Report a Bug

Share issues that you've found in the game

Playing as a Passenger

MykaelMykael Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 1 in Report a Bug

A few things...

How many times do you need to ask me if I'm a passenger. Once per journey would seem sufficient, but sometimes I'm getting it 2 or 3 times a minute, often resulting in missing opportunities and a lot of frustration.

The animations take to long, locking the screen up while the bus goes past resources you want to click on. Any way to turn them off? The post resource discovery animation is especially annoying as by the time it's fnished, I'm usually out of range to actually harvest the resource or interact with the settlement.

Cards that come up to full screen and block your view (and interaction) with other things are just annoying.

Seems I can't spot any shrubs once I'm moving above 80kph (about 50mph). Makes for very boring game play on longer trips.

I've had a few resources freeze a little, then flash up a messages about 'cheat detected'. All I did was click on them as we passed them.

Totem play is seriously broken. 9 attempts out of 10 to build or grown in a settlement accessed via totem just gives me the 'are you a passenger?' prompt. Persevere and it does get through though...

Map loading seems a bit slow, especially park play pieces. Often they'll appear all around once the bus is well within them.

There are a few places where park play tokens are placed across roads or in reserves at the sides of roads. You might want to add soemthing to detect and track these (park play pick up while traveling 20kph) so you can remove them (ther presence could encourage children to walk somewhere dangerous). At least one local occurance is related to the construction of a new road through what used to be a nature reserve... You've got the road in your map, but the park-play tokens are still there - about 5km worth of them.

Post edited by CATANGray on
20 votes

Bug: Resolved · Last Updated

Bug #391 - 'Cheat Detected' message

Comments

• FresspapaFresspapa Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

we're on a trip to visit family. Wife agreed to drive so i can play a little:-) So after the speed limit kept me from picking up shrubs I thought I'd use my totem to play some cards at a settlement. Well. That was a wasted totem token. Could not play a single card as the speed limit kept cancelling out the action making me choose 'I'm a passenger' over and over again.

By the time we were driving slow enough to play some cards, the game crashed in mid animation and i had to restart it completely.

My recommendation to resolve this issue: disable the speed limit when performing totem action

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Hmmm...I think the speed limit preventing any actions during high speeds is a good thing. Removing the cap would encourage playing totems while driving.

I’m saying this as a player who travels in train a lot and speed cap often disturbs playing but I think it does its job.

• SkindogSkindog Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

My problem is less totem and more speed cap related.

The speed cap is a joke, and the totem issue just highlights it further. It means I can't play during around a quarter of the time each day I actually have an opportunity to play (when I'm on the train).

The cap only kicks in at high speeds, which doesn't stop play while driving (at 50km/h it's still easy to swipe RCs), but stops play on most public transport. The "I'm a passenger" message pops up over and over again. Not to mention that I get told I'm a cheat about 5 times a day on my way to and from work. I get constant crashes. And very few rewards.

The best way to maximise VP is to visit as many settlements as possible. And despite the speed cap, the most efficient way to visit as many settlements as possible is by driving and stopping at each one. Walking is a slow way to earn VP, unless you're in an area with tonnes of POIs. And public transport users are left behind, because even though they might pass 10 settlements on their commute, the train or bus doesn't stop at each one like a car does and you get booted before you even have a chance to throw the dice.

Walking in the city, I can get maybe 50-75 VP per hour if the settlements that haven't been built up too much, playing with all cards unlocked, nearly maxed inventory limits, and what I understand is the optimal VP strategy. Compare that to the people who go out for a few hours on the last night of the season and come home with thousands of VP because they've been using their cars, and it makes a mockery of the mechanisms that are meant to prevent playing while driving.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while it might stop people driving at 80km/h while on their phones, the cap is ineffective at stopping people using their car to win. And it comes with a major consequence of preventing any meaningful potential play for public transport users.

However, sometimes there may be a road that goes over a park area. It would be annoying that a road on different level blocks legitimate park tiles.

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

There was a very good post a few seasons back about speed detection in this game - sadly I can't find the post at this time.

