News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: Do You Like the New Interaction Radius?

CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 341 Admin
edited March 9 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers,

We would love your help in gathering feedback on the recent increase to the interaction radius in CATAN – World Explorers. Please vote in the poll below, and share your thoughts in the comments!

Yours,

CATANFiona and the CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Poll: Do You Like the New Interaction Radius? 84 votes

Yes, I like the increased interaction radius.
70% 59 votes
No, I prefer the original, smaller, interaction radius.
8% 7 votes
Neither, the right interaction radius is somewhere between the original and the increased radius.
16% 14 votes
Other (please leave comment)
4% 4 votes

Comments

• WindWind Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17

On a normal season to seasom play, i prefer the original 50m radius.

however during a Winter and a Summer each year, an extended radius can be applied for 3 weeks season so can expect a full season extended radius like 2 times a year to a max of 4 if we do one during Fall and Spring. If aiming every 4 months.

during normal seasons, can do a snap extension for like 72 hours during the likes of Christmas, Halloween and so on assuming the special seasom doesnt overlap.

anyways i find the 2 hours cooldown for harvesting during special 72 hours event to be overkill so 3 or 4 hours would be a better option

If the masses wants to keep the extended radius, imo the current 168m radius is too big, how about try in between of 100m to 120m?

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 73 ✭✭

As for the 2 hour cooldown, everyone can see it in different ways.

Some will be happy to be able to harvest 2 or 3 times a day without worrying too much about the schedule because their lives are already busy.

Others will try to keep pace and will realize that if they want to build and expand their settlement, they will not have to go too far because 2 hours, it comes back very quickly.

As for others, they will try to maximize the 2 hours sequences within 24 or 72 hours of the event to the detriment of their personal life.

It will be much easier for them if they have a settlement and resource centers at home. Or else with a stock of totem tokens ...

Fortunately, resource centers are limited to 10 uses per day.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I like the bigger range .... I also like @Wind ideas of occasional use.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17

When setting up things like this one should remember that the majority of players would always seek for convenience and prefer the easier and bigger radius. But it doesn’t necessarily make the game better to make it more and more lazy and stationary.

100+ m radius just sounds ridiculous. It should probably be max 80 m (like in PoGo) and during covid and/or some special celebratory events only.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 434 ✭✭✭

I am changing my stance on the larger action radius, only marginally.

Due to the limited wayspots near me, the greater range is marginally between the old 16m.

Though I prefer the old range, the larger range is nice also.

There still needs to be more settlements, everywhere.

• SchnuefuSchnuefu Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

I'm for either a dynamic range (if you enter a region or cell (however it is managed) your radius adapts accordingly) or reduction of POIs/Cell or POIs/km^2 (don't know what the mechanic is there)

• All1r0GAll1r0G Member Posts: 38 ✭✭

I love Niantic games just because you can't play them by sitting on your cosy sofa.

The new radius is far too large. I keep telling you that the quests are too easy to accomplish. Now I can reach targets in the neighbour street without going there. I can sit on my sofa and have 6 targets in range. Collecting 20 shrubs - done in 5 minutes. How should this motivate me going outside and move?

There are though few targets that were difficult or even impossible to reach from public walkways. So a slightly larger radius would be convenient.

• All1r0GAll1r0G Member Posts: 38 ✭✭

There is one more thing about the new radius that really concerns me:

I began playing Ingress in Beta and I back then was shocked (as everybody else) about the death of a young player, who didn't pay attention to his surroundings and died in a traffic accident. I think I'm quite good in playing while getting around, without losing sight of the real world. But that's exactly what the new radius does: The consistant interaction possibilities (more targets in range, more schrubs spawning everywhere) urges me to keep my eyes on the screen instead of the street.

This fact scares me.

• HedgyHedgy Member Posts: 9 ✭✭

This is a double edged sword.

