News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: What Minigame Should Be Suggested Next After Playing One?

CATANdominikCATANdominik Administrator, Community Manager Posts: 95 Community Manager, Global
edited December 2020 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

I’m following up on your questions from the latest live stream. You had asked about our suggestion algorithms and we would like to collect more feedback before making any changes. 

This poll is about which Minigame is offered to “Play Next” after finishing the current one. As of now, the game picks the highest rarity one – while favoring cards of the same type of Resource you just played. This order was requested by our alpha testers. We initially had it set up that you would play the lowest rarity cards first. 

You can find a second poll about the algorithm of the Building Carusel here.

Yours

Dominik and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANdominik on

Poll: What Minigame Should Be Suggested Next After Playing One? 63 votes

Highest rarity Minigame of the same Resource type (if all are gone, switching to a random Resource) – currently implemented
0%
Highest rarity Minigame (disregarding Resource type)
0%
Lowest rarity Minigame of the same Resource type (if all are gone, switching to a random Resource)
84%
Theking465AjanHukkaSkindogtheChandiantilla7FiddleheadNZMikeyShogun79MaxxiMinmeIIivoraSchnuefuManiacDSolidRockKamikazeDan1Katsudon84LysaraBlackwoodColoniusAnduSuzyau66Shazzadoom 53 votes
Lowest rarity Minigame (disregarding Resource type)
11%
BATTFAMElderKoreanHejmdal182Starbright1016ScrumpeeMarcoP010 7 votes
Other (please leave comment)
4%
LybsterNeepieZinkyZonkKaffenhanced 3 votes

Comments

• SolidRockSolidRock Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Lowest rarity Minigame of the same Resource type (if all are gone, switching to a random Resource)

I agree with others, that the reason I want to do my cards quickly one after the other is often to a. clear up space or b. do a task. In those cases I want to do the ones that are quick and cheap.

I also find that I usually just need a little bit more of a resource to do what I want, and I want to save the rare and epic cards for the friendship tasks where I want to get a tonne of wood and brick quickly, so I can do it while standing there. I'd like those to be easy to save for that purpose.

I agree with @Wind that when it says I need 2 more wool, play a minigame; I expect it to select a wool minigame, and again I want it to be a low rarity, as I am probably just 2 resources away from the last card I need for something. If I'm using the totem I can't just select the one I want from my bag without losing my token.

I can see the value of using rarity before resource as the filter, but if I want wool and my dice lands in the ocean, I like that it gives me my next wool card so I can try again. That way I can stock up on the resource I want until I decide I have enough.

• OctarineOctarine Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Thank you for asking about this. I cynically thought it was set up that way so that people would buy more space for cards.

Not that "play next" works anyway...(it was still bugging out on the last day of last season)

• KaffenhancedKaffenhanced Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I'd like to see it 'start with' then 'return to' a pick list so I can choose what I want. This especially when playing a minigame to gain resources in a settlement

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

@Octarine, I think that it may indeed be behind this. Running out of soace fast would make people to buy more space. I’m sure that devs of Pokemon Go would do it for that reason but I’m not sure if devs of this game are so greedy devils. 😅

However, the space is now limited. Exceeding the limit if 150 would be easiest way to monetize there but they apparently don’t want to do it for game balance reasons.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 42 ✭✭

I read a great suggestion on the r/catanworldexplorers discord ..a 3 points algorithm .... i'm going to butcher retelling it ... soz .. (culled most of my discords due to real life obligations )

Take note of the rarity level that the player first selected set that rarity as the 'lowest' rarity.

Play next selects "lowest" rarity of the resource choosen.... so if a player selects an epic wool then the next choosen will be an epic wool.

Yet if a uncommon brick is selected then all uncommon brick are all used up then rare brick then epic brick.

Hope thats interesting.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 42 ✭✭

Also a rare/epic dice card hoarder. always want the option to clear the common dice cards first.

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

Personally I want it to keep providing the same game and resource I selected until it is gone, then it can suggest the next lowest card of the same resource otherwise any random (or lowest resource card) lowest rarity game.

• KamikazeDan1KamikazeDan1 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

I do have a comment here that if I'm in a town and i "get resources" via mini game, it should bring me up a mini game of the type I'm missing, or let me select, instead of the random choices that are never of the type I need!

• LybsterNeepieLybsterNeepie Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

I don’t like that there are situations I cannot choose — I have to take the next offered or none at all — for example when playing with totem and in a settlement when short of the resource I need. I’d prefer therefore to always have a way of choosing or choosing the algorithm