Game Feedback

Share your comments and suggestions to improve the game

Community Building updates - Sept 2020

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 27 Game Developer

Congrats to the Golden Eagles on their first season win!

---

We've got some exciting updates hitting this season! This month, in addition to a number of fixes and features, we also tackled Community Settlement buildings. We actively review player feedback and how well an item or effect is playing in the game world. If you have any suggestions or feedback please leave a comment. Now let's get to it!

Community Building Card Cost updates

We've revisited building card costs to help with a few issues. Juggling resources and limits in the old scheme made inventory management more difficult than intended. Along with that, all prices felt too similar. Under the new scheme, there are options and alternatives for different scarcity combinations while adding variety and some resource specialization.

(Common) Bell Tower Example:

Community Building highlights

(Common) Resource Markets

Benefits:

• Max Level: 2
  • On Build: Improve trade ratio of resource per level.
  • (NEW) On Roll: +50 resource tokens (of market's type) per level.

Developer Note:

A Harvest Dice roll benefit in addition to the standard trade ratio improvement aims to make the buildings more fun overall while creating new strategic choices in settlement layout.

(Common) Storehouse

Benefits:

• (UPDATED) On Roll: +50 random tokens/level (down from 100)

Developer Note:

Nerfed a bit due to the buff on Farmers Market effects.

(Uncommon) Farmers Market

Benefits:

• (UPDATED) Max Level: 10 (from 1)
  • On Build: Improve trade ratio on all resources at Level 1 (fixed, not per level).
  • (NEW) On Roll: +100 random tokens/level

Developer Note:

The new Farmers Market offers our initial goal of the all-around trade ratio benefit, while adding the chance of immediate rewards during Harvest Dice. Let the idea of a "1 level max Farmers Market" never be thought of or spoken of again.

---

And that's that - please feel free to comment below. As I always say in these kinds of posts, effects and numbers are always subject to change. Stay safe and healthy and have a great time exploring and competing this season!

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Thanks @CATANEir. These changes make sense all the way.

BTW, was the bug that the building level doesn’t affect at all fixed now with this also? I mean it was reported that most buildings gave just lvl 1 rewards even if they were lvl 2 or higher.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

But, why did Storehouse need to be nerfed? I understand that the change was there to make the common buildings more useful. Now you introduce an improvement that shifts that generally in the right direction but at the same time you take a step back elsewhere. Farmers market is uncommon so it may take ages for players who have common storehouse to open it so its buff really doesn’t help in those cases. It basically is a disadvantage to brand new players. Also, nerfs give people a really bad feeling about anything.

It’s like visiting someone bringing them a gift but at the same time stealing something from their house. 🙈

• CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 27 Game Developer

@AjanHukka Scaled building rewards should be fixed.

Regarding Storehouse, nerfs aren't taken lightly, but while it may cause some bumps in last season's strategy, we believe it synergizes well with the buffs for this season. We're always looking at building use and so on, so we shall see!

• Shogun79Shogun79 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭

Hi @CATANEir ,

With the new season, did also tier 3 for the daily task change?

Previous season it was bricks and was possible to do that in a day.

I'm still getting bricks, but my region is full of mainly grain and Ore and going for a walk for 1h I didn't manage to get even half of the bricks.

Also after midnight, UTC+2, the daily tasks are done and I can pick my next daily tasks, which needs to be done until 5am. Don't have a screenshot of it, will take today one.

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 94 Community Manager, Global

@Shogun79 It looks like that there is a bug with the hard daily task always being brick. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have brought this up with the team and we will fix this for a future update.

• BATTFAMBATTFAM Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

I like the new cost system to buy the building cards,it does make it harder and slower for us but it adds a bit more thought and strategy to what I want to buy.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

Excellent improvements! The Farmers Market particularly, as always found this a great strategic card.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Nerfs appear to be an attempt to manage the unbalances from Totems.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Why not use the lvl of the buildings to unlock ratio of different ressources? Lvl 1 should not improve trade ratio of all ressources... Only 1 card for that, not enough in my opinion.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@CATANdominik daily quest could be same for a month then change, it make sense no?

• MikeyMikey Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

@Catanius That would effectively mean the daily quest changes with the season. The problem with that is that, although unlikely, it would be possible for some regions to always have the hard quest involve collecting a scarce resource, while in other regions it might always be a common resource.

Personally, I would prefer to have the daily quests change every day. Currently wheat is scarce in my region, which means I know that I won't be able to complete a hard quest until the last few days of the season when the mini game multipliers take effect.

Further, the easy quest 'discover 5 resource centres' becomes more difficult as the season goes on, as there are fewer resource centres in my area to discover. This makes it very difficult for me to complete after a couple of weeks. So after about halfway through the season, I'll only be able to accept the free reward, as the tasks are too hard. If the quests changed daily, this wouldn't be an issue.