The algorithm to determine when a Catan or shrub appears seems to be broken; at lunch I can do a 2-3-4km walk and not encounter either a Catan or shrub, but everyday I drive 1km to take my dog for a walk at the park and on that 1km trip, I can find more Catan quests than I can collect and complete a 10 shrub task with ease. I.e., the algorithm favours driving over walking speed to spawn Catan and shrubs.

Like @Redbird I sat on a friendship quest for over 3 weeks before randomly running back into the same Catan to complete. I was so sick of having that notification on screen and sick of the notification telling me the quest was complete.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@fiyahflash its such an irony tt catanians seem to pop up coz of speed like u said, but when u drive and try to swipe some respurces it says cheat detected and u are unable to. Haha.

• DeadimusDeadimus Member Posts: 1

Get this sorted, total PIA and is the only thing stopping me buying gold for this game......

• Starbright1016Starbright1016 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

NIA doesn't let you collect over a certain speed. Safety issues. It's frustrating but there due to people driving and playing.

• BATTFAMBATTFAM Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

The cheat detected message is rude and annoying, I’m a bus passenger pulling into a bus stop and it tells me cheat detected.

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I was on a suburban train today & the game was unplayable because of the frequent speed warnings. Three in the 1st kilometre before I gave up.

• Bianca2311Bianca2311 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

I think the speed detection should be turned off when you are in Totem Mode. I understand not being able to collect as I travel due to speed and safety. I wish I could because it's annoying to whisk past so many resources but I should be able to, in those too fast stretches, top up my settlement with my Totem.

• WindWind Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

100% the text message is rude and needs to be correctly rewritting for high speed/cooldown

something like

High Speed Detected - on Cooldown, try again later

• RedbirdRedbird Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

This bug is so bad always comes up again and somtetimes when you click on a ressourcecenter it says cheat detected....

Post edited by CATANGray on
  • RedbirdRedbird Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

To precise the bug:

Until 79kmh all is ok

Between 80kmh and 99kmh every action even totem comes the popup with i....

After 100kmh every actipn does not work or says cheat detected.

In switzerland out of citys you can drive often 80kmh on a autobah/highway 120kmh.

Train can have a speed up to 150kmh on most tracks.

So this bug is very annoying to me because i do never drive my self a car, always passenger.

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

@Redbird the problem here are unreasonable players, who'd play anyway even if they are driving. How would you want to make sure as niantic that the player isn't driving. where lies the responsibility? I think this is more a legal issue not really solvable. I thought about it a lot too. take pictures in the passanger seat every 5 minutes which proves you aren't driving? how would that be verified? by whom? a bot?

• CATANGrayCATANGray Moderator Posts: 184 Moderator

Hi @Redbird, your discussion is similar to an already active one. I have merged it so that everyone can track this issue in one place.

Most players who play while driving actually don’t play in high speeds but rather just drive slowly. This high speed restriction doesn’t help that playing&driving issue at all I think.

• DerwentDerwent Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Agreed! Surely pressing the passenger button once allows them to say they warned against driving and covers them.

Totally with you about the animations, takes far too long and you miss so much, wish they could be turned off or skipped..

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

I thought there was a bug fix recently to reduce this but it still appeared a lot over the weekend. Most noticeable when the car crossed 70km/h. A timed warning would likely be less annoying and could be appropriately spaced out.

• noelhonoelho Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

Agreed. Ingress, PokemonGo and WizardsUnite all have the same warning, but it only shows up once. Why the OCD warning in CATAN?

• DarkillerDarkiller Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Agreed. Playing on public transport is the main time when i'm playing to play the game... So this is really annoying.

• CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 344 Admin

Hi -Just an update on this. The frequent speed warnings are not a bug, it's technically intended, but since we have received so much feedback on the matter we are going to reduce the amount of times the popup appears on devices. This may take a little time to implement, but please know that it is coming 🙂

• CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 344 Admin

Also, the "cheat detected" message should no longer be appearing! We fixed that in 1.24.

• MorkOfOrkMorkOfOrk Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

The Cheat detected message is not appearing in the most recent version and it is fair enough that you can't act on things near you even as a passenger. That is in line with the behavior in Pokemon. In Pokemon you just can't even interact with things nearby at all. And at most you get a passenger warning every few minutes.

However I agree with some of the other comments that you be able to do other things like use your totem where it is presently located. It is not moving. Also anything else that is not directly related to things nearby should also not have any impairment