News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Fabled Harvest Changes and Developer Spotlight

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 91 Game Developer
edited July 14 in News & Announcements

Thanks for all of your feedback about the Fabled Harvest feature, we were really excited to release it. We understand many feel that the price to enter a Fabled Harvest is too expensive (100 coins), especially combined with network issues and the fact that it is a new type of activity that players aren’t yet familiar with (note: there’s an article on how to participate in Fabled Harvest here). To tackle this feedback we are doing the following things. 

Immediate changes:

• Difficulty of Fabled Harvests reduced by 50% 
  • Increased spawn rate of Rank 1 Fabled Harvest
  • Decreased spawn rate of Rank 3 Fabled Harvest
  • Rank 1 map - replaced central water hazard with desert or resources
  • Rank 2 maps - reduced amount of water hazards

Upcoming changes:

In the near future, we are implementing a ticketing system where you can purchase Fabled Harvest tickets from the store as well as earn a Free Ticket every day from the Daily Quest. We are also focused on addressing any device issues that are interrupting players trying to participate in a Fabled Harvest.

Game-play Technical Overview:

In the Fabled Harvest dice game, Explorers work together to collect all the required resources within a 45 second mini-game event. Currently, 25 resource tokens are collected for landing on a tile. Similar to Dice Toss Mini-games, that amount can be increased by landing the dice on multiple tiles in addition to the 2x dice face. When meeting the goal, each participant will receive a number of rewards including a Fabled Harvest building card. If players are unable to reach the goal, there are a descending set of rewards based upon performance. Players can try again at that location until they win the Fabled Harvest building card, or the event timer expires.

Each participant plays on a map that has a different resource priority. One player may be presented with Lumber, Brick, and Ore in easy reach, while another player may have a different mix. Players are encouraged to pan from side to side to claim those harder to reach resources, or more easily avoid hazards, and use teamwork to collect resources in the most efficient way.

Because this is a timed event, instead of a dice-limited mini-game, players can throw dice in a much more rapid fashion which will take some getting used to.

The difficulty ranks offer a different set of maps that become more challenging, along with the resource requirements needed to win a Fabled Harvest building. 

Rank 1 is the only difficulty level intended to be farmable solo.

EirNote: Please don't make me regret showing a little behind the scenes of map development. Outside of Water and Desert, the coloration does not coincide with a specific resource. Light green in the pics below does not mean ‘wool’ but rather a resource priority group (main resource, secondary, etc).

Rank 1 Fabled Harvest

• Requirement: 150 of each resource
  • Suggested players: 1-3
  • Reward: Fabled Carousel

There is one map option available to this rank.

Rank 2 Fabled Harvest

• Requirement: 600 of each resource
  • Suggested players: 4-6
  • Reward: Fabled Windmill

There are two map options available to this rank.

Rank 3 Fabled Harvest

• Requirement: 1000 of each resource
  • Suggested players: 7-10
  • Reward: Fabled Water Mill

There are three map options available to this rank.

Last but not least, Bug Fixing:

The team is actively working on issues regarding being dropped during the event, along with other issues related to general disconnects, crashes and data usage. We are rolling out fixes as soon as they are ready, so we thank you for your patience and also your passion in wanting CATAN–World Explorers to be an amazing experience.

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CATANEir any chance you tell us some insights behind the building cards?

• AshokaMaurya1AshokaMaurya1 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭

Thank you for the update. If this is how the Fabled harvest was introduced in the first place, I think it would have been very much positively received. Nevertheless, I think we have more answers now and the update is appreciated!!

Hope the team clears out all the main bugs and the product is made available globally soon.

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Brilliant. Thank you Devs for your tireless efforts, and obvious listening! Greatly appreciated. Can't wait to try the new system!!!

• NdorfynNdorfyn Member Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Devs, Thanks for listening to us.

A daily free pass was definitely need if you actually wanted people to make use of the fabled harvests. This is awesome

Making the maps a little easier, and showing them to us here so we can make plans before we play, also really good

I personally had no problems with the old difficulty level. we just needed time to get used to it before deciding it was too hard. This is supposed to be a challenge after all.

The 3-5* level should require big groups of people to finish. pokemon didn't match raid difficulty to the intended group sizes but Catan does not and should not match that, just because that's what people are used to

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still not entirely satisfied

@CATANEir why are these not a craftable unlock? What is the roadmap for Epic and Legendary buildings (Tier 4 and 5) as per adverts?

Here in Auckland New Zealand, there is simply not enough players left, or keen enough to get together for raids.

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

I feel that this addresses most of our concerns. Thank you very much.

I'm still very unhappy with the invisible walls in all dice games. Can these please ve removed as well?

• DiabolicalClayDiabolicalClay Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

Thanks for listening. These changes are welcome 🙂 One more thing though, I am rural with zero anything within walking or cycling distance and so by necessity my totem does a lot of the gameplay for me.

Can you please consider making it so that I can play the fabled harvests as well, by allowing a totem to play without needing a person at the physical location. As there are not very many Catan players in my area at all and trying to coordinate this has so far proved impossible.

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

Well, thank you for the freebie fabled harvest building cards in the rewards today. I got to try that one out. Silly me thought that each level would get you 6 resource cards, not just 6 tokens (0.06 of a card) per resource. I thought they would be truly wonderful, even without being able to add huge numbers of levels. So they are in reality only about as good as the monument, albeit with 10x the vp.

Now my excitement and eagerness to participate in the fabled harvesting is somewhat tempered, and that is what my thanks are for.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭

It already gives a massive VP so it’s quite logical to make it somewhat neutral in other aspects. 🤔

After thinking about this feature it has started to interest me really. I’m eagerly waiting to see if it is possible to gather 10+ player groups to do the harder ones, I think it seems plausible at least here. 🤔

• AshokaMaurya1AshokaMaurya1 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭

If they actually make the local scores a thing, then I don't think the FH will even matter. From where I see, people who will start the game (after launch, if it happens), would only concentrate on XP, gold, and RP more than the VP. Because by concentrating on the former 3, VP will anyway be credited to both local and global scoring. Unless there is something way important that needs the attention of VP, FH seems not that interesting.

XP, gold and RP are kind of individual grind currencies. Then we have resources and VP.

I think it may be some kind of analogy to Ingress MU game vs individual stats game.

Personally I think that I will become a VP player, let’s see. 🙈

• CarneCarne Member Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

VP is quite pointless and a side product of the other activities in game. Globally it is rigged by adjustments of the daily rewards so no point to it there. Locally there is little meaning to it, with a relocatable Personal Settlement with free access anywhere, you can relocate for a guaranteed local win in a region your team is strong in. It only has one value and that’s bragging rights on making every region red, go team wolves!

edited July 17

Yes, it’s pretty much like Ingress MU I guess. most of the players just ignore it there except perhaps Illuminator badge.

Colouring map could actually be the very deepest meaning of the game. I like how that kind of feature exists.

• LinkMatrixLinkMatrix Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

Lost 100 gold to this stupid, oversized button this morning. PLEASE make it smaller!!