New Players and Getting Started

Earning Gold

SarahSarah Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

I can see that I need Gold to increase my inventory and to build in my private settlement but at the rate that I'm earning it I'll lose interest first.

• every 6 hours in my private settlement
  • ???

What are other tricks are there to earning gold?

Comments

• DoraDora Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Mini games.

• MilesMiles Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Gold rewards do offer in some quests.

Once the NPC encounter issue has resolved, choose a quest wisely (since you can have only 2 concurrent NPC quests in progress)...

If your dice lands on the gold coin when you do a public settlement roll you can earn gold there also.

• BionisShulkBionisShulk Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

@xDTrollBusterxD

Very nice!

• WainuipandaWainuipanda Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

You also earn gold for being mayor of villages etc. The more you are the more achievements you unlock door being a chief. These are done at the end of every week. Seeing as I got mine last night for my mayordom this week just gone

• MiraggenMiraggen Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@Wainuipanda

As mayor, is gold automatically deposited in your account?

• fiyahflashfiyahflash Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I managed to get 165 gold on my first day, I assume this was because I was going through the levels and earning gold on completing "stuff"; since then it has been very slow progress - 1 coin from your personal settlement when you can log on is a bit of a con, considering what it costs to expand and place buildings.

Hopefully quests from Cantans when they work, reward more.

I've gone free to play with Pokemon Go because of Niantic's aggressive hiding of Pokemon behind "paywalls"; this game won't see a single coin from me.

• SarahSarah Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

@Mirubi - you get a message in your inbox, open it and accept the rewards.

Mayors are very profitable!

• MiraggenMiraggen Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@Sarah

Many thanks for the reply. This system is very cool, since in PGO it is very bad to have to wait for someone to win to receive coins.

The one gold coin from your personal settlement should be added towards your total, even if you have hit the daily limit.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

The ability to get enough coin when playing in the suburbs is so slow that CWE is hostile to new players, badgering them constantly.

Once you get to L12 or so, it is better, but the badgering to spend money is still a significant bug if you often have more of a resource than you can trade out

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Only the mini games can help, up to 50 gold per day.

But also, each Sunday scores you up to 150 gold if you are the mayor of enough settlements

lol ... plenty to be gained in quests. My inventory space quickly grew when the Catanian quests were fixed purely by earning gold in-game.

The only quest I have seen with gold as a reward is the shrubs one, and I have seen that once.

@Grogyan I was Mayor in 5 settlements this week, no gold

Clan Chief 3 = mayor x 10

Clan Chief 4 = mayor x 30

• BrausmithBrausmith Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Artificial limits like the Daily Limit will certainly make me lose interest in playing long before anything else does.

Limits like these aren't legitimate gameplay mechanics to slow progress down in order to benefit of the overall game. This is expressed through the ability to override this limit with a purchase.

Limiting ones ability to use skill to progress through the game cheapens the entire gaming experience.

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Definitive Gold Answer:

50 daily cap (Throwing onto the coin tile in mini games / landing the dice onto a gold coin at settlements or having the treasury improvement next to the tile in your gold settlement)

5 for logging in

10 for completing Hard quest

= 65 Sub Total

Plus if you have a 'mint' in your gold settlement...

6 * your mint lvl (or more realistically 4 or 5* if you plan on sleeping...)

Lvl 1 = extra 4 or 5 or 6

Lvl 2 = extra 8 or 10 or 12

Lvl 3 = extra 12 or 15 or 18

Bringing a theoretical cap of 83 each day (or more likely 77 or 80, if you sleep)

Other quests are on top of this amount (e.g. starting out quests, or multi-stage seasonal quests, so sometimes these numbers appear different). Also, if you play after midnight, the daily gold limit resets, but you get notified of the gold you earnt after 5am... so it's possible to beat the daily gold limit - but not really, because you'll be robbing your future self from tomorrow.

I should have added that you can also be purchasing an additional 5 gold in the shop each day using your Research Points... so add 5 to all the numbers above!

Woops!

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    edited July 15

IMO, the Mint is not very valuable. Even though it's added gold, buying levels costs too much to make it worthwhile.

If you tap it 4 times a day (seriously, I think 3 times would be my norm), it takes the following number of days to repay each level:

Level 1: 12.5

Level 2: 62.5

Level 3: 250

Level 4: 625

Levels 1 & 2 are probably worth it, but 3 & 4 are only for seriously long haul players. The markets are better value, getting dice games.

edited July 15

@TheCombobulator You're figures are a little off.

Level 1: 12.5 = Agreed [50/(4*1)] i.e. cost of 50 / 4 taps earning 1gc each

Level 2: you say 62.5, but this assumes that you're still only earning 4 gold from your taps each day, when you're actually earning 8 (4 taps at 2gc each). So the correct payback for this upgrade is 31.25! [250/(4*2)]

Level 3: Payback is 83.33 [1000/(4*3] (same reasoning above - you're now getting 12gc from taps)

Level 4: Payback is 156.25 [2500/4*4] (same reasoning above - you're now getting 16gc from taps).

