News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Live Stream Recording: Backpack Overhaul Preview (with Nate, Lead Designer)

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 95 Community Manager, Global
edited December 2020 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

On Monday we ran a live stream to introduce a significant user interface update for the game: your Backpack will get a complete redesign!

Below you can find a recording of our livestream and Q&A session with Lead Designer Nate Chatellier:

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Comments

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Will the Backpack-Upgrade take into account when someone already has leveled up? So that we don't lose the backpack space we gaine through leveling up?

Pls don't change anything about RP gain, but you need the adapt the description on the unlock screen: Shrubs aren't the only source. There are Minigames (which give much more RP if thrown well) and certain buildings which aren't mentioned either in the discription...

To tackle the problem of suggested dice games and especially the suggested buildings (if there's a free *-tile it will suggest to build a VP-only building, which is destructive to the settlement setup...): What if we could donfigure these suggestions? Maybe a setting where I can check a box on what I want to focus (RP, VP, Ressources or for dice: rarity, resource, nr of dice)?

If you want us to have to change strategy pls make the same strategy last at least 2 or 3 seasons, because else it gets frustrating, don't you think?

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

@Schnuefu, but it would be interesting if you needed to actually think with your local team every season what you are going to do this time.

Wouldn’t make it too easy and repetitive, would tequire some thought and planning.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

So, no roads :(

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I do like these backpack changes

• BATTFAMBATTFAM Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

Good changes, and like the gold refund for previous backpack spends. But what happens to items in the backpack at the changeover time? I have 56 mini games, what happens to the 26 of those above the new limit of 30 on changeover day?

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

I note that you refund players for that change but not for the golden settlement change. Could you explain me (us) what is different between these 2 things? For both players have invested their gold and for both you decided to change all... Thank you for your explanation @CATANdominik

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 95 Community Manager, Global

@Catanius I have replied to your other thread, where you asked the same question.

• CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 95 Community Manager, Global

@BATTFAM You will keep your cards, but you can't get any new ones until you go below the new limit.

After tested 1.22 I can say that I'm not happy at all of theses changes. The backpack was better when we had to scroll. Also the "unlock card" is not useful after we have unlocked all cards so it stays empty now (earlier was better designed and it was hidden). You say that you give us 2 free updates of the backpack but I didn't find them (maybe the shop is not already updated). The number of slots for buildings is too big and the number of slots for minigames is too small (from 45 to 20).

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

The changing strategy each season sounds interesting. Makes me think of the board game where you have to adapt your staretgy to the board layout which is always different every game. However the changed information does need to be released prior to the season end so we at least have some time to think about the new approach rather than be surprised. Not to mention in case the card descriptions bug we need to know what is intentional.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@Catanius, I’m also a little bit puzzled why they have decided to do a change to the backpack even though there hasn’t been hardly any complaints about it. New one may be good in some aspects but maybe worse in some other aspects. +-0 after all perhaps. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile there are some serious UI issues like the building card order algorithm and minigame suggestion algorithm. Why not to fix those @CATANdominik? You see the amount of upvotes at threads suggesting those.

And you were a bit confused at the live stream about what people want about minigame suggestion. It seems pretty clear to me that most people would want to play lowest tier card of the same resource type.

@Catanius The server change for the backpack update is still pending. After this happens you should have the two free upgrades and get the refund for your already done purchases.

@AjanHukka The new backpack interface intends to help new players to better understand the game, as it gets slowly unlocked when you level up (something you as a higher level players can't experience anymore). This helps new players to focus on a few core mechanics first before they get introduced to unlocking cards or special boost cards and so on. So from my perspective it makes sense that there weren't any big complaints here about the backpack, as players who were overwhelmed by it, never made it to the forum, as they quit the game early. To answer your question: I will highlight the card selection algorithm topic again with the team to figure out where we currently stand with that.

• Qu33nAnG3LQu33nAnG3L Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

Game 1st thing before upgrade was unplayable. 

Had to do the upgrade on IOS to play. 

Got gold back for previous back pack upgrades. 

Development cards intact

But how do you upgrade Minigame capacity ? 20 is not enough

Only 2 options

1. Upgrade development or 
    2. Upgrade resource 

If it is resource ? Then does it spilt it the +10 between actual resource tab and minigame tab ??

@Qu33nAnG3L The new option to increase your Minigame limit will be added on Wednesday, after we refund the limit increase purchases. Then you will be able to increase each limit individually.

• AllakAllak Member Posts: 6 ✭✭

Will the cost of upgrades to capacity be adjusted at the same time considering the value of an upgrade will, effectively, be halved. Currently a +5 upgrade can either be used for building cards or mini games. With the change if you want to increase your minigame and building card capacity you will need to buy 2x +5 increases one for each pool, if my understanding is correct.

@Allak how is it halved...? Before you had one capcity for minigames and devcards sharing the upgrade isn't this just the same? you still get a +5 Upgrade for 250G don't you?

@Schnuefu under the old system you bought an upgrade and gained an extra 5 slots those slots could either be filled with building cards or minigame cards.

so picture a box you could either fill with oranges or apples. with the change, if you buy the box you can only use it for apples or you can only use it for oranges so if you want a box for both apples and oranges you need to buy 2 boxes which results in effectively halving the value of the box because it is not as flexible as it use to be. Does that make sense?

@Allak yeah but you can turn the apples into oranges: minigames => resources => buildings ;)

There is no 2 free backpack upgrdades... I have upgraded 2x my minigames slots and I have now 500 gold less in my treasury. @CATANdominik

The last updates (gold settlement and backpack) were a disaster...

• PHOTOXPHOTOX Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

I didn’t get free backpack upgrades. My mini games limit is still 20, as was my building but I had to upgrade it to build this morning.

Latest update makes the game worse and more expensive. Good job Niantic.

Upgrades should be 250g for +10 like resources... unless the real motivation behind the changes was to generate more money in which case never mind.

@CATANdominik

• WarhunterWarhunter Member Posts: 3 ✭✭

I see this as nothing but a money grab from Niantic. Smart players could easily balance between resources, building cards and mini games. Now you have to fork out 250 gold for EACH one. Just when I was enjoying this game more that PoGo Niantic had to go and **** it up with a money grab.

• WindWind Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Hey, may i suggest the resource list to be more spaced out instead of just on the top unless you guys have future features for the bottom half....

edited December 2020

Agreed with all comments here... Specially with @Allak @PHOTOX @Warfy5 @Warfy5 @Warhunter

- Price to upgrade backpack is too expensive.

- Separate minigames and buildings is a cheat from Niantic to grab player's money.

- No free upgrades as you said @CATANdominik

@Wind haha you are right. But they don't care about that... The upgrade was just a way for Niantic to grab players' money