News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Season Quest Overview for Fabled Watermill Season

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 97 Game Developer
edited September 17 in News & Announcements

Disclaimer: This post is full of spoilers, proceed at your own risk. If you are spoiler adverse, go out and enjoy our latest Season’s quest going live in Season 21.

Reminders:

• The Season Quest is only available for the duration of the season.
  • Completing a Fabled Harvest at 100% will continue to grant 2 Fabled building cards.
  • All Fabled Harvest buildings will continue to require 4 cards per level from 6.
  • The Fabled Watermill now provides an additional effect of +1 Random Development Card per building level (max of +5)

Last season's quest felt very good in a lot of ways. We're going to take those lessons and bring some items forward along with some highlights of our new Fabled Ticketing system, with free daily tickets. This season instead of finding 30 locations, we're just **** for 10 Settlements. Even with lock-down restrictions on-going in a number of areas we feel that this should be a reasonable challenge. Add that totem movement is still free, and we thing all Explorers should be able to knock this out pretty handily.

This is almost a direct redux of the quest from last season - however, the requirements are toned down a bit from 15/50 to 10/35. The freedom the quest offers is great, but we'd like a few more players to progress through it faster.

Fabled Harvest buildings return in stage 3 - did you bank your previous earnings? Even if not, they shouldn't be too challenging to get a hold of, especially since you discovered at least 10 settlements along the way.

And now - the beast! After a few iterations of this, a number of Explorers could probably drop 1k in their sleep, but even so this should still provide a few days of challenge this season!

Yours,

CATANeir and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Comments

• AshokaMaurya1AshokaMaurya1 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

That huge amount of rewards!!! Wow!

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

35 quests ... Much better than 50😅 but still quite challenging.

@Wind is good with questing ... take ages myself.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31

@CATANEir any news on reducing the cost for joining a Fabled Harvest via Totem?

Not so much of a concern for myself, but others who may be more, liberal, with their Totems have trouble.

On to part 2. The 75 gold for 3 fable tickets daily is very handy!!!

On to part 3....

On to part 4 .... Hmmm.. 50 harvest dice .... Stymied .... Got an all day appointment tomorrow only 5 settlements on 10 settlement s along the route.

Do be mad @CATANEir 😂 the quests are a good difficulty level ... Just felt a great need to sink my teeth into Catan today.

@CATANEir those if us who are still on 1.58.4 can only do the 1* FHs, that means by tomorrow I will be able to finish the first page, however, at the pace I need to be at to complete it in the season, means that I would have have to be onto page 3 by now.

Tomorrow is September 3rd 2021 which is a fortnight since 1.58.2, are we going to see the update?

We can't keep going like this with these bugs another week.

edited September 2

I agree with @Grogyan , not being able to invite friends to remote fable has been a sad thing. There are a number of players I would like to invite to fables local to me (lol I fall into Grogyan's 'liberal totem token user' category.)

Just experienced a level 1 fable being a surprise level 2 actually fable would have been nice to get an assist to get the fable done .... Only got 78% by myself .....

First?

Only had to buy 2 lots of tokens got impatient. Lol

• AshokaMaurya1AshokaMaurya1 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

So much RP and EP! We non beta players will definitely be at a disadvantage, if at all the game is released🥲

Why such an imbalance? Is this what a beta/soft launch supposed to be?? Giving so many in-game rewards to beta players and still saying that everything will be balanced is total opposite!

Most of my Catan the first few days was as a car passenger. Was driven to medical appointments during heavy traffic times and also got a lift to spend a hour in a high density area with greater range and scout on. I used a tonne of speedy Cultivation/plentiful Harvest combos

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited September 9

Feedback

So, this season saw the reduction of the quests' difficulty settings, and a doubling of the gold/rewards on offer! Wow. I assume this means that the devs are either testing their settings to find the 'perfect level', or that waayyyyy too many players didn't manage to get through the quests last season and they're trying to fix that. To that point, it may well be that the reason people haven't been getting through isn't the difficulty or the rewards - it could be 'bug fatigue' from trading/friends list/etc. or it could be lockdown related issues... Food for thought!

For what it's worth - I thought the difficulty last month was about right.

Thoughts on this season:

Quest 1 of 4 - Playing Fabled Buildings was the limiting quest item (the harder to complete one) - as you either needed to wait for free fabled cards, pay real gold, or trade for them (which is tricky with the current bugs). Next season - i'll certainly being 'pre-loading' at least 5 or so 'fabled quest' trades in anticipation for another one like this.

Quest 2 of 4 - Completing the quests was the limiting quest item and took me 2x 2hr sessions of focusing on quests to get through these. I've made another post on how to prep for quest smashing... but these quest challenges are FUN!!! Thoroughly enjoyed this Quest!

Quest 3 of 4 - This quest item was way too quick to complete. Knowing the quests in advance (which I like by the way), meant that I'd saved up the 8 Fabled Cards from Quests 1 & 2, and I had another 4 from Fabled Settlements & Trades, so this was instantly done. Similarly I had 30 minigames ready to go, so I completed Quest 3 in about 2 minutes. Whilst this was very Satisfying in the short term - I think on reflection, I'd actually prefer to earn the quest by doing something that takes a few days.

Quest 4 of 4 - the 1,000VP was harder than the Settlements - but not as hard as previous seasons. Being handed 8*20VP Fabled cards for Quest 3 of 4, meant that really I only had to earn 840VP... whilst there's a bit of grind to this - it's totally achievable through normal game play in a season - so i generally find that once I get to quest 4 (knowing there's nothing coming afterwards) I majorly slow down my gameplay... knowing that i'll achieve the quest line without any additional effort. [again, not a good thing! I want this game to incentivise me to go out constantly]

So once again, I thoroughly enjoyed the Multi Part Quest this season, but find myself with 12 days to go - with little to do. Ill have maxed out my local settlement shortly, am finishing off my personal settlement, and because there's currently to local area competition - i'll invariably turn my efforts to mass-trading with friendly Catanians... to increase my friendship levels. Which suggests to me that we could really do with either:

• Opt in longer multi part quests (similar to daily quests, easy/medium/hard) - Heck, i'd even do a harder quest line for the same rewards; or
    • a 'post multi quest' questline, that lets high end players compete for ranking or rewards or skins for how many quests they can complete by season's end.

Thanks again for a terrific season quest - I love them!

Am still finishing up 2 of 4.

The lack of a fix for Fabled Harvests, meant that it took 3 days to grind enough carousels to plop onto a settlement.

We're still in lockdown until at least Wednesday in Auckland, New Zealand

Which also means several hours lost everyday to chase the event.

Quest 3 of 4 is going to take several days to do as well.

Jees, I have around 2 dozen gifts to open with Fabled Harvests.

Just need it fixed with the update, that was supposed to arrive last week.