Also - payback time is not a great way of assessing the value of these upgrades! Because once you've 'paid back' the upgrade cost - you retain the benefit ongoing forever. So whilst it might take a total of 283.33 days (not 625) to fully upgrade (at 4 taps per day) [12.5+31.25+83.33+156.25] , you'll then be earning a massive:

-16 extra gold coins per day

-112 extra gold coins per week

-496 extra gold coins per month (assuming 31 day)

Put in other terms... If you make the investment of upgrading your Mint early on - you'll be able to make 2 full pack upgrades (@250gc each) each month, more than another player who didn't upgrade the mint.

To take it to the full extreme... once you're fully upgraded, you'll earn 5840 more gold coins per year than a player who doesn't... Heck, with that kind of gold... I'd nearly be tempted to play the Fabled Event ;)

I've attached my spreadsheet with calcs if anyone is interested!

Also - if anyone knows the badge requirement needed to unlock lvl 4, i'd love to know! @Wind? I'm still working towards level 3 myself [only 55 days to go] before I unlock the relevant badge to unlock Mint lvl3.

Spreadsheet also includes the stage & total payback if you're tapping only 3/day, or if you don't plan on sleeping 5 or 6 times a day...

• WindWind Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aug 10th is when i get the lv 3 so will,let you know as soom as i can @Baggs

edited July 15

@Baggs

Each upgrade only gets you an additional 1g per tap per day, so in my calculation an additional 4g per day.

I think it's just because you're not allowing for the previous level to have been paid off before making your calculations. The previous level, once paid off, makes profit, but you get that even if you don't upgrade further, so I'm not going to count gold from that against the cost.

I understand what you're saying about the additional 1g, being only 1g. But that's not really the argument here! You said up above:

"IMO, the Mint is not very valuable. Even though it's added gold, buying levels costs too much to make it worthwhile."

Well I think my above post pretty clearly points that your statement as incorrect. Given the old Additional 5,840 gold per year... Seems pretty valuable to me.

Also - I note you're looking at it on a Level by Level basis (i.e. should I spend the additional 2,500 gold to upgrade to lvl 4? No because it will take me 625 days for that "1 extra" gold/tap to pay for it), the better way to look at it is in its entirety, all levels together (i.e. should I spend 283.33 days investing in a max level mint to secure a whopping 16 gold per day, forever! In my mind the answer is obviously... Yes.

You also said that "You're not allowing for the previous level to have been paid off before making your calculations". I absolutely am, that's why the total time taken to upgrade the mint to level 4 is 283.33 (12.5 days for level 1 payback, 31.25 for level 2, 83.33 for level 3 and finally 156.25 for level 4).

The reason why you calculated level 4 would take 625 days to pay for itself, is because your calculations ignore the fact that during those 625 days, you're earning 12 gold extra each day (4 taps at 3gc) - at an 'unaccounted profit' of 7,500 gold! My calcs build that extra profit into the timing calcs.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

We could discuss for years, but the fact is that at each point you decide to upgrade, the additional benefit is still only 1g per tap per day. I understand that you are adding the already won profit to your benefit in the cost/benefit calculation, and I'm not. The fact is that you still get the previously won profit without additional upgrades, so you shouldn't take it into account when assessing the cost/benefit of a new upgrade.

Yes, profits are good over a long period, but you've got to play for a long time to see benefits from higher levels.

I ran the numbers in excel, to see when the breakeven point would be (hoping to prove you wrong!) I made the following assumptions, we both leveled up the mint to level 2, and tapped the mint 4 times a day, but you stopped there, and I kept upgrading to level 4. I calculated the break even point when when my additional profit, would outweight the additional 3,500 [1000+2500] gold spent to do the upgrade.

Turns out that it's only at about day ~880 that my extra daily profit beat you... So... I'd like to revise my statements about the mint:

Level 1 = no brainer

Level 2 = Probably worthwhile

Level 3 & 4 = if you plan on playing this game, every single day, for more than 2.5 years (or if you can manage to tap 5 time a day), then it's worth upgrading... If not, probably best to cap out at level 2.

@TheCombobulator Thanks for the robust discussion! I appreciate it!

@Baggs me too!

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

And I, who no longer collected the mint as soon as I had reached my daily max of coins... 😲

I now understand why I often had 51 to 53 instead of the expected 50...

I will search my mail for the mint 2 map that I had left hidden to prevent the game from upgrading without my consent.

He has offered it to me almost daily since this fall...

Already without my consent he has upgraded the cards that I wanted to move, as well as deleted cards that I had at level 2 next to the tile. 6... 😡

Thanks to both of you for this helpful discussion. 🙏