News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

What season length do you prefer?

CATANSkylerCATANSkyler Administrator Posts: 45 Admin

Now that you have experienced two seasons in CATAN - World Explorers, we are eager to get your opinion on the timeline of a season. Our first season was 4 weeks long while our more recent season that ended on Wednesday, August 12th was 2 weeks long. Which length did you prefer? Please answer the poll and leave your feedback below!

What season length do you prefer? 80 votes

Two Week Seasons
30%
SLY14KTSnipePickeroldgladosfreesofiaAmaRocketshipSergeich0MilesDafidMoalekStumvomaxBuffymasterCataniusFunLordNaitStalkerAnnabellaAndrosQisgoodforyouffessMichaelBeeDavidchen 24 votes
Four Week Seasons
70%
AjanHukkaNikaKorThorsGateFWhisperIcefalkeInvestigateXMGrogyanOygedeilksdr123shenefcybercool10SkindogDoraStallionNZGoodMorningBabyDarkrifCatanCherrusScorpeGAsinWild 56 votes

Comments

• DoraDora Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

@AjanHukka are you even playing the beta? 😂 How can you vote when you aren't on the ground playing it.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited August 13
    Four Week Seasons

Well, seems that simply having a game account gives an access here on the forum. Just trying to do my best assessment based on all the information available. 🙉

Four Week Seasons

I like both to be honest though IMO I'd like to see a season end on a weekend rather than mid week.

• freesofiafreesofia Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Two Week Seasons

Old Delta-T dogs will tell you best how long a season is! :)

The truth is in the coordination and planning :)

• SkindogSkindog Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

I liked the 4 week season.

For me, I think the season should be long enough to give us a chance to maximise our main settlements, while still having capacity in other nearby settlements to continue building.

In the 2 week one, I was only just getting to the point of nearly maximising my main settlements, and would have liked some more time to reap the rewards that I'd built up there. There were also a lot of local settlements that weren't even close to capacity, suggesting it could go a bit longer.

But the 4 week one was mainly about trying to level up to a point that I could unlock all the available buildings, so with them unlocked at the start of seasons now a new 4 week season might look a bit different.

• SharkFanCologneSharkFanCologne Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

A calendar month would be perfect

• IcefalkeIcefalke Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

Hello, I would be for a season with 4 weeks

• EzioMentoreEzioMentore Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

I didn't have any Chance to play the Game but I think 4 Week Saisons are better than 2 Week Saisons . But I told you that I didn't play the Game. I hope I and many other Players who will wait will have a chance soon

Four Week Seasons

@StallionNZ four weeks, finish on a weekend, the weekend that will have the hopefully one and only event per month, then staff would be on hand for any issues anyway 😁

I'd like to see a variable option but ten days would be way too short.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

Where are the alternative options; out of the two possibles, then I would prefer four week seasons as they actually allows you time to build up the settlements that you work, live and play next to and then using the rest of the time to visit other areas.

• StallionNZStallionNZ Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

@Dora 10/20 was just random non-divisible by 7 numbers. Mainly so the finishing day moves each time. Gives people who work sat/sun a chance to have it finish when they have time of etc

• B4dB4d Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

I like the idea of a calendar month, it's easy to remember and will finish on different days, not everyone work a m-f job and can go hard in the 'last' weekend.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

Calendar month would then require a decision which timezone calendar month to use. Of course that wouldn’t be any critical problem.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

@CATANSkyler I'm more the latter, though I felt that 4 weeks was too long, and 2 weeks is too short.

Perhaps a 3rd option?

3 weeks?

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

@CATANSkyler Seems crazy to have a poll where those that haven’t even played the game yet can vote to skew results?!???

I have enjoyed the variety of different season lengths, but once a player has unlocked cards and is fully playing, a two week season doesn’t give enough time to gather and grow settlements to any worthwhile extent, to build up better trading options or work with other players.

Instead it means a constant recycle juggle, with too many high level cards gathering from start that can’t be placed anywhere without time for growth to build up.

I think a minimum of 21 days for any cycle is workable, but ideally a calendar month would probably work best. As it allows for different finishing days, gives four full weeks and season progress is easy to keep track of.

Note:

It makes a huge difference playing in a busy central city location with many passing players, as opposed to a quiet residential area without any large park areas. This became highlighted over the last fortnight in Auckland due to restricted movement in COVID-19 lockdown.

So moving settlement locations each season is very important to allow access to change regularly.

Otherwise frustration will drive away players as they get hampered.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

Looks like we are having a four week season for Season 5..

• Travito80Travito80 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

I vote for a calendar month. Two weeks was definitely too short. A month gives you time to head out and explore your whole local area. To be fair, there doesn't seem to be much going on in our region of Fallen Faun apart from what my partner and I are doing.

@FiddleheadNZ definitely agree on moving settlements each season. Even though it was very handy to have a settlement right outside our door on the previous season.

• UrticaUrtica Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

I think a variable length season (or alternating short seasons with longer ones) would be really good. I really enjoyed the different strategies and play styles that emerged in each season length, and I think having seasons that vary in length would retain this. Maybe having a shorter season after 2 longer ones would be a good cycle.

• FresspapaFresspapa Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

While I'm unlocking my cards I'm starting to regret certain placements, so having a season not drag on is important for those still unlocking cards. But i agree, that 2 weeks is tough to upgrade settlements properly. 3-4 weeks would be my preference.

• BATTFAMBATTFAM Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

season 5 was the right length. Season 4 wasn't.

• bigfr0gbigfr0g Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

50/60 days would be nice

• CoffeeAddictMelCoffeeAddictMel Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Four Week Seasons

I think a season should be either a calendar month (although that would suck for the devs for NYE/NYD lol) or alternating longer & shorter seasons.

The thing that is absolutely sucking the life out of playing WU is the constant stream of events. Particularly of late, where they are nigh impossible to complete due to the difficulty level, unless you either play literally all day &/or live in an inner city area where you’re basically sitting on lots of inns/greenhouses/fortresses from your house. So if you have a life/job/kids/family/disability/etc (and worse if you’ve got all of these) plus live in a metropolitan or rural area with limited spawns, it is really off putting that the game is designed to make it impossible for you to achieve anything. I am really enjoying playing Catan, not just bc I like the boardgame but bc the season length means that even if I have a busy day, am having a low-energy day etc, I can still work towards a good outcome for the season.