Report a Bug

Share issues that you've found in the game

Mayor System - Algorithm to determine seems broken

fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

At the start of Season 2 (Wednesday 29th in New Zealand), I made an effort on 10 settlements to be the top contributor and therefore mayor. I focused on 6 settlements in Dunedin (on the way to/from the car and walkable at lunchtime) and 4 in Mosgiel where I live.

Between Wednesday and Friday I contributed 196 VP points to the wolves score and grew each of these settlements from stage one to stage three, added all the building plots and all the buildings. On Sunday morning I was disappointed when I woke up and didn't have any notifications - later learning that no one had received any.

On Sunday and Monday I checked out these settlements and found I was mayor on none of them; there had been a small amount of growth on a few but nothing like the average of 20VP points I had added. What concerned me the most is that on several settlements, the bears were the mayor yet their settlement had 0 VP.

With the how determined as "the Mayor is a player who contributes the most to a Settlement within a given calendar week" (https://community.catanworldexplorers.com/discussion/128/mayor), it seems bizarre that a settlement with 39 VP points on the red side vs 0 on the blue side, can have a blue mayor.

This is probably what will make me take a break from the game - with no "reward" for actions, why bother building up a settlement?

App version 1.3.4

Pixel 3a, Android 10

11 votes

Bug: Resolved · Last Updated

This issue was fixed in the 1.20.1 release. Ticket #12012.

Comments

• CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 237 Admin
    edited August 2020

@fiyahflash We are looking into this. Can you provide a screenshot of a specific settlement where you see this? Also the name of the Settlement you are referring to would also be really helpful. I appreciate it!

Post edited by CATANFiona on
  • fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

@CATANfiona Sure, I'll take a trip to the two gyms that Bears were mayor at; obviously it has been several days since I posted this so I expect the settlements to have changed - probably showing the Bears with settlement points.

Screenshots attached of the two settlements in question; as expected things have changed in a four of days and the blue team does now have some points

• CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 237 Admin

Thank you @fiyahflash! I spoke with our team, and it turns out that VP does not determine who the Mayor becomes, it's actually resources contributed. Our FAQ was incorrect, so we updated it with the correct information. That being said, something still doesn't look right here, so we are looking further into this.

Resources as in wheat, ore, wool, brick and wood; or resource cards?

As the first person to a settlement, you are using a lot of resources to build plots to put up buildings and then using resources to craft the building cards needed. So to get to 20 VP points, that is a lot of resources ...

• SkindogSkindog Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the explanation and the FAQ update @CATANfiona. I can't be sure based on this season, but last season I became Mayor of a settlement that I had only rolled the dice at once through the season, even though others had contributed hundreds of VP between them.

• DoraDora Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I’m pretty sure I became mayor on a couple of settlements last season that I’d only rolled dice on too. Don’t think it happened this season though.

@CATANfiona apparently @Skindog and I both became Mayor on this one this week.

So notifications of mayor did arrive this week? I got none, so I guess I didn't contribute enough this week.

Yeah, they came this week. It doesn't appear that we got the prior week catch up, only the correct week rewards.

I've been mayor on this one for two weeks. Pretty sure nobody else has been to my little town. No rewards given but I did get a notification to say my term on the council has ended and I'm eligible to become mayor again, even though I've always been mayor.

• FfenicsFfenics Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

I’m appearing as Mayor on settlements yet I have received no notifications!

@Ffenics do I need to come and contribute to one of yours just so you can get it back the following week and get a notification? 😂

I should have taken some screenshots; but today I found I was mayor on two settlements but yet have not received any notifications that I am mayor.

Based on the first post, I had checked these settlements last week and was not mayor on them - so they have to be from the last week.

• CATANRaeCATANRae Administrator Posts: 13 Admin

@CATANfiona has mentioned this thread a couple of times during reviews: this is a lot of helpful information!

I've updated and created a handful of tasks for the QA team to follow up on, based on these reports.

Thank you, Explorers!

Screenshot of one settlement that I am mayor in, but have not received any notification of being mayor.

Still harping on with this; screenshot from Season 3

This is a settlement that was about 500m from my house, but is a pain to get to.

When I first came across this settlement on Saturday afternoon, it was empty - hadn't been touched at all.

So I added what you see in the screenshot and then on Sunday morning was slightly disappointed that I didn't receive mayor; went back Tuesday, took the screenshot and confirmed that nothing had been added since my last visit.

Based on this, I hypothesize that the person who put the first resource into a settlement (converts it from grey to a team colour) is then locked out from getting mayor on that settlement.

I will be testing this further during season 4.

@fiyahflash I became mayor on lots of settlements that I was the only player on.

@Dora Guess the game hates me then 😂

Here are two examples from season 4, week 2 that I visited around midday yesterday and no mayor was elected for this week. This seemed to follow week 1 behaviour where rewards aren’t given. I would have been the first to visit the settlements this season.

This is starting to get really problematic. I wasted a whole day yesterday visiting unclaimed settlements and didn’t get rewards for them. The season reset will happen next week so that effort was wasted in terms of mayor rewards. Great for VP but I could have got that locally in my normal day to day play area.

just thinking about it, it didn’t even model week 1 behaviour because in week 1 a mayor is at least elected even if that player doesn’t get rewards. In these examples they just seemed to be pretty much ignored by the system.

I did end up doing a bit of further testing at the start of Season 4 into my thought that being the first to a settlement, locks you out of being mayor; it turns out I was incorrect.

I focused most of my effort into two effort into two settlements for the first few days of Season 4 - one in Dunedin and one just around the corner from home. I did become the mayor of the settlement near home and not the one in Dunedin, but when I looked at all the screenshots I had taken there had been a large increase between one of my visits ...

• SnoopyzellSnoopyzell Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

I've found some settlements confusing with mayor eg my faction has a score of 10 and I have contributed the 10 and another faction has 0 and the mayor is the faction with only 3 points. I can't fathom how it works.

@CATANRae just adding to the mayor issues: I did the rounds today and it looks like any settlement with only 1 or 2 VP doesn't have a mayor appointed.

My current assumption based on this is that theres a minimum VP threshold before a mayor is appointed.

If that's the case, something needs to be done about 0 VP appointing a mayor. I can play 1 upgrade settlement card (which awards no VP) and will be mayor the following week.

I had the benefit of having a settlement around the corner; I poured so many resources into it since the start of the new season .. and of course didn't become mayor - a player who only spun the dice did (I asked him, he said this was his only contribution to the settlement).

I guess thankfully this season is longer so I have a few more chances at becoming mayor.

• AnnyeongAnnyeong Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

This is me during the current season 5 in New Zealand. It ends in 22 hours, I have been the major contributor throughout the season and yet I have not been made Mayor even once.

• NgakauNuiNgakauNui Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Yeah... Still issues with the Mayor thing. 10 hours left of the season, I'm the major contributer for most of my local settlements, but haven't received any rewards. With much a long season, this is frustrating

• BATTFAMBATTFAM Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

I'm the same, in season 5 I was mayor of about 6 settlements but got nothing for it.

• LexlianaLexliana Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

I see the same Problem in Switzerland blue contributet 1VP we/red did 24 but still there is a blue mayor

How?

• LexlianaLexliana Member Posts: 16 ✭✭