Strategy and Gameplay

What are the best buildings to put down for a new settlement?

IllIll Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

Just wondering, as there will be new players to the game who will be able to contribute I assume putting common cards you get at the start first is the best idea? Then more people can contribute?

Tagged:

Comments

• DoraDora Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Not necessarily. You want to play the cards which give the best rewards on the first two spots because they're guaranteed every die roll, and then the next best on tiles with a 6 or 8 (3 dice combinations each so a higher chance of throwing.)

For me, next season, that would be something like the storehouse and the staplehouse on the first two tiles, but in order to play the staplehouse I'd have to grow the settlement before placing.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Is there a set pattern on what tiles get what number (and in turn, what type of tile they are), or is it all RNG?

I've been starting to wonder if there is actually any strategy to how you grow the settlement and place new buildings

@xoxRARITYxox

Bit confused by what you mean; if you add some new tiles with a plot or two to build on, does the building you place down have some relevance. Locally it seems we are wool based, so every new tile seems to be wool - you can only build one wool store.

@fiyahflash if your local cell is full of sheep this season don't waste the space building a wool market. It's pointless because you'll never want to trade for it.

@DafidDanu yes, that's exactly it. I'm seeing it a LOT this season.

Tiles should be grown before new buildings are placed to optimise gains from the harvest dice.

• IllIll Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

@xoxRARITYxox Thanks for the response, il try grow the settlements i come across more before placing buildings, What are the best buildings to put on the garunteed roll slots???! Without knowing yesterday I put down an ore market on the garunteed roll but it does nothing so my mistake there but you dont really think about that when you start cause tutorial never said whats best to put down on those slots.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Thanks, gives amazing insight for preparing to the game. 👍 Without reading these I would have no idea what to do and what makes sense.

So - maybe I need to read some more (though I am not sure where); but if you build a tile which then opens up a building slot, there is an optimal building to place on that slot, and is there building that don't need to be built depending on what other building are around/tiles?

From comments the answer is yes - grow the settlement, build the tiles and then place the buildings and don't place any buildings until the tiles have been fully developed? I've just been dumping a building that wasn't at a settlement in the next available slot, without any care as to what type of tile(s) the slots are.

The two areas I play in are mostly Wool/Ore with a mix of Wood and Wool/Wheat with a mix of Wood, and brick is only available as a resource from trading, from personal settlements and dice throw games.

@fiyahflash Youd want to place a brick market then

@fiyahflash

Cell 1: brick, wood, wheat.

Cell 2: brick, ore, wood.

You don't want to have to jump between playing cells to collect resources because you'll end up with inventory issues.

• AlbaacAlbaac Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

I’ve been trying to load the first two spots with a crane and storehouse expecting guaranteed cards and resources whatever I roll but the crane building seems to never yield a card from the starred cells?

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

I can see that Crane and Staplehouse give +1 development card but what does storehouse actually give? What does ”random reward” mean?

@JItkonen random resource reward

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Ressources tier 3 should be the best buildings to build on the 2*

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@Catanius I'm not really sure about that... Fully maxed it's only one ressource 15 cards. A staple house and cranes give at max Level 5 cards, which means depending on wjhat card you get a lot more ressources in total... And now with the lowered gold rewards on minigames, I thought about putting treasuries on the 5 or nearest most visited settlements. I still think reaching the daily gold liimit is the most important, because you can grow the golden seetlemnt which is quite powerful with the community center (150 of each ressources when the number tile is roled)

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

btw buildings with only VP should be place at the most outer region with only 1 tile touching the building if at all...

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Good insights everyone! I agree that gold is important and have been putting treasury on the * tile but i’ve been randomly plonking whatever cards i have on hand on the rest of the tiles. (Im still developing my tier 3 cards, only have festival hall for now) Would be more mindful of what i place tmr (and hopefully no random strangers plonking random cards haha)

• CycloVikingCycloViking Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I like Farmhouse on a star - gives lots of resources when maxed. Sounds like Treasury makes sense. Any other suggestions/preferences?

Im doing farmers market+ treasury on * tiles followed by crane and whatever’s lacking in the cells nearby. For me its wool this season.

seems like my gilda hard quest is still collecting 5000 wheat. Lol. So im aiming to develop grain silo soon.

OMG i just read the description on the card. Treasury does NOTHING this season! Shouldnt have placed it on * sobs

Grain silo is useless too. Idk why i shd unlock any tier 3 anymore

• Randy76Randy76 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

You need to go into card details to look at the effect. Its still there.

However, I prefer to put down library and treasury for RP and Gold.

Then why does it say no additional effect? So misleading

• CycloVikingCycloViking Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

@Charmq because it's a little hit broken now:-/

• beeeeeeesbeeeeeees Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

It's obviously changing as the cards change, but my strategy at the start of this season was to first find out if any specific resources are rare across my two usual regions, and then put the tier 3 resources on the stars. This has backfired a bit, but I will do the same next season except whatever cards give me the most of that resource. If nothing is sparse, my first focus is in reducing trading down to 3:1 for everything - so the tier 1 resources plus farmers market. I play all the cards that give me something before playing the pure VP cards on settlements that I would regularly visit. For further out settlements I just focus on scoring the highest VP possible with what I have in my hand at the time.

• ArkToleiArkTolei Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Assuming you're starting from scratch, are playing actively, and your area isn't active yet, I would suggest for the * putting storehouses/crane combos asap. The next season I would switch it to storehouse/farmer's market (you'll need to upgrade the settlement to tier 2 before you put down the farmer's market). Once you get tier 3 resource buildings put the inverse of the local resources.

What you especially do not want to do once you have a bunch of buildings researched is put buildings that new players will be putting down, because low level buildings cap out super fast, so in "helping" them you are actually preventing them from playing the game at all. They literally can't put down high level cards. If you fill the early slots with high level buildings they can expand the town to get a slot for their tier 1 building, which feels good, and gives far more value to the team (the majority of resources will be spent on the expansion, with only 1 card needed to add the building, rather than needing to spend 6 cards just to upgrade the building).