News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Poll: Do you prefer National Competitions or Local Competitions? (again)

CATANFionaCATANFiona Administrator Posts: 445 Admin
edited May 18 in News & Announcements

Greetings Explorers, 

Now that we have had two seasons with National Competitions and have reverted back to Local Competitions, we’d love to hear if your feedback has changed. We know that we have asked something similar in a poll before, but we wanted to check back in after two seasons of National Competitions to give you another chance to voice your opinions.  

As a reminder, National Competitions created one region per country, rather than smaller local regions created by Local Competitions. Please take the poll below and leave your feedback in the comments!

-The CATAN – World Explorers Team

Post edited by CATANFiona on

Poll: Do you prefer National Competitions or Local Competitions? (again) 45 votes

I prefer National Competitions!
20%
CarneKiwiMarinaZinkyZonktaprokhMrMxHBScrumpeeWadicalWabbitFelicitousDanellie 9 votes
I prefer Local Competitions!
66%
AjanHukkaGrogyanAshokaMaurya1FiddleheadNZManiacDStolenFameAll1r0GElderKoreanM421Suzyau66ADAhelsingorCharmqMystiqueKnotGuardianGromtrakFeythyerDavejjjjjTahalnyouTavnyAmoeba 30 votes
I don’t have a preference between National and Local Competitions.
4%
Mike5619Jpom 2 votes
Other (Leave comment below)
8%
freesofiaColoniusWindMykan 4 votes

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Wind

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@Wind probs need to tone down the CAPS. Sound really whingy tbh.

Hey we are hardcore players in the 1% . We've got a lot of experince in niantic gaming. Playing efficiently and playing hard.

Preferred the national as i could get very high scores without completely whumping my opponents in the cell. I've just gotten about 3rd set up of 1 settlement for resource gathering and whamo i've won the cell for the rest of the season. Boring.

• OctarineOctarine Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

My answer is I don't care because doing things at settlement (the fault is pretty much all with the building carousel) takes way too long and I won't take this game seriously until that is improved.

• FiddleheadNZFiddleheadNZ Member Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Agree with @Wind

Need the tiers of Local and National... Global if you like but not fussed.

Much more important game play issues to remedy first... like Carousel.

• freesofiafreesofia Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

Release the game for all regions!

2 years is too long to lose a valuable resource in the direction of good programmers and funds!

I hope it's not too late.

• AjanHukkaAjanHukka Member Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5

I can still only see the inevitable convergence to player numbers in big regions.

In small countries this affects less but in big countries the score is totally dominated by that effect.

In the long run it’s not very interesting with national regions.

Singapore as one single region could work. Others are just too big.

Post edited by AjanHukka on
  • M42M42 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I prefer local and Global, at least that way you can feel like you're doing something for the cause. When it was National and Global I didn't feel like anything I did was making a difference. I agree with @Wind the only good thing about National was the Chat rooms, I've finally been able to catch up with one of my local opponents.

• WindWind Member Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5

Large regionals would be a much better option than Nationals like for example:

Southeast Asia; Australia; New Zealand & Polynesia; Scandavina; Central Europe, and so on

• MykanMykan Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Local regions for play, lost too many players, motivation and competition with the national region. Our local area was building some great competition and team play prior to national, now it is dead. Hopefully with local back this will eventually pick up again.

Large regions for chat, the chat rooms are basically useless in the current state. Even worse that they can't be set as a favourite anymore.

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

@AjanHukka please comment for yourself and stop deciding for us that “Singapore as one region could work.”

With the national competitions the entire region is uniformly distributed with same time of resources which makes it boring. I very much prefer local gameplay with different resource spreads from season to season which makes it more fun to explore.

@Charmq I’m just looking at the map and seeing that it is rather small area while other beta countries are all significantly bigger.

It’s probably very difficult question how big the regions should be. I think it’s only clear that those shouldn’t be too big. Maybe those will change from season to season when the game is out.

How many regions does Singapore have now with smaller regions setting?

• Eagle1Eagle1 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭

Local, but let us see the boundaries easier and pin chats/get notifications of new chats?

