Game Feedback

Share your comments and suggestions to improve the game

Frustrations and suggestions

HabrokHabrok Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

First up I want to say that I’ve been enjoying the game. If anything at all comes across as harsh, that is not my intention. I aim to be truthful and constructive where possible.

Questing: On occasion I’ll complete a quest, go to collect and it will show ‘in progress’. I’ll wait, nothing changes. I force close the app, restart (the music cuts out, I get annoyed) and it refreshes. I collect my reward.

Questing: on completing a quest, a little slide animation pops out from the right hand side, directly under my thumb and where I normally press to interact with world map interactables. I now have to wait to collect/interact or accidentally go to the quest screen. Either move it up or down but currently it’s in the worst possible place. Especially given that the quest menu button is literally just below it and easy to access. Alternatively, make it animate faster or non interactive.

Sound: external audio cuts out when loading the game, not once but twice. First on game start up, once again on the red sunset screen. This is a mobile gaming 101 colossal f up. At this stage it shouldn’t be happening in any app on any platform and the oversight is amateur. I’m not sure you guys realise how game breaking this is for a majority of people. It literally takes you out of the game. I know it’s being addressed but I had to get that off my chest.

Settlements: please permanently display how many cards are currently needed to upgrade a building. If I have no cards, it just says craft a card. I have no way of knowing how many cards I’ve placed unless I already have one in the inventory. I don’t want to waste resources making just one to see I need five more if I didn’t I tend to upgrade.

Settlements: Please show a countdown timer (like resources currently do) when interacting with settlements to show when the dice roll becomes active again when not within harvesting range. I know the little die appear when it’s ready, but having a timer would be helpful. Speaking of...

Settlements: When interacting with a settlement that is out of range, it will pop up and close instantly. On second interaction it becomes viewable.

Load Times: I know this is being addressed. I also play Pokemon GO and HPWU. Sometimes I switch between them, almost exclusively CWE reloads the entire game (once again cutting my audio).

Seasons: Having come into the game at the tail end of the last season, I’m trying to figure out the point of local scoring vs global and personal VP. So far it seems the global winners get rewarded. Local winners get nothing and personal VP is a flex to see how well you did in your community (I’m ok with this one). Can I assume something is in the works for local community competition as this currently does nothing other than to show what factions are active.

All that said, I’ve enjoyed the game so far. I know it’s beta and as with all works in progress much can and probably will change. Great work so far.

10 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

If you are at a settlement and want to craft a card to get rid of resources, there is no way to know how many cards the structure requires to get upgraded.

At the moment you need to have a card, take note of how cards you need to complete the structure, play the cards and then craft what is needed to complete.

While I understand that you are supposed to be part of a larger team and you don't need to complete a structure yourself - I like getting that Victory Point for myself, so it would be good to know if the structure I wish to complete is actually achievable with the amount of cards and resources I have; if its not, there might be another structure in the same settlement that I can actually help with and complete fully.

• B4dB4d Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

This. If there was only one more change to the game I would like to see this! Most settlements I have built up myself but I can't remember which only needs one more card, and when more are playing there will be no way to know how many cards to level up unless you actually craft one (and use resources where it would've been better to spend elsewhere). I'd much rather be able to level up what only has a card or two to go over needing 5+ cards.

• DoraDora Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

It’s a team game though, so does it really matter? If you play one or two, and someone else comes along and plays a few, eventually your team will get the VP on that space.

(In my idealistic world where we have more players, that would make sense anyway.)

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

@Habrok, I don’t know for sure but I guess that winning local/global season is the absolute ultimate goal of the game that doesn’t have any progression behind it and it doesn’t require any additional reward as it already is the big reward that you win it and your victory gets recorded into game history.

Just like Ingress faction race.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I have much of the same similar frustrations; a couple in the last few weeks has me wondering why I am still opening the game and playing each day.

At the end of Season 4, Niantic decided to just not reward anyon for winning (see https://community.catanworldexplorers.com/discussion/335/end-of-season-4-no-prizes-for-the-wolves); which raises the question of why am I running around over the town gathering resources to place at settlements. If there is no prize, then there is no reason for playing.

Mayors were the "the other prize" in this game - become mayor, get a reduced timer between dice rolls at settlements (this was however broken since Season 2 and has now been removed in Season 5 (https://community.catanworldexplorers.com/discussion/352/mayor-bonus-5-hour-dice-rolls-no-longer-in-game) and you get a pretty useless boost card whenever the "email" arrives.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

There are multiple more issues with the pace of the game, and some groups just camping at settlements.

Still wanting another strategy game to go along with Ingress, so that I can give up on HPWU. Am still hoping Catan will have that

• HabrokHabrok Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

As long as the objectives and rewards are clearly stated I’m happy. In terms of global, local and personal VP, whether its rewards or a gold star next to my name, I’m happy either way.

Since this is a massive test, I’m sure the mayor reward is in testing. As with RP, what worked in theory did not work in practise. So it was back to the drawing board. Hopefully we get something decent soon and working as intended.

• KamikazeDan1KamikazeDan1 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

Just started with Catan yesterday. Agree with point above regarding reloading. It looks like I need to choose any 2 games, as i can switch between 2 games ok, but as soon as I have Ingress, Pogo and catan all running, I need to reload every time I switch games. Without fail. I've invested a lot of time in Ingress and Pogo, so at the moment they will likley win out, with Catan getting gameplay while waiting for FS retsock portal to go live or similar. Please fix it so we can play all your games at once.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

Day 1 player... All of these and more..

But I still really like and want to love this game please!!!!!!

Really frustrated with the default to maximum crafting values for cards, as well as the bad placement of action buttons (mentioned above) that cause annoying navigation problems.

We have been waiting 4 months for the central Auckland chatroom to work at all...

Note.. the large and dense scoring region in the middle of the largest city in New Zealand, the first Beta country given this game??!?? 🤔

Chatrooms seem a major fail anyway now, as no one is using them at all.

• MykaelMykael Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

These days the game shows the number of cards required to level up...

• SarahSarah Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

@Dora I have a couple of settlements I dump cards on, but if I have the resources to craft more cards I'm going to want to pick the ones that are closest to upgrading. There's no easy way to see which those are. At the beginning of a season it doesn't matter, at the end I'm going to want to focus on the ones I can complete, not just craft cards randomly.

• VampVamp Member Posts: 10 ✭✭

If possible could the quest popup be relocated to not popup over the top of the player interaction area? In fact could the interaction area be kept clear of any pop ups or announcements?

Just mildly annoying it pops up at the wrong time just as you are about to click on an object, which then opens the quest screen.

Be nice to keep the general interaction area free from clickable pop ups.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

Yes this! So annoying.

Becomes a real drag for an experienced player.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

1.20 update is so bad