CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

Off-Topic

The Destination of Catan WE

MiraggenMiraggen Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Catan WE was announced, soon a lot of expectations were generated, and many were eager to play.

Local groups were created a little over 1 year ago and until today the anxiety is great, but different from the other titles with the Niantic signature, Catan has been shown to be fragile, with incorrigible bugs, bad choices on the part of the team with a focus on balance and a lack of schedule.

Even many days after the release of the Beta, players around the world are even more frustrated to see that the game continues with a schedule and its launch has stopped in time and drowns in errors and updates that bring more errors.

I am not a game tester, but it is heartbreaking to see beta players increasingly discouraged and saddened by the game.

The question that remains is, am I the only one who is seeing Catan WE dying on the horizon?

Many friends of mine have been discouraged by the game that was not even released.

Every day beta players leave the game aside and with its launch stuck I wondered if the game goes ahead ...

I follow the forum, I follow the news of the game for 1 year and I confess that I am feeling frustrated with Catan WE.

I currently manage a local group for Brazilians from Catan WE that in the last few days many members left the group and gave up the game.

Are you the game tester, how do you feel and what do you think about the future of the title?

Poor Klaus Teuber ...

Comments

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

Two problematic points:

1. Possible too early beta. It’s now been in beta almost 5 months, more than any Niantic related game since Ingress (that was their very first game and was a totally new ground so understandably it took long). Maybe they should’ve stayed in alpha many months longer.
    2. Too much emphasize on bringing and developing new features that are nice but not necessary to bring the game out. They should polish the game, fix bugs and balance issues and bring the game out. New features can be developed after that with care and bring them out when they are ready. This kind of game doesn’t live on new constant content but the basic gameplay and competition (like Ingress, not so much like PoGo or HPWU).
  • MiraggenMiraggen Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@AjanHukka

Your comment reminded me of the release of Pokémon GO here in Brazil. The game had nothing to do, just catching Pokémon and a bad gym system. Hundreds of bugs, but even so it was released and continues today with bugs and added gameplay.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Well, that’s how it was everywhere considering catching Pokemon.

And the gym system was awesome to play with a group of teammates despite having some annoying bugs. 🙂 It was really rewarding if you had a lot of good defender pokemon.

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

I'm a tester and yes it is frustrating, but I also keep in mind that it's beta. I have to make the best out of bugs and report them and make a work around and adapt strategies. If you spend money in beta you should be prepared to lose some ;) nah of course they should not even have implemented to be able to spend money 🤔 in my opinion but yeah the downside of capitalism ;)

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

In my opinion the game should be released when it's properly balanced and complete, not before. I think WU on release was an unbalanced game which fruatrated players too much, which turned a lot of people off & lost a lot of potential revenue. I'd prefer to see a game which works properly on release than a buggy, unbalanced game.

We also need to consider the current environment. Lockdowns aren't the best time to release a game which requires players to be roaming around for long periods. If the game release is delayed until after the US and Europe have imunization programs substantially in place and lockdowns rare, the game will get off to a much better start. The start is everything because people lose interest if they don't see others playing.

Thirdly, it isn't fair to compare Catan with pogo. Not only is it a different kind of game - much more strategy orientated, but anyone who is going to consider playing Catan isn't going to be satisfied with the bug level & quality experienced on the release of pogo. Catan isn't the new style of game that pokemon was. It's a variation on the augmented reality theme & has to be much better to attract any fraction of the pokemon player base.

(Also been playing during the beta for a couple of months now.)

• 0ZinkyZonk0ZinkyZonk Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@Miraggen don't loose hope. The whinging always is loudest lol

I just love Catan!!!!! Spending about $2 to $5 Australian on it each day if nothing changes i'll still play it for many years lol.

Global pandemic? and i still get to play an awesome sauce game. Fantastic Fabulous. I don't care about bugs they are okay.

The game is very beautiful. The focus is building, chance and negotiating probability .... such a refreshing change from battling.