News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

NOW LIVE: Use Totems to play from anywhere!

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global
edited October 8 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

It has always been our intention with CATAN – World Explorers to make the world a smaller place through exploration and to encourage discovery. Current world events have made that both more complicated and even more important than ever before. To address this, we’ve created Totems: a new feature that empowers Explorers to play from anywhere.

Even when it seems like exploration isn’t something you can personally do, you have a new ally in the form of your Faction’s Totem.

Totems to the Rescue!

With Totems you can now take control of your Faction’s Totem – a representation of the Monument sculpture – and send them out to explore on your behalf. So whether you’re an Eagle, a Wolf, or a Bear, you can continue to help your Faction to win by deploying your Totem to gather resources. This opens up new possibilities within the game, as well as all-new strategies!

What do Totems Do?

You can choose to send your Totem out into the world as the first and last thing you do each day, but more importantly, your Totem can also safely explore on your behalf any time it’s not ideal for you to personally do so. Totems can interact with nearby Resource Centers and Settlements and help you Trade, Harvest, and Build from wherever you are.

Empowering Your Totem

To activate your Totem, simply use Totem Tokens to move or to gather resources at a Resource Center or Settlement. You’ll be able to secure Totem Tokens with each Daily Login and by completing your Daily Quests. A limited number of Totem Tokens will also be purchasable from the shop.

We Want Your Feedback

CATAN – World Explorers is still in beta and we need your help to improve the game. Please let us know what you think of this game changing feature! You can report technical problems in our “Report a Bug” section or let us know if you have any suggestions to improve Totems in the “Game Feedback” section. 

Gameplay Demo

We also published a video hosted by Dominik (Global Community Manager), who was joined by Nate (CATAN – World Explorers Lead Designer). Together they gave a full demo of the Totem feature. 

Note: If you have not installed the latest update (1.14.2) you will be unable to purchase Totem Tokens in the shop.

- The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANSkyler on

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I have already seen, these first few hours scores that clearly show that this feature is being abused.

As I warned prior to it going live.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the 5 extra free tokens

• DoraDora Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

@Grogyan please enlighten us as to how it’s being abused.

It’s simply not possible due to RC burnout, and max tokens of 13 per day.

I think the thread that @Grogyan created where he may have explained how he thinks it is being abused was removed

I said the same thing - with a max of 13 tokens per day, and still needing resources - it doesn't seem possible to be abused.

• KaagmansKaagmans Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Pressing the Token button leads to loading page.

Then go's right back to standard map.

Meanwhile a finger keeps pointing at the token.

Restart wont help.

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global

@fiyahflash We did not remove any comments by @Grogyan. It looks like his comment got lost because of a technical bug. I've also replied to the original thread.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 29 ✭✭

Anyone else experiencing a new Totem token bug taking 2 x tokens for every move and entry? 😱

Been working ok until last half hour... except when game froze yesterday and made me pay twice to enter 😢

I started with 14 tokens... entered once and moved once... went down to 10.

Next single entry dropped token tally down to 8!!!!!!! **** 😱 Being very frugal with my hard earned tokens, so can’t afford this.

HELP! @CATANdominik

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 24 Community Manager, Global

@FiddleheadNZ Thanks for letting me know. I have reported this with the team. (The best way to report such bugs without your report getting lost is in our Report a Bug section.)

@CATANdominik

He had reported in the bug section, but the vast majority of bugs and issues since the start of Season 5 have been ignored by the team - no messages by any Catan staff asking more questions, no tag saying they are investigating, almost nothing resolved

Duplicate issues are being posted as new beta countries come on board as people can't be bothered going back a few pages which leads to important issues being placed on page 2-3-4, which in turn leads to more duplicate reports.

• KReaturezKReaturez Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Is it intended?

To move the token, you use 1 token. To interact with something within the token's range uses another token.

What is the point of the first token?

I would assume strategy .. limited tokens, means you have to decide to either a) move or b) interact but probably not both

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

When not in totem mode could you add a warning before we spend a totem coin? Three times I have clicked on the button by mistake. Totem button and "explore" button are in the same place and it's annoyous to check every time which button we will click. Thank you @CATANdominik

@Catanius Can you please submit your request in the "Game Feedback" section. Then other players can upvote it, so we can see if this is something others would like to get changed, too.

@KReaturez Yes, it is intended that it costs a Token to move and then another one to interact. It is meant to limit your ability to switch around constantly. One strategy can be to just leave it at your friend's or frenemy's settlement and visit it every day. Or to get the resource that is scarce in your area. I'm sure other Explorers will come with even more creative ways to use the Totem than me.

• KReaturezKReaturez Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks for clarification.

I think mine was a bug whereby everytime I wanted to interact with the object, I had to "move" the token there again when it was already there.

@CATANdominik With the introduction of totems, the view of the regional map has been limited (my home region is very large, starts 110km to the North of where I play, goes 250km inland and at least 100km to the south. I used to be able to see the border of that region, but now I can't.

I do work in another region, and can't switch between the two as the "border" once again gets in the way

@Dora mentioned 10km

@FiddleheadNZ That's good feedback. We had to limit the map view for the initial version of Totems, as it was a quick way to prevent people from zooming out too much and using the Totem to travel the whole world. Though this is something where we are still looking to find the right balance for future updates. So its good to hear about your experience.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@CATANdominik Is disagree.

Totems are just too unbalanced and too easy to gain VP.

One of many ways to rebalance it is to limit movement to the cell you are in, or Personal Settlement is in.

Crafting, trading and putting down VPs via a Totem should stop.