News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Bricklayer's Season Quest overview (spoiler alert!!)

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 91 Game Developer
edited July 21 in News & Announcements

Disclaimer: This post is full of spoilers, proceed at your own risk. If you are spoiler adverse, go out and enjoy our latest Season’s quest going live today. 

Greetings Explorers!

For the curious ones out there, here's a little heads up on the season quest. Part of the challenge of the season quest is striking the proper balance of difficulty for the duration of the season. A few wrinkles have appeared as we've done some experimenting like 1) the season quest just sticks around forever until you complete it, 2) non-inbox delivery methods have not worked out great.

Here's where we're at for this month:

• Important: All incomplete Seasonal Quests should expire upon completion of Brick Season (in August).
  • Bricklayer's Season Quest difficulty is increased, nearly to where they were in Grain Season.
  • Bricklayer's Season Quest rewards have increased.

We're also trying out a new objective "[Craft/Play] cards that require Brick" so feedback on that will be great.

Cards that require Brick to craft are:

• Monument (c)
  • Bell Tower (c)
  • Crane (c)
  • Lumber Market (c)
  • Ore Market (c)
  • Community Center (u)
  • Library (u)
  • Staple House (u)
  • Tavern (u)
  • Treasury (u)
  • Archive (r)
  • Brick Kiln (r)
  • Lumber Mill (r)
  • Ore Foundry (r)
  • Wool Storage (r)

If you'd like a big surprise then look away now. Otherwise let's go into each quest.

Monumental Upgrades 1/4

"Why Monuments?" Monuments are guaranteed to be accessible to all players regardless of their research card roster, and ultimately we want this chain to be ramping up difficulty from rudimentary tasks to the more challenging. Playing mini-games is also a great objective for beginners, but it's taking a breather for a few weeks.

Brickcraft 2/4

Why craft building cards "that require Brick" and not just "Craft X, Y, or Z?"

The goal is to influence player agency, but not force it or disadvantage players due to their current card roster or seasonal scarcity. Instead of around 5 "High Demand" buildings that players were basically forced into playing a few seasons ago, roughly 2/3s of building options are available to choose from. We are always trying to experiment with new ways to use our quest system, and learn from the results.

Applied Brickwork 3/4

"But I just crafted and played these cards to finish the last quest!"

Not a question per se, but the main difference between Craft and Play objectives is that you can gain cards in other ways aside from Crafting from the backpack.

Certifications & Inspections 4/4

I am a big fan of the Harvest Dice objective, but am very aware that it must be wielded carefully because of the time-gating involved, and the fact that this last step could be close to season's end. Thematically, I love the idea that everyone has been working together over the last week or two (or in some of your cases, days holy moley) and now the engine is tuned and everyone can just participate and enjoy the returns while focusing back mainly on the seasonal scoring situation. I also don't dislike that it may encourage a player late in the season to travel out of their normal stomping grounds to lock in a few extra Harvest Dice activities.

And that’s that. We hope you enjoy Bricklaying Season, and this quest line. Please leave us some feedback on the difficulty, objectives, and even if this post was useful in helping you plan your season out a little more than in the past. Typically we let users uncover the chain on their own, but thought a little more info at the start of the season could be helpful.

Yours,

The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Theyre perfect

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited July 20

Looks very helpful.

Though can you elaborate on the reason for this @CATANEir It has piqued my interest.

• Important: All incomplete Seasonal Quests should expire upon completion of Brick Season (in August).

Post edited by PkmnTrainerJ on
  • BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

This looks excellent. Glad to see the difficulty increase, especially when there are such good rewards on offer!

At the outse, it will Certainly effect my immediate gameplay! (Monument filling has often been a late season play for me, when I have my Resource Centres pumped up), but that means my main VP earning (early season) wouldn't count towards the quests!

So I think I'll smash out the 75 early, so that my day to day play starts chipping away at the big VP targets!

Looking forward to it!!!

Simple...those 75 to your personal or drop 1 into a settlement for mayorship.... @Baggs

Yeh, did this earlier this evening.

Interestingly... this season I noticed a change to settlements! When I play a monument in a newly discovered settlement if changes colour on the map right? I'm a bear, so they turn blue. BUT I noticed that this season, if I discovered a settlement using my totem... it stayed white, even after I put a monument in!!! weird? Does that mean I won't become mayor of that settlement?

• CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 91 Game Developer

@PkmnTrainerJ The Season Quest is really meant to be just that. A set of activities that are more difficult than other quest offerings but with an alluring prize, and when the season ends if you made it - amazing! But if not, well, good luck with the new upcoming quest chain!

