News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: What is the best Building Carousel Order?

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 95 Community Manager, Global
edited December 2020 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

I’m following up on your questions from the latest live stream. You had asked about our suggestion algorithms and we would like to collect more feedback before making any changes. 

The “Suggested Action” button on the main Settlement screen and the “Building Carousel” that appears when you press the “Build” button are both fed by the same algorithm. Meaning you will always be presented with the same building – and in case of the Building Carousel with the highest rated recommendations brought to the forefront. Overall we think this algorithm still needs some love and tweaking, though with the recent comments we are not sure if sorting the building cards via an algorithm in the Building Carousel is preferred. So please let us know what you think by voting in the poll, and please tell us in the comments what action you think the suggestion algorithm should prioritize highest. We are also thinking about adding a dropdown option where you can specify which sorting option is currently used. Please tell us in the comments, if this is something you would use.

You can find our poll about the algorithm for the Minigame suggestion order here.

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Poll: What is the best Building Carousel Order? 46 votes

Algorithm based: bringing the highest rated suggested actions/cards to the forefront – currently implemented
2%
Ndorfyn 1 vote
Algorithm based: bringing only the top rated suggested action/card to the forefront. The rest of the building carousel is static
8%
ElderKoreanKatsudon84TheSeventhSharron 4 votes
Algorithm based: bringing those cards to the forefront with the highest inventory count
17%
Shogun79AnduYannikDavinaClaireDanskeNDeebechanExplorerXSliceAndDice 8 votes
Static Building Carousel: lowest to highest rarity buildings
13%
theChandiCataniusFiddleheadNZMykancaitie68Anonimouse75 6 votes
Static Building Carousel: highest to lowest rarity buildings
28%
AjanHukkaSkindogRedbirdShazzadoomWindGnesNaviEchloriDinolingHejmdalRandomExplorers182ArenAAesir 13 votes
Static Building Carousel: Alphabetical order
13%
BATTFAMMaxxiMinKamikazeDan1Archeron69ScrumpeeMarcoP010 6 votes
Other (please leave a comment)
17%
ZinkyZonkColoniusCharmqOctarineCargoWadicalWabbitCatAnDogGaryTheGreat 8 votes

Comments

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Alphabetical-playable cards. Playable=card unlocked, level of card not fully maxed and available slot to play the card in the settlement (the settlement is not fully occupied)

archive->bell->brick kiln so on and so forth. for example:

• it should suggest archive first, if its unlocked.
    • it would suggest bell first if archive is not unlocked OR been fully upgraded OR the settlement is fully occupied with buildings other than archive.

@LysaraBlackwood it seems you are referring to building from the bag but they are asking about the preference when you are building within a settlement.

• WindWind Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Static & by rarity.

let the settlement tier decide the order

if just a settlement, itll show commons first

villages will show uncommons first then commons

town get rares first

IMO, you should just program a setting that let us control,the preferencea.

1) Algortithim or Static

2) By rarity, by A-Z or by quanity.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

I have voted for the static one from lowest to highest rarity but I also agree with the static one from highest to lowest rarity.

I just don't want an algorithm based one cause it changes everytime so I have to search and search and search... Alphabetical sorting is also bad since markets are not together and some ressource buildings too.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Definitely a STATIC building carousel please 🙏🏼 , so can quickly locate the building that I am wanting to place or craft.

From highest to lowest rarity is safest to prevent inexperienced players dumping markets and Bell Towers randomly first.

• Vote - Static + Highest to Lowest (hit wrong select and can’t amend)

But NOT back to alphabetically sorted please, as that was also such a time waster, as no logical grouping of building types.

New suggestion:

Suggest an additional action tab of UPGRADE alongside those of Trade, Build and Grow.

Would be very helpful, especially for guiding new players, to have Settlement and Monument cards here in a separate tab to select. Identifying and encouraging the strategic goal of levelling up a settlement, for themselves and their team community.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 42 ✭✭

No carousel. Something else

If it must stay then static order

• OctarineOctarine Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Can't we just choose a card from a list? Maybe accessible from the "show cards" screen. Or even better, allow us to open the back pack in a settlement and have the option to play the card directly from the building cards tab.

The suggested card being first is ok, the algorithm gets it right fairly often (it also gets it wrong fairly often, by suggesting a card that cannot be played because the settlement is not at a high enough tier).

But after that there is no useful carousel order that would be efficient in all circumstances. Not offering cards for fully upgraded buildings would be a start, but really, I'd rather pick from a list.

• Shogun79Shogun79 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Algorithm based: bringing those cards to the forefront with the highest inventory count

Give me a drop-down, so I can change the view when needed.

Sometimes it's good to have the view which cards I still own, sometimes it also helps to have it in a static order. Other times in alphabetical order.

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Member Posts: 45 ✭✭

@Charmq I was talking about playing cards at a settlement, not the bag as you suggested upthread.

I think the suggestions / algorithm are useful for the first season or so as a new player, or if you have a bag full of cards you want to off-load onto a settlement & already have buildings placed in good locations & are just upgrading.

If I'm playing with the totem & want to add appropriate cards to locations to build up the settlement the carousel is a pain. A selectable list of cards, would reduce minutes of searching backwards & forwards through the carousel for specific building cards, finding what I need to craft them, then returning in the carousel to the card last played, & scrolling through again to the card just made.

