friends list. You can trade once per day with each of your friends. To do this you will have to collect Trade Boxes – one of each resource type can be found by harvesting Resource Centers. Once collected you can send a Trade Box to a friend. If your friend sends you a Trade Box in return, then you can both open those boxes to claim the reward inside. To make sure that your friends send you Trade Boxes of the right resource type, you can set your resource preference that they will be able to see when checking your profile in the friends list. You can do this in the lower left side of the Friends screen.

4) Leaderboards & Updated Mayor System

(Already active)

Friendly competition is key to CATAN – World Explorers. This is why we want to give you a new way to track the progress of your rivals throughout the season. A new leaderboard will be available for each Community Settlement. There you can see who contributed the most resources to a Settlement during a given calendar week. In addition, we have reworked and fixed the Mayor System: If an Explorer contributes the most resources to a Settlement during a given calendar week, they become the Mayor of the Settlement for the next week. The previous two Mayors stay on the City Council. After serving their two-week term, players are removed from the City Council and are eligible to become Mayor again.

5) Personal Settlement from Anywhere

(To be activated with the Season change)

Starting with the next Season you can access your Personal Settlement from anywhere. If you open the region map there is an icon on the left side that will pan the map to your Personal Settlement. Clicking that pin will allow you to enter the Personal Settlement from anywhere.

We are excited for you to explore those new features and we are looking forward to your feedback and bug reports. Let us know how you like these changes to CATAN – World Explorers!

Yours

The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Tagged:

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@CATANdominik thanks for the update.

Both @Wind and I were trying to figure out why gifting wasn't working and friends we did have weren't showing up on the friends list.

Can you please elaborate on the decision to make Shrubs the mechanism for acquiring Gifts?

This feature seems to have taken a very long time to implement.

Can you also please elaborate why so many other critical and outstanding issues are still not fixed?

Tier 4 settlements with Epic and Legendary buildings and quests are not implemented either, yet there had been extremely strong hints in the last several updates that these would be here now. Especially with Season long events which should be the mechanism for unlocking Epic and Legendary buildings.

What is the plan for these? Coming in the next season?

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 195 Community Manager, Global
    edited June 4

@Grogyan Trade Boxes are found by harvesting Resource Centers (not Shrubs). Resource Centers are still meant to be the primary place to get everything related to resources.

Any specific issue you refer to? Which issues do you feel are critical and need more attention?

I can't remember when I hinted at higher level buildings coming. I don't expect them to be added any time soon.

• Suzyau66Suzyau66 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

These changes sound exciting looking forward to next season.

Will the scout card still work the same for the resource bundle as it did for shrubs?

• CarneCarne Member Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Thanks @CATANdominik and all the Catan team, exciting times ahead!

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 195 Community Manager, Global

@Suzyau66 It should work the same. Let me know if it doesn't. 😊

• M42M42 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Great work @CATANdominik and team, the new features sound awesome, though I'm an Ingress player and have never played and have no intention of playing pokemongo or harry potter, so I don't have another friends list to recruit from, my only rival in the area has, so could be interesting times ahead.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4

So, are the leaderboards only settlementwise or are they also visible for regional and global levels? @CATANdominik

Post edited by AjanHukka on
  • WindWind Member Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CATANdominik nice features!

Re Astrid & Roger.... they do shrubs atm, willthey be tweaked to refledt upcoming feature changes ?

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

ah so the little new icons found swiping resources are trade boxes? I couldnt figure out what it is and where it went since it didnt add to anything, gold, ep cards etc.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Wooooooowwwwww!!!!! Loving the new features!!!

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

Love the features.

With trading I would prefer for locations not to be displayed. Just not something that is needed and can impede on peoples privacy.

1.48.3 fixes the friend list issue

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. How many trades to best friends?

@CATANdominik just a few queries, do the trade boxes reset at the end of season?

And also when using both boosts on a resource point, the point does not award any trade boxes. Is this intended? My trade inventory was not full and I did not get any when using several different boosted resource points.

The chances of getting one on a newly discovered resource point does appear to be higher which is great.

Also...@CATANdominik Does the boxes intended to count towards quests,or not? Currently its not from what i heard but want to check

• AshokaMaurya1AshokaMaurya1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

@CATANdominik Is the personal settlement accessing from anywhere only limited to the next season, or is it a permanent feature??

Also will the gold settlement get the same feature as the personal settlement?

