News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Preview Video: New Totem Feature Sneak Peak (with Lead Designer)

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global
edited September 30 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

We have an exciting announcement for you: Today we are giving you, our amazing beta testers, a preview of CATAN – World Explorers’ latest feature: Totems. Totems offer a great new way to explore from home, and will enable you to support your fellow Explorers in another part of town. Our preview video will give you an exclusive first look into the biggest change to the core gameplay up to date. 

The video is hosted by Dominik (Global Community Manager), who will be joined by Nate (CATAN – World Explorers Lead Designer). Together they will give a full demo of the Totem feature. 

You can find the preview video here: https://youtu.be/itvqyoXyXxQ

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29

Huh, I was aftaid it would be something game breaking like HPWU Knight Bus or PoGo remote raids.

instead it is just Ingress drone rebranded. A nice supplementary feature. 👍

• TRNAegonTRNAegon Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

Wow. This just made me so hyped to play the game already... (Patiently waiting for the global release)

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

This is bad, really, really bad!

The game already has a massive camping problem.

Now you have just ruined the game with Totems.

I highly recommend removing this feature ASAP.

• EzioMentoreEzioMentore Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Great , rearly. I have seen the Video. Wow. I hope it will come very very soon. I wait and wait. I hope so

• 007007 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

Yay this is epic! thanks! This means i can actually visit settlements! because i don't have enough mobile data to go to settlements myself hahahaha

I feel like I am the only one who is pointing out how this one feature will completely unbalance the game.

As shown already with some of the comments.

@CATANdominik please do not enable this feature

edited September 29

@Grogyan, did you watch the video? It really has a very minor effect on anything. I was really afraid when I heard anout this but it’s just a small bonus.

It would unbalance if you had much more tokens a day. 3 free is not much, luckily.

@AjanHukka I did watch the video.

In fact, I know full well how this will play out.

Did you step back, think how this feature would be abused?

If I spend hours getting resources to upgrade settlements.

Only for a number of players who don't leave the house because they have resource centers at their place, will just pay to win.

Meaning us who actually make the effort to go out, is now pointless.

I don’t think S2 lvl 17 cells allow more than 4 resource centers to be accessed from a single point. And even that is extremely rare. Of course there’s the sweet spot of having like 2-3 reachable from your house and then using totem to use the resources.

But that’s not very much as you only have 8 resource center visit till burnout.

But it may be true that if you play ultra casually you can reach your daily goals just from couch.

But if you are using more time daily to play you won’t get much relative benefit from this.

• DoraDora Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

One question from me: does the totem get reset at the end of each season, and has to start over from home again?

Looks good!

• KiwiMarinaKiwiMarina Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Looking forward to these totems. Will change the game a bit, but it's not a bad thing. And the more things you're able to do in a game should draw in more players, more competition. Can't wait for the update 😀

• KiwiMarinaKiwiMarina Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Ok so ive updated it it shows the totem points, but it won't let me buy them like in the video above.

• SnoopyzellSnoopyzell Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

I love this idea. I was wondering how I would be able to maintain my main local settlement near my home whenever I am away on holiday.

I was away for work over the weekend. I wasn't able to access my personal settlement which I have at my house. Would the avatar also allow access to ourpersonal settlement?

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

@Grogyan you know what actually unbalances the game...? Correct! It's pay to win...

edited September 30

@CATANdominik, is there a maximum number of tokens a player can have at once. And if there is, how much is it?

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global

@AjanHukka There is no limit for the number of Totem Tokens you can hold.

Also Totem Tokens do not get lost at the end of the Season.

@CATANdominik my reset question was referring to the totems location, not the tokens.

If I’ve sent my wolf out into the big wide world (when international travel is a thing again), what happens to it at the end of a season. Does it return home again or stay where I’ve left it?

Also, what would happen to it’s location if a POI is removed from the game?

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

Not trying to sound negative, though it may come off that way; but as I watched the video I was thinking to myself "but why would I"

If I can see somewhere on the map when the game is open, then I can probably drive there (no incentive to walk), do what I need to do and then while in the area do other things all without the need of a totem.

Having just got the new update, you can't move the map out of the region you are currently in, which means I can't even move it to my personal settlement to see if I can collect resources from there.

I had to laugh that one of the bugs in the game I posted was shown in the promo video. Since my bug report hasn't been addressed, I really hope the team that put the video together have taken notice and are working to resolve.

@fiyahflash you’ve got a 10km radius for each point your totem is at. So I moved mine 10kms to a point that I don’t really get to, and then can move it another 10kms from there.

I was going to aim for Christchurch but can’t get across Cook Strait so have left it on my own little island in the middle of Wellington Harbour so I can build a little island nation.

You can’t always walk to every settlement on the map.

@fiyahflash, I think you just missed the option to move the totem via minimap. That’s demonstrated on the video.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

No, I didn't miss the map view; the first thing I tried to do was to use the map to get to home which is 15km away and in another game region. I couldn't get past the region border and most of the Dunedin City region is water ..

So at home I tried to move to Dunedin - and again couldn't get past the region border and I couldn't move the map very far at all

edited October 1

@fiyahflash, 10 km is maximum map radius so you cannot get to a place 15 km away with one step.