Currently our system is creating a bit of a snowball effect. If you don't complete the quest, it's still there to complete as you wish. Add in partial progress in the four previous seasons and you've got a pretty wild journal. It restricts our ability to offer (or entertain offering) exclusive rewards because ultimately the timeline to completion is endless. Everyone could get the exclusive reward given enough time. Hope that answers your question!

@Baggs I believe that is a cosmetic bug that should self-correct later, but will do some investigating.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

It does, and makes sense. Thank you. Thought you might let slip that it’s to “clear the board” before the global rollout in Season 20.

I’ll have to try better to trip you up. 😜

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Page 4 is really quite difficult to do

1000 VP is an extremely difficult thing to achieve for some @CATANEir

@Grogyan if you plan ahead its not hard.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

Finding I am getting better at Catan. Did the first two quests yesterday I'll be maybe done by the weekend. Expanded inventory and car passengering is helping out a lot and together with increased experience .... so finding 500VP over a few days fairly easy to get.

Poor Sydney players though.... they have got delta outbreak and Sydney is in lockdown - under those conditions I would be hard pressed to get 50 VP.

@CATANEir have you guys changed the settlement rules? .... it seems there are way more settlements in my little pond ...!!!not complaining!!! just curious ... wish I knew your magic sauce recipe for settlement placing...

Hi @CATANEir You were right, the change appears to have been cosmetic only - upon checking this morning - those 'white' settlements have now changed to blue. Thanks!

Isn't that kind of the point! Not everyone should be able to complete the hardest quest... It's meant to divide players.

Done. No screen shot though .... Too tired to take one ....

... might be nice feature to include a list of completed special season quests. ... Like pogo?

Nearly done... hard lockdown in Sydney has slowed progress significantly (would have taken 1 week if not hindered).

@CATANEir Feedback Time!

So I've just finished the season quest (last 200VP really slowed down since Sydney is in Hard Lockdown right now!).

What I liked:

- 'build cards that need brick' - this was cool

- 'starting with 75 monuments' - this really changed up my usual gameplay style (which is EXACTLY what I like about these quests.

What could be improved:

- miss match between task difficulty. E.g. if I'm making X number of buildings with brick, and I also need to score 250 VP, then really, the time limiting factor for this stage is the 250VP. Because it's almost impossible to earn that much VP without doing the other task... so every time there's a big VP earn task, I completely ignore the other task element, since I know it will inevitably get done during my VP earning. In my mind, it would be better if both tasks were totally unrelated, so you had to work on them both (e.g. earn VP and No. Of catanian trades with a Rare catanian, would be a good example).

- quest parts (only 4) - to be honest, the final 1000VP got really boring. Probably because I knew it was the last task, but i stopped caring about it, after I knew I'd get there. I feel like it would be more exciting if this last task had been split into 4 tasks of 250VP each, with a different other element each time, like 'trade 100 times', 'complete 20 quests', anything to give me an additional focus apart from VP ****. So I suggest you break the quests into smaller chunks, more like 10 instead of 4. (I have no problem if the rewards are also split, in line with this. I do the quests for something different to do, not just the rewards.

Other ideas:

-Similarly to the daily challenge... perhaps more serious players could opt in to a 'hard' version of the season quest, that's a little more demanding?

Possible elements for inclusion:

- collect 250/500 resource bundles

- trade 50 goods with each catanian group (common, uncommon, rare)

- hit the gold coin 'on the full 5/10 time

- land the Dice on the gold coin 5/10 times (like we used to).

- earn 300/600 gold coins

- have 5 catanians refuse to trade with you

- roll 10 robbers

Otherwise, just to say that I thoroughly look forward to these season quests each time round. Keep up the great work!

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@Baggs

Agree with you on a lot of things.

Usually the first line of the quest is finished long before you have completed all of the VPs.

But rolling the dice on the gold tile is sometimes very complicated, and 5 or 10 times seems too high to me. Not all players have the same dexterity. Some will never make it.

Even if that's the goal you suggest.

Failing in the middle of a questline is very frustrating.

I know PoGo players who do not start certain questlines in a limited time despite having a tempting reward at the end, simply because they know they are going to be blocked after 3 or 6 hours of specific play ...

It also takes a long time to gain 300 or 600 gp. 5 days minimum to reach 300 gp.

Trade with the Catanians, why not, but it can be a competition for resources with the action of placing VPs.

I trade with them as soon as possible, but there is not always the Catanian nearby who offers the resource I want.

On the other hand, I have never had a Catanian who refuses me a trade.

Have you had any?

I do not see on what grounds he can refuse, since it is he who proposes his exchange rate ...