@CATANdominik

Epic and Legendary quests

Tier 4 settlements

That symbol indicates a Metropolis in the board game Cities and Knights expansion

The fact that this icon is here, indicates that Tier 4 Settlements are imminent, along with Epic and Legendary buildings

edited June 5

I think they are going to add them at some point but it’s not yet there on their near future roadmap. The original board game only has two levels of settlement and this current has 3 so it’s already one more level.

Those are probably just teasers for upcoming content.

• freesofiafreesofia Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

All this is very nice - but as the creator of the Telegram channel CATAN: World Explorers - International (https://t.me/CATAN_WE_International) I want to ask a simple question to the game developers!

When will you release the game for everyone?

It will be 2 years, and still nothing ?!

😟

@freesofia

Gifting is QoL feature, and isn't totally necessary for the game to be released.

We recently got a month ago, customization of our avatar. Another QoL

There is a lot of lag in the game that makes it not nice to play.

No road building, which limits the strategic factor.

Very limited settlements around

So with these things in place, and game breaking bugs being pretty minimal.

There is no reason why worldwide release cannot happen before the end of the Summer, July/August

Looking at bugs, there’s probably two that are critical. First building VP bug and season achievements not progressing.

But if those are fixed I see no reason why not to release it.

I’d be happy to see Treasure maps, private games, roads, higher level settlements and cards then later as new additions.

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭
    edited June 6

While I like the idea of trading etc, for the life of me I can't work out what goes on.

If I offer trade, I can't really see what the status is, or work out if or when I'll get anything in return.

More importantly, if a trade has been offered to me, I can't see what that player's preferred resource is. That seems like a major flaw. Am I missing something?

How many trades to fill a heart?

What happens if I offer a trade and the recipient has no boxes to return?

Why are there no notifications? Do we have to continually check this profile/friends list to find out if we have trades? A notification seems appropriate.

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

For the exchange function with the players, I would like a new choice to be added to the preferences. It could have the question mark symbol to signify that one wants to have a surprise. With any resource.

Besides, if we could show the 2 choices we prefer, it would be nicer than just one. It would be helpful if a friend wants some ore and I don't have one locally. What to send him instead and who can make him happy?

@Mykan

I know some players don't like to send gifts to strangers or even other players in their local area because of the resource center name and the city name.

Me, I like to receive these gifts with the name of the country. This makes it possible to locate a player globally, and then it makes my memory work.

I recently received several from Australia, but I cannot say which major city these players are playing in. I do not see the point of doing a precise research.

Only if I find the Poi remarkable.

But I can understand these concerns especially when you find players from other Niantic games where they are your opponents.

Know that you can delete the gifts that you collect near you, to try to get some from another neighborhood, another village, another city ...

Be inventive. There is always a way to make your opponents believe that you live in a very large area.

And luckily, you don't have too many curious opponents.

@Mykan

And frankly, whether you live in Tahiti, San Francisco, Tokyo or a rural area ...

Especially in a rural or suburban area, I will worry more about the function of the mayor than that of the trades.

The settlements of which you are mayor, say more locally about your journeys.

@TheCombobulator

It is a little confusing and I agree with the notifications. I am regularly checking to see if someone has sent a trade.

There is an arrow to indicate you sent a trade but if they don't accept it and/or send something back it doesn't count as a trade. I have a couple people like this.

I noticed this morning when accepting someones trade and sending back there is a preferred option mentioned but you do need to look for it, at the top from memory.

How many trades to fill a heart?

• 1 to get to acquaintance
    • 6 more to get to next level
    • unknown for future levels

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

@Mykan I'm not sure about the numbers. I have one friend with 2 trades completed, and 4 to reach the next level.

I have another with 3 trades completed and one to go to the next level.

I'm also a bit confused as to the sequence. I sometimes get an offer, accept it, then the status shows that I've sent a return, usually the chosen resource. Later I come back, and I'm offered the chance to return a box for the trade. This might be the cause of the difference in the above level requirements.

If someone doesn't accept a trade is a box used up with no benefit? Can it be returned?

Also, you get to set your online status. Even when I'm offline my friends can see me as online if set, and vice versa.

It's all very confusing.

Yeah I noticed I only have 1 trade to go with someone for the second heart. The numbers are right as I have seen them a few times but I think the trades count in both directions or something. It is certainly counting down quicker than I thought but as mentioned it is a little confusing.