CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down

CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 452 Admin
edited September 17 in News & Announcements

Explorers,

After a year of exploring the world together, we are announcing today that CATAN – World Explorers will not be rolling out to more countries and instead we will be winding down the game over the coming months. The team thanks all of you, our dedicated players, for your feedback and your fun.

CATAN – World Explorers will sunset on November 18th, 2021, 7am UTC. This means that the game will not be available to play any more after this date and all development on it will be halted. Later today, we will be taking the game down from the App Store and removing real-money purchases from the Shop. We want to have some final fun in our last few seasons; we plan on increasing bonuses to make the most of the remaining weeks! 

The team originally set out to build a game that turned the world into a CATAN gameboard. We had a vision for trading, harvesting, and building up the world in seasonal play and resetting the board each month, just like you do for each new game you play at home. But trying to adapt such a well-designed board game to a global, location-based Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game was a tough challenge. We’re so proud of the game we made, however we got a little too complicated and a little too far from the original CATAN game. The work and knowledge that we learned working on this game is not lost and we’re already working hard on more games for the future!

To everyone in the CATAN – World Explorers community that joined us for this adventure, we’re so thankful for your dedication, support, and detailed feedback! We hope to see you again soon.

The CATAN – World Explorers team has learned a lot since we kicked off our soft launch beta in early July 2020. A lot can be attributed to this community of dedicated beta players, who rigorously reported every bug, provided key feedback, and always reminded us why we made this game in the first place: for a community of dedicated fans. We want to thank everyone who supported this game!

Here you can find some GIFs and Stickers that we had planned to release for the launch of this game. They are also available on social media apps like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – just type CatanWE in the search bar. We hope they will be something that you enjoy and share during the last two seasons. We are already thinking about how to spice up the final season for all of you.

Thank you for being the best community we could imagine!

Yours,

The CATAN – World Explorers Team

What happens to my in-app purchases?

You’ll still be able to spend your remaining Gold balance before the end of the game. We have some gameplay ideas that we are planning will make the next few months of gameplay really exciting! We’re also going to cut prices of items in the shop so that players have the full opportunity to enjoy your Gold balance in the next few months.

If you would like to use your currency in Pokémon GO, you can transfer your unused Gold balance to Pokémon GO. Please contact support before November 1st to request this balance transfer

Post edited by CATANGeorge on

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch that aucks, the gameplay was amazing however a question

these mechanics, would you reconsider reusing them for a different franchise?

buildings, rolls trading and resource are pretty common amongst other games not just Catan.

• Qu33nAnG3LQu33nAnG3L Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Commiserations to ALL the team and all behind the scenes. It was as a great concept will be sad to see it go.

wish you all the best for any future endeavours

• 9Mike56199Mike5619 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭

Pokemon was never my thing, might have to try something else. Ingress could be a possibility once Catan shuts. Thanks for giving it a go team and all the best with future ideas!

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭

@CATANFiona @CATANEir

@CATANdominik think you all need to refocus.

That means, fix the current couple of issues. Friends and Raids.

Then announce a short break, say a month, the whole team, take a break/holiday.

Us passionate players will still be playing, even if there is no season quest, just need a heads up doing so.

Come back to finalise the global launch.

Is this worth considering?

Sure you want more features, though more is less. Those new features can come out later, not important.

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

haha, love your style @Grogyan . Do you really think they'd announce to the world that they're shutting down the game... but then a day later make this announcement:

"Dear World... we were going to shut down the game, but a player on our forum convinced us that all we really needed was a month off... so we're going to do that instead, and then launch globally!"

You are officially Dreaming!

• NdorfynNdorfyn Member Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

SO sad to hear this news, I have been having a great time with the game.

" we got a little too complicated and a little too far from the original CATAN game." @CATANFiona ,@CATANnate I don't believe either of those are true. Catan has many many variants including a dice game. Catan isn't a single game its style of game, there is plenty of room for artistic expression and CWE was doing that really well. Like Wind I hope these mechanics make it into a different MMO game.

"The divergence from the board game didn't help." @Grogyan as far as I can tell you are the only player who seems to care about that. I have read anything from anyone else here, or elsewhere online, complaining about the game play.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭

I think you'll find a lot of discussions around many aspects about the divergence from the board game not working out.

Robber being one. Play the board game, a lot, and Understanding what that one game piece does to the game. Then see what wasn't happening in World Explorers. The robber is essentially a regulator, to regulate pace of the game. Obviously it would have to be tailored for World Explorers in a different way, but to achieve the same goal.

• NarumiNarumi Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Maybe release the game to the rest of the world before end?

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

And why not to actually release the game to see how well it does?

• ZorblaxZorblax Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

Can we at least preserve the player profile, level & achievements somewhere central, like a Niantic profile?

#foreverbronze

• LinkMatrixLinkMatrix Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the brief and enjoyable game.

• FATCATFATCAT Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

R.I.P

• MikeDeville000MikeDeville000 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Sad news! Ingress is great though. Join the Resistance today ( Blue team ) ☺️

• ManiacDManiacD Member Posts: 10 ✭✭

Very sad news I have been enjoying playing the game since the beginning.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to play and good luck in any future endeavors

• DrHeadgearDrHeadgear Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

Sad news, but not entirely unexpected, it was clear something was up when feedback on the forum pretty much disappeared. By "overcomplicated" I'm guessing the code architecture got a bit too messy - the prevalence of unfixed critical bugs suggests the same. The actual game was relatively simple to play, though possibly difficult to balance (e.g. buildings in golden settlement got so expensive you'd need to play for years to get the investment back, gold maybe too easy to obtain etc)

In the end though, there probably just wasn't enough take up. Judging by global/personal VP scores (possibly not reliable and there are differences in how they're calculated ) I'm probably responsible for about 1% of VP for Eagles globally, and even though I play every day I've never been a grinder. In most games I wouldn't expect to be responsible for 1% of my team's score in my city.

Commiserations to the team, I thought you had some nice ideas, and I hope none of you are out of a job.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭

Sad news. I note that you say you can only transfer Gold balance to Pokémon GO? How come not to CMU on Ingress or Gold on Wizards Unite.

It’s a shame most never got to experience the game but it did seem held off on global launch for way way too long.

Hope you’re all still able to keep doing great work elsewhere. What happens with the forums? Are they kept as a time capsule or just deleted?

• KhatreKhatre Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

could you release the beta worldwide then for those who did not even got to try it ? 😅