I love how much easier it is to find quests/shrubs however the distance to interact with settlements and resource centers is too big it defeats the purpose of the game which is walking.

However the radius for totems is amazing and makes it much more logical to pop your totem down in one area and just keep it there and interact with multiple settlements.

Overall I'd be okay with the player radius becoming smaller (not as small as last season though) but the totem radius staying the same.

• M42M42 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

I too like the walking aspect of Niantic games, but I find the larger area still gets me walking, I just walk to certain points on the map, find a good shady spot, maybe even with a seat, then with the larger play circle I have lots of resource centres to smash, maybe a couple of Settlements and a bigger variety of Quests to choose from and a lot of shrubs. By the time I do all that the Resources have regenerated and I get another round to smash before I walk to the next point and do it all again. And, if it's raining I can do it all in my car with just a few stops. This might not be everyone's ideal way to play, but I find it better and safer. As I'm not tempted to play while walking or having to pull over so much if it's raining and I'm driving.

• TahalnyouTahalnyou Member Posts: 73 ✭✭

We must not forget that from one street to another, from a village, a suburb, a district, a city, from one country to another the density of POIs is not the same.

Some players will find that there are plenty of resource centers and settlements accessible from their home. And will find that it is exaggerated with the large radius.

Other players have nothing near their home. Fortunately, the golden settlement, the personal settlement, the park tiles and the Totem pole exist for these players.

The big ray has another meaning for them. To be able to reach resource centers / colonies more easily.

For example those on the other side of the river while the bridge is 20 km away.

To play, they must already move to denser areas often in a neighboring city, cross a park ...

Hmmm....

might be wise to program a reading spawn radius?

you know we got the interaction radius, that can be the usual 50m along with ability to tap on POIs if they reachable in that radius

and then add in another radius, the range to fetch spawn data for shrubs and catanians up to 168m - the current interaction radius as having the invisible “spawn reading” radius on top of the visible “interaction” radius....might make it a better game play without breaking the intending exploration purpose, close to portal as well as extended range boost cards.

thoughts @CATANFiona ?

• BrassFittingBrassFitting Member Posts: 1

Never saw the earlier radius since I'm new but I like that it's bigger than the one for other games on this same map. You can use a whole area and then move on rather than trying to access things as you walk by each one.

• FreezerbearFreezerbear Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

I would prefer a radius that fits on the screen rather than having to constantly spin the view to reach everything

• ChopStiRChopStiR Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited February 22

loved the bigger radius this season. Although I wouldn't want it permanently. I think the radius could vary with each season and the length of the season.

The Scout bird wasn't quick enough with the larger radius.

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

As a rural player, I've got next to nothing near me. The extended radius is essential for me to be able to play.

Sadly, I can only get any settlements regularly using my totem. I love the game, but perhaps it is not for me :(

@ZigZagWanderer has you actually got a lv 10 ingress or/and lv 40 pogo account? Perhaps you can submit more portals for your rural area

• EarthtoneEarthtone Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

I like the bigger radius but particularly in a CBD it is quite OP. I can see 2 of every resource (except the missing one) from my desk and need to walk across the floor to reach the near settlement.

Upon reflection, I would like the Totem radius to remain like this (still costs to interact) and the personal radius to be midway between extra big and normal.

(I sometimes wonder if this season is a psych experiment: what if we have players far more resources than they can use, and then deliberately broke local scoring half way through the season? What would they do?)

• GandalfTheWhiteGandalfTheWhite Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4

@Wind No, I don't. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to get one up and running, especially as they're is so little around here. Bit of a Catch 22!

• FeythyerFeythyer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

I'm sure it's nice to be able to reach a resource centre from your home, but we don't all live in the middle of a city. I'm in a suburb well populated with POIs (after a lot of work by locals) and can't reach any even with the increased radius.

I love the new radius because it makes the game a LOT more wheelchair-accessible, especially when people have placed waypoints in the middles of sports fields.