Even if I remember what's at the settlement (I usually won't) and if I'm physically at the settlement, I will go into the settlement to check, deploy anything obvious, decide what else I want to deploy, find out the cost by laboriously scrolling through the building cards, or exiting the settlement & choosing cards to make & build before returning into the settlement. I've ended up exiting the settlement most of the time to create news cards as the carousel system doesn't cater for it at all. Can't do that in totem mode though.

Alphabetical order on the cards would reduce the search time, but it's still less efficient than having a selectable list available.

• LysaraBlackwoodLysaraBlackwood Member Posts: 45 ✭✭

I also find it difficult when the carousel suggests growing or upgrading the settlement. If I don't want to do that, I need to trick the algorithm to find cards I can build without growing or building.

• ColoniusColonius Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

@LysaraBlackwood

There actually already is a selectable list in the game - in the Building Carousel screen, there is an icon at the bottom right which when tapped on, brings you to the Deck List, which shows you a more easily navigable list of the building cards that you have. The way I believe the devs intended it to work is when you tap a building in the Deck List, it brings you back to the Building Carousel screen with that chosen card displayed.

However, this Deck list doesn't actually work, because most of the time, when I tap on a building in the list, it will bring me to a different building card in the Building Carousel. 😐️

If the devs fix this, then it will serve as the useful selectable list that you described.

• ColoniusColonius Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

@CATANdominik Thanks for posting this poll for us to give our feedback regarding the building carousel order!

I agree with most of the other commenters in that we would like an easily viewable and selectable list which does not require us to scroll through card by card. This is because often I would like to play a specific building card for a particular reason, and it would be best if we could do this in not more than one or two taps.

One simple way to implement this is to bring up the Deck List straight away when we press the "Build" button, instead of the Building Carousel. (Also, please fix the Deck List so that when we select a building, we are brought to the correct building in the carousel, thanks!)

As for the building order, I am strongly in favour of a static, alphabetical order. If you must include the dynamic, algorithm-based order, please add a dropdown option (as you mentioned) so that those of us who prefer the alphabetical order can still choose it.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

I agree with @ZinkyZonk The carrousel is the real problem...

• WadicalWabbitWadicalWabbit Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

Filter/tab by tier. Followed by alphabetical order.

@LysaraBlackwood ah i see what you mean. Coz it sounds like the bag to me. I agree its a hassle now, the totem mode should be more bag-mode like.

• CargoCargo Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Other.

There are a couple of scenarios:

A. I am loaded with stuff and want to offload as much as possible.

B. I want to play a specific card.

Algo Carousel and suggestions are great for scenario A, awful for scenario B. Filtered list is best for scenario B.

Preferred algo should rank highest rarity which is in hand, matches settlement tier and building not yet at max level. Tie breaker is an established, static order. Do not rank by number of cards in hand.

Suggestions should never include settlement upgrades or tile building.

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

Static is fine as we get used to the order quickly. If it is an algorithm just having buildings I have cards for at the front in a static order would be fine too then ones I dont in a static order.

Being able to use the deck list to select a building would be awesome as it would allow a fast way to see the cards we actualy have and pick them if we didn't wish to scroll.

• WindWind Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

So you open a settlement and see the suggested action...

any buildimg deploys or upgrades are fine with me....

but suggesting me to grow tiles before the others?

ugh.... that should be the LOWEST priority out of all when it comes to suggesting in the forefront

• NdorfynNdorfyn Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Algorithm based: bringing the highest rated suggested actions/cards to the forefront – currently implemented

I have no problem with the order the current algorithim chooses since it puts the cards you can actually play at the forefront. Although I could learn to accept either of the other algorithimn choices above. The problem isn't the order its that we cannot make good use of the order because once all of a particular building card is played it moves to the back of the queue and we have to go all the way through the carousel to the front to find the next card to play (which is probably irritating just about everyone). If you could select the next card in the carousel (to either left or right) before the just played card is dumped to the back of the queue I bet most people would be happy.

• DerwentDerwent Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

I'd like to be able to filter options, like "turn off growth suggestion", "only show tier 3" "suggest inventory only" etc. Too often I have to go by every building one by one because the building list function doesn't work. Having a "craftable now" filter would help too or a screen that displays all buildings with crafting requirements where you can craft and build from

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

Seems that peoples’ opinions differ quite a lot here. But generally a static order sounds better as it would be easier to find something one is exactly looking for.

The best would be to be able to select the order yourself.

• CatAnDogCatAnDog Member Posts: 21 ✭✭

Instead of carousel, after clicking build in a settlement, opens up a card inventory similar to inventory bag, with the following modifications.

1. Show the existing level of that building. Could be a number representing the current level, and a bar showing progress to next level e.g. 33%bar if it is 2/6 to next level

2. Fully developed building to be highlighted so we won't bother with those

3. Buildings where you have no cards to be greyed out so you don't bother with those either.

4. Buildings where you have cards and hasn't been built to be highlighted in a different background colour

In fact, will be good if we can just click +/- for each eligible card to select number of cards to use for development (similar to how we discard cards for RP) and deploy them in one go (good for seasoned players but maybe confusing for new players though)