News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Worldwide Launch Timing & Beta Update

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global
edited September 29 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers!

We have seen a lot of questions and speculation from you that CATAN – World Explorers might launch worldwide within the next few weeks. We want to be transparent about how we think about the launch timing to better address your expectations: to be clear, we are not going to launch the game until it is ready. 

We really appreciate the global enthusiasm for CATAN – World Explorers, but there is still a good deal of work we have to do to ensure the game is ready for a worldwide release. This might include: adding features, rebalancing core mechanics, fixing bugs and improving overall performance. 

Here is what we’re currently hard at work on: We have a massive new feature scheduled to be added to the game in October called “Totems”. Totems will add even more opportunities to play the game during times when you are staying at home, and will give you a way to support your friends from another part of town to build up their local settlements – or to compete with them.

We still need your feedback in our “Game Feedback” section of the forum to make CATAN – World Explorers the best game possible. We look forward to hearing your thoughts! It will take some time to implement all of the needed changes and improvements, and we appreciate your patience in this matter.

We are looking forward to the worldwide launch of CATAN – World Explorers as much as you are, and want to make sure that the game is at its best and ready when the day comes. Although we cannot commit to a specific launch date today, we will keep you apprised of future news and updates on the forums.

Yours,

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Thanks, this was something many people probably guessed already but nice to hear a clarification. 😅

But can you tell more accurately what totems exactly do? Possibly a chance to play those private games that are mentioned and commented that ”Private games coming soon.”.

• SkindogSkindog Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update. Also keen to know whether you plan for a reset at worldwide launch, or if the progress we made will carry over.

• SharkFanCologneSharkFanCologne Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Will there be other countries that can help to improve the gaming experience in the beta?

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global

@Skindog We are not planning to reset accounts for global launch.

@SharkFanCologne This depends on so many factors that we can't commit to any specifics right now.

• NgakauNuiNgakauNui Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

For the use of 'totems' I'd suggest avoiding cultural appropriation, please. Perhaps by enlisting a cultural adviser. As an indigenous person, I find such things a disappointment that can take the fun out of the game. It's great the developers have been so interested in our views which is a point of difference go PoGo. There is still a local PoGo (battle) Gym in my city at a historical site recognising the deaths and wrongful incarcerations of peaceful indigenous protesters.

edited September 26

Hmmm, I cannot see how bringing anything like totem to the game can be negative. Totems are pretty universal characteristic of natural religions across the globe.

Though, I see how Catan actually is based on idea of Scandinavic/Viking people (Teuber made this reference already, and Catanian names in the game seem to loyal to that idea). The totems should maybe be viking themed or something to make it more immersive.

• SLY14KTSLY14KT Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Well, are yalls going to be releasing more betas globally? Or what?? I'm seeing in other towns and no where near me. So, I don't wanna interact and then be SCREWED/BANNED!! Get yalls 😫 straight.

• cerealkillercerealkiller Member Posts: 2

Early Access in Australia as of this afternoon.

• KneelB4yourgodKneelB4yourgod Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

Im an Aussie and just signed up this arvo. Can't see anyone else playing in my region or whatever the groupings are called but its early days. Just my luck i chose the losing team (blue)

Is it just Aussies and kiwis at the moment?

It’s just NZ, Australia, Singapore and Switzerland now.

@CATANdominik, are you sure you are able to make the game visible enough before launch? The vast majority of PoGo/HPWU players who probably could be potential players just don’t know about this game because everything you do is very silent and here under cover. That’s why beta player numbers are very small too.

Getting Pokemon Go/Ingress/HPWU players to see advertisements of this game would boost is much. Also, making it visible to Niantic profile could easily grab players’ attention.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

I get adverts all over YouTube .. but I only knew of the game due to word of mouth (someone who actually plays the Catan board game)

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global

@AjanHukka Don't worry, we are very happy with the number of beta players. Right now we are focused on improving the game, not getting it into as many hands as possible.