News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Live Stream Recording: Golden Settlements and Q&A with the Lead Designer

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 60 Community Manager, Global
edited November 18 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

On Monday we ran a live stream to introduce the next upcoming feature change to you. Starting soon you will have two type of Settlements that you can place on the gameboard: the Golden Settlement and the Personal Settlement.

Below you can find a recording of our livestream and Q&A session with Lead Designer Nate Chatellier:

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Comments

• MiraggenMiraggen Member Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. 👋

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing @CATANdominik

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Interesting.

@CATANdominik what was the reason why this wasn't an addition to the Golden Settlement?

There is still quite a lot of options to expand on the capability of the Golden Settlement not yet tapped into

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 60 Community Manager, Global
    edited November 12

@Grogyan That's a great question! The idea behind this was that in a post pandemic world most people have 2 places that they spend the majority of their time: work and at home. So we thought many people would appreciate it, if they have a settlement at both places.

Post edited by CATANdominik on
  • SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

No need to change something about rolling a seven... It should not be THAT rewarding, because it has the highest probabilty to be rolled. It would be fun to get the building effects from the other factions or kinda block them, or reroll to block another number 3-tile...

Not resetting the golden settlement would be unfair to new players... Just refund the ones who paid money... It's beta and players have to expect a reset...

Will the researched buildings be reset at least..? If not this would also be hugely unfair to new players... Also there are players with around 40k leftover RPs, which was due to a bug... If these are not reset either and can be used for other stuff like trading into gold coins or other things, this will also be hugely unfair to new players. It would even be unfair to players, who started later in beta phase...

Concerning totem bug: it's not that you can't move the totem, because you still can, but you can't SWITCH to totem MODE. It can be reproduced, if you lose sync and rolled in totem mode in a settlement and overfilled the ressources, which you can't see because it doesn't update (session timeout kinda...?). If you now switch back to player mode and restart the game to sync up your ressources, then totem mode is blocked. I can CONFIRM that the solution is to go to a public settlement and interact with it. What exactly one has to do I can't tell yet... Will figure it out tomorrow, because it is blocked again...

@CATANdominik paragraphs 2 and 3 in my above comment should have been adressed at you 😨

• BATTFAMBATTFAM Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

If beta players get reset as requested above, then I will leave the game. We dealt with all the **** bugs to make this game better and if any reset or removal of the effort put in occurs then I’m confident to say you will lose a huge portion of those who helped you. Don’t do it.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

They explicitely said that there won’t be a reset.

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 60 Community Manager, Global
    edited November 16

@Schnuefu @BATTFAM There won't be a reset for launch. As our beta is country based there is no advantage for certain players.

Also thanks for posting the info regarding the Totem bug! Just a note: It is best to poste such information in the "Report a Bug" section, where our QA team reads along. Otherwise there is a higher chance of this information getting missed.

@CATANdominik not for certain players means there's still an advantage for SOME players :) it's still unfair for new players if tehre's no reset. Current betaplayers would still have their knowledge and the gold would be refunded so no loss in money. Due to Pay-2-Win it's still unfair, but you could make it a little less unfair ;) I really jope you reconsider a reset. There's enough unfairness in the real world, don't you think?

Concerning the Bug Report: I answered in the different Bug Reports other people opened. Is there some sort of moderator in the Bug Report forum? because a lot of reports are about the same issue. Furthermore I don't see any investigations from a moderator asking people to clearify more losely what they did when the bug appeared...

@BATTFAM please don't be so selfish... You'd get your gold coins back and still have your knowledge about the game mechanics... you play here and report bugs and test the game in beta, because you like it and are having fun, else you'd already have stopped playing...

edited November 16

Well, I do understand both of your opinions. It would be annoying to lose progress and meanwhile it’s annoying to just wait and not be able to play. 🤔

And I see how months worth of free gold is quite a lot. That’s really an unfair thing that global launch players would always lag behind.

I hope the game launches as fast as possible after you have made it ready (fix bugs, QoL updates, balance tweaks) to prevent this gap growing even more enormous. More new feature development only after that. @CATANdominik 😉

@CATANdominik You said our personnal settlement will change its name and only its name. You were lying and when update 1.20 has arrived you didn't say anything about the main modification of the community center effect in our personnal settlement. We want back our gold invested in that building. Now it worth nothing and earlier it was the best building to place in the center of our Golden settlement.

@CATANdominik I am still very cautious then how the Personal Settlement will be used by bad actors, for example, multi accounting.

Which would enable too much (hidden) VP scoring, via the Monument.

I do think that the Monument is probably not the best thing to have on the Personal Settlement.

My recommendation is for that 3rd spot, be open for any Uncommon building. Instead of the Monument.

I do see the point of having a settlement at home and at work. However, I reckon that this would allow too much flexibility, and having the Personal Settlement be a part of the Golden Settlement would be better.

@Catanius We are constantly tweaking the balance of the game during beta testing. This balancing change was unrelated to the introduction of the Personal Settlement and part of a general Building rebalancing. There are also many changes, including to Buildings for the Community Settlement. We will have a post on the forum soon to highlight all changes. I'm sorry that all of this is happening at the same time, giving the impression I hid information from you during the live stream.

It’s OK to make this kind of balance tweaks, @CATANdominik.

It’s just that people have used real money to build things based on the functionality there was before. This is exactly like a major change to the Golden settlement that you were talking on the stream how you would make it up to players if you do things like that. And now you’ve done it.

Best solution now would be to just refund all gold that players have used to build GS and move things around there and let players totally rebuild it if they want. And this should be free of any gold cost.

@CATANdominik you didn't rebalance the game. Rebalance the game means change amount of given tokens not change the effect of the card. Give cards to replace tokens is not the same thing... And the fact is that many players have placed their cards in the settlement before you change the effect. So min is to remove all buildings from the settlements and return gold to players and that was not done. Also in less than 12 hours 5 players have upvoted my post and ask to return the community center. What Niantic did was a big mistake @CATANdominik

And I clearly see how Community center rebalance makes sense and you needed to do it.

It’s just very bad thing for beta players who had built it before the change.

@CATANdominik All I have seen the balance of the game go the wrong way.

I have already said this in many chats.

You are just encouraging bad actors

• WindWind Member Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
    edited November 18

@CATANdominik please reconsider community center to be 50 resources each, totalling 250 per building level, which is 1/3 of what it was last season. Thats a better reasonable nerf if you intend to balance the game

2 resource cards randomly per building level is unacceptable reason for anyone to accept

@CATANdominik I agree with @XRMMAI. Better to have all ressources together than have more of only one ressource. With more of 1 Ressource we need to trade so we will lose many ressources => community center now is the worst building ever

Actually @CATANdominik what are you going to do about multiaccounting? Can you personalize the accounts? maybe instead of google accounts make Catan accounts which allow only for one device and one mobile number and one account? 🤔 In a normal boardgame you can't play with two figures either so...