• CharmqCharmq Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

@AjanHukka im guessing around 30? I could be wrong. With super zoom the boundaries blur out so i cant see the plots, previously the zoom was limited and overlapping of plots so it was also quite hard to count.

• MystiqueKnotMystiqueKnot Member Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

@AjanHukka I agree with @Charmq on her point. Being a small country should not be the reason to deprive us of having local competition. Let the Singapore players decide on their preferred game play. Beside, there must be a reason why Singapore was chosen to be in Beta, despite being a “small area”.

I could personally imagine to be happy with rather small regions. With small regions one could set goals to make own team win in some other regions than ones home regions as well.

It would motivate a player to move to other zones instead of just building few settlements as much as possible close to ones home or on the densest POI zone which would be the case with huge regions. 🤔

• CarneCarne Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I liked national, it would need more work of course especially with the resource spread.

National meant wherever I built it counted, I could build in areas far away and know it all added up, on local there is more incentive to build only in your local area - “Not my local area? nope not building here!”

Also Local rewards the players with the most time - “Oops you chose to live there? Oh that sucks that is ‘player with loads of time or money’s region’ you are never going to flip that zone. Best you change teams or quit.”

Local is territorial - I am dramatic but this can be toxic as in other games, I would rather not have people caring about where I live or work. Let’s just play the game and have fun.

• GrumpyOldManGrumpyOldMan Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

I believe most of your VPs go to where your personal settlement is. It would be nice to get some confirmation and clarification on this subject.

@Carne it probably is not so easy to get toxic when you can only build and never destroy. 🤔

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

National = can't see any benefit to my gameplay effort = reduced incentive to play... its that simple.

• CataniusCatanius Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer less bugs in the next update

• NdorfynNdorfyn Member Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

We should have both. Have local and national in game with chatrooms at both levels and have the global score available in real-time on this website. Once the games is released globally the global score will change so rapidly compared to what a single player or small group can achieve that it provides zero value in game.

Local you can see your efforts. Eagles are well ahead in my home area so I'm playing all my VP in the neighbouring area to help eagles get the win there. This is what encourages me to play more.

National can also be fun if the scores are close. I was out playing for a few hours on the last night of season 13 trying to keep Eagles ahead in Australia when the lead was only a few hundred points and I could the differences I was making in the scores. Having a single country wide resource distribution sucked. National chatroom was great because then there was actually chatting happening.

• KiwiMarinaKiwiMarina Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited May 12

I like the local competitions as i like to see the local competions scores but the national competitions allows the whole of NZ in to chat. Was nice to finally have others to chat with. For ages, i was the only player in my town, finally got another player, they don't chat! Guess I'm back to being a Catan loner ☹️

• ColoniusColonius Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

Agree with @Wind: Have multiple levels of scoring.

Small local regions should stay, as an individual player will have a larger effect on a smaller region. This gives many players a sense that what they do makes a difference.

However, it would be good to also show the scores in larger regions, e.g. cities/districts or countries etc. Each player can then choose which level(s) they want to compete at.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

I live on the boarder of two regions .....[Right on the boarder like if I switch my golden and personal I would be in another region].... just setting up 7 settlements has blown my score way ahead of the opposition. I haven't played since Saturday because it's just boring winning by so much.

really want to build out my settlements. I quest for the perfect build set that will generate the most VP and xp. But the big lead I have is not how I like to play Catan. I like games that end on whether a 5 is rolled or a 9 is rolled. With all players close to victory. "If only the dice went the other way my strategy would have won!". That's the fun of well balanced games like Catan. Players rarely sit playing a euro game knowing they have lost the game early.

I don't know how the devs should fix this .... But I suspect this is big reason why we haven't had a global release.

edited May 27

Reading these and reading comments from other forums it seems that players have different circumstances and different tastes. Any setting is displeasant for some and pleasant for some.

Regional and National competition should be perhaps something that are season related characteristics. Varying the size could keep the game fresh. 🤔

• WindWind Member Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm.... i am thinking, perhaps make local scoring Zones bigger than it is right now?

edited May 28

But I could say that when number of players (player density) increases the more important local play comes and national would start to make less and less sense.

With advertisement and game gaining publicity those will probably happen. Especially as I understand that the game is really good at the moment. 👍