CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

Strategy and Gameplay

End of season, beginning the next

GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭

We found out that the 72 hour mark to the end of season gives you a 50% chance of getting a higher tier development card.

And 75% chance in the last 24 hours or so.

Discussions around, suggest that the next season will begin by players using the (cheap) settlement upgrade to upgrade to tier 2 and tier 3, thus being able to plop down higher tier cards for greater rewards during the Dice toss and trading

Comments

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I am under the impression that we loose all cards and resources at the start of the season and will only have an advantage over new players because we keep our unlocked uncommon and rare cards - therefore can build higher VP buildings faster than this season.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

We lose all resources we currently have.

Development cards, not sure. Will know more in less than 24 hours

• DoraDora Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

We’re supposed to lose development cards as well so I’ll be cashing mine in for the RP tonight.

• CATANSkylerCATANSkyler Administrator Posts: 45 Admin

Hey everyone! Reminder, at Season’s end: 

• Scores reset, Settlements reset, and Resource Center locations change.
    • Card quantities (Resources, Mini Games, and Crafted Buildings) will be set back to zero.
    • Your Faction, Personal Settlement, Unlocked Cards, Boost cards, and Gold will remain.

@xDTrollBusterxD good point, I would have surely forgotten 🤣

@CATANSkyler do you know if the locations of Resource centres and Settlements will occur live if still in game or if there is a time window for it to occur?

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I'll be walking to work at 7am when the season ends, so will be interesting to see if I can see the change live or if I need to restart the game.

I saw only one Settlement move today. No new ones

Was hoping for a lot more settlements pop up

I really liked the way they did the settlement shifts. The ones closest to home didn't change but the ones close to work did. Super handy all round this season. Plus the best combination of resources for the friendship and daily quests. I feel it's going to be a good season 😁

Where some have moved, is better.

Others haven't.

At least my local parks have a settlement each.

But honestly, I doubt this is nearly enough. There is simply too many Resource Centers. And not in keeping with the board game.

Rolling dice is a rather pleasant activity for getting resources.

Now that we have been around the block, this season should be interesting. Will the Red wolves win?

Seems like the most activity occurs in that last 72 hours

There would be no point having more settlements and less resources. I'm mostly playing suburban and finding the balance pretty good.

Settlements gives resources.

Today wasn't a good day, didn't get out beyond the daily lunch time walk around the block at work.

2 settlements and 7 Resource centers, 6 of which now give brick :(

Settlements in that cell will also give brick this season though until it's built up with useful buildings so more settlements wouldn't be of any use.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

I would not like to see too many settlements on a small area because it doesn’t encourage to go to new places so easily. I have understood that the density is now about the same as PoGo gym density which probably is good.

Disagree, lack of anything, full on one resource.

Having a lot more settlements around, for me, would be 10x more engaging than what it is now

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

But isn’t that obviously the idea. You have one resource and you need to trade it to get the others. Or travel to other areas that have that resource.

You get two dominant resources in a level 14 cell, plus a few of a third resource. The idea is to build and trade for resource 4 and 5, or go explore a different playing cell.

Edit ... cos edit doesn’t work.

My mistake on level 14 ... it’s two dominant and a third resource in a local scoring region. The settlements are level 14, not the local scoring region.

@xDTrollBusterxD however, when I go out to be super active, loitering is boring, and need to keep moving. With resource centers giving the same resources all the time, you cannot craft development cards, and cannot recycle resources. And you are back to loitering.

We already have pokemon go which has a lot of loitering involved. Prefer CWE not to follow the same and the more random resources a settlement has enables the more options to craft, trade etc, and maintain inventory better

I don't go into different cells, as that is considering gaming the system and exploiting it.

• MrPootisMrPootis Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Umm yeah going into a different cell is definitely not cheating and exploiting.

It's actually the game rewarding you for the effort of going further away and playing the game.

• FresspapaFresspapa Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

What about Research Points? Do they reset or roll over? I'd hate to unlock a rare card to then see it disappear at the season change. I'd rather keep the RP for the next season and unlock the card then.

• SkindogSkindog Member Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@Fresspapa RP and unlocked cards roll over. So take advantage of the x4 rewards and aim for RP on all your minigames tomorrow!

• FresspapaFresspapa Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

@Skindog , now I'm gonna struggle. Try to level up one of my monuments to 99 for the 50 bonus points or go wild on RP. Tough call.

• DrHeadgearDrHeadgear Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

Do totem tokens get reset at end of season?

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
  • CATANGrayCATANGray Moderator Posts: 268 Moderator

Hi @DrHeadgear! Totem Tokens are some of the items which will not reset at the Season's end. To make things more familiar for you or anyone else who's may stumble upon this comment. 😊 Feel free to refer to these manual on what will remain and what will change after the Season has ended:

• Scores reset, Settlements reset, and Resource Center locations change.
    • Card quantities (Resources, Mini Games, and Crafted Buildings) will be set back to zero.
    • Your Faction, Golden Settlement, Unlocked Cards, Boost cards, Totem Tokens, Explorer Points, and Gold will remain.