News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: Local VS Global Gameplay

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 60 Community Manager, Global
edited November 19 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

As hinted during the live stream session, we are updating how the scoring works to make CATAN – World Explorers more exciting. To ensure we are focusing on the right priorities, we would like to know what you care about most: the Local Game or the Global Game? 

Don’t forget to let us know in the comments if there is anything else that motivates you to compete – as well as if you have any suggestions on how we could improve our scoring system.

Yours

The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Poll: Local VS Global Gameplay 55 votes

The Local Game
94%
CATANRaeTheking465AjanHukkaGrogyanSkindogStallionNZCatanxFairyBabexDafidfiyahflashCataniusFiddleheadNZHarbingerBATTFAMFulmynsge10007SchnuefuKogiSoylentGrien 52 votes
The Global Game
5%
Shogun79Lexlianajeunji 3 votes

Comments

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    The Local Game

Local game. The global game is crazy right now. Lol

• WindWind Member Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
    edited November 11
    The Local Game

Local? Too small. But still good to varies the resource rarity etc. but not good for vp as i play in 3 cells all close to my place.....

Regional would be a perfect fit as it could group large city as one so that could work for metropolitatian areas and if that is the main focus. And if we go the regional route, would love to see a leaderboard of sorts.

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    The Local Game

I like the current local area size. I can play in my home local area where the competition is fierce, & also contribute to friends' areas & feel like those kind of small one or two player contributions can make a difference. If it was regional, I think it would be 50 players vs 50 players at least. Would need an in game faction comms like in Ingress to even begin to organise.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    The Local Game

Local is too small, needs to be regional

Eg cells within the Auckland region

• babilonbabilon Member Posts: 2
    The Local Game

For me it's a singleplayer game anyway, so I'm leading local and don't care global - same as ingress except the singleplayermode 😅

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

+1 for Regional

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

• QueglarQueglar Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    The Local Game

Motivations for competition:

Achievers: Leaderboards - so, make more granular leaderboards that more people can get on. Global and even national leaderboards are too broad, local games with local players are best. Basically you need to give individual players more opportunity to feel like they actually have an impact on the game (even if it is just seeing their name/faction "win" in a local contest).

Explorers: Strategy - more strategic/planning options. Better maps to plan ahead with, better overview of the current game to know who is winning/where/why etc. If no one can "see" the game board to know what the competition is doing, there is no competition. Basically make the state of the competition more transparent - it's hard to be motivated to compete when you can't see the game.

Socailisers: Community - more personality/spirit for each faction. More tools to encourage cooperation - e.g. each season each faction could be given faction-specific side quests/objectives to aim for that are different from the other faction. Regardless of the season outcome, factions that succeed at their special quests get rewarded. Basically you have to get people to identify with their faction more.

Killers: Consequence - more ways to impede or assist other factions. There is absolutely nothing you can do to undermine a faction that dominates. There is also absolutely no way for the two weaker factions in an local/region/global arena to assist each other to take down a dominant faction. Being able to negatively impact on other factions adds a whole new level of competitive play, being able to form alliances of convenience adds a whole new level of competition to ensure no one faction can ever dominate and make the competition pointless.

• BanjoBBanjoB Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    The Local Game

I prefer local, but would like a score for a slightly larger area also. I live on the border of 4 regions so my effort is spread across them all, the region I live in actually has settlements the farthest away so my score here is lower than the other 3. I don't care about global at all.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    The Local Game

Wondering if this changes in 2 days time or they need more time to work this out...