CATAN – World Explorers is shutting down on November 18th, 2021. Learn more

News & Announcements

Read and discuss official updates here

Fabled Season Quest overview (spoiler alert!!)

CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 103 Game Developer

Disclaimer: This post is full of spoilers, proceed at your own risk. If you are spoiler adverse, go out and enjoy our latest Season’s quest going live in Season 20.

Reminders:

• The Season Quest is only available for the duration of the season.
  • All Fabled Harvest buildings now require 4 cards per level from 6.

This Fabled Season will have players performing a mix of different actions. Feedback has always been that Discovery Objectives have been a lot of fun, except when they land mid to late season, making it a pretty good fit for an Explorer's seasonal progress. Monuments are also still great, everyone's got them, and one of the goals of the season quest is to maintain accessibility to new players up front. This may seem like a very easy quest to some, but we're very aware not to punish our players in less dense areas.

This is the first time Trading has made an appearance in a Season quest. Since this season does not feature a signature resource, Gilda is not showing any favorites this season with her trade ratios. Again, difficulty on this one shouldn't be onerous, but Catanians can be tricky to track down in some areas. "Quests" in this instance counts any type of quest, not just those from Catanians.

Since this season has no signature resource, crafting any Building Card will suffice.

And the final step - the path to victory! At this point in the season most players have a decent stable of Settlements to visit and develop.

Comments

• BaggsBaggs Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Looks great! Can't wait to get stuck into it.

Will post some feedback after I'm done.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk Member Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

The 50 quests is really hard lololol

• CarneCarne Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@CATANEir @CATANFiona fyi for the 3/4 section, the building count is not registering any building being crafted or any tier or type. Looks to be broken.

• CATANEirCATANEir Developer Posts: 103 Game Developer

Sorry to hear it @Carne - you are correct. We'll have a fix in place today but that will unfortunately erase any progress you had in the Play Minigames objective.

• CarneCarne Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

Too easy and thanks!

• YondabyYondaby Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

@ZinkyZonk is right about the 50 quests. If you aren't at the first friendship level anymore it can become pretty hard.

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@Yondaby if you're up to level 2 quests for all Catanians, you should be well able to manage it. I think that this is probably the best way to even the playing field for all players.

Heck, @Wind managed it all on level 3 quests on the first couple of days!

@TheCombobulator I'm at a mixture of level 2 & Level 3 quests - and have very limited ability to play with lockdown in Sydney...

However, even with all that - I still managed to knock of 50 quests fairly easily in 3 days. Here's how:

• Always have ~20 of each resource ready (to instantly complete a "build 10 VP Buildings" with monuments or "build 10 trade buildings"
    • Always have a stockpile of monuments & Cranes/Storehouses ready to play at your Personal Settlement (to instantly complete the "build production buildings".
    • Always have at least 15 Totem Tokens, (to instantly complete the visit 3 resource centres) [obviously this is lvl 2]
    • Always have at least 10 mini games saved up (to instantly complete the "play 10 minigames")
    • Have 1 settlement beefed up as a 'trade' centre (i.e. 3:1 for all goods), so you can go to trade up to '5000' of a certain resource
    • When you have lots of catanians around you (i.e. you can chose what quests to do) always try to get multiple quests doing the same thing
    • Don't be working on other things... If your main goal is to max out your local settlement with Tier 3's... this will set you back. Instead, focus only on the quests to ensure you're getting through them... so you can get ready for the 1000VP slog.
  • YondabyYondaby Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

The problem isn't doing it now. The problem is that this kind of objective will be repeated in later seasons and cause problems then unless the issues are pointed out. Some players aren't that hyperactive, but they still progress the friendship levels.

Last season they tested putting the same kind of resource building in the settlement and they received plenty of feedback for that.

In my area we are in lockdown limiting outdoor recration just allowing exercise like fast walking or running.

It might be hard - but there's 75 gold coins up for grabs!!! If they're giving out hard game currency like that... Then I believe it should be hard. In my opinion, it should be harder (or at least, give players the option to opt in to harder quests).

also - it's worth pointing out that the 1000VP is sooo much easier to complete this season... By the time you get to that challenge... if you've been saving up your Fabled Beacons... (at 25VP per placement), you have about 16 of these which is equal to 400VP straight away...

Planning ahead, I waited until I got to the final stage, and then used my totem to find 16 new settlements (far away from active players), and put a Fairground & a Beacon on each one... resulting in 16*30 VP = 480VP in about 15 minutes. This will also ensure i'm mayor of an additional 16 settlements for the remainder of the season.

As for the 240 Totem Tokens needed for this, That will only take me a week or so to save back up, so totally worth it.

• WindWind Member Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fabled vp isnt working as intended atm @Baggs

• TheCombobulatorTheCombobulator Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21

An excellent series of quests! I loved planning for and completing it.

I did it a slightly hard way, by crafting most of my buildings as tier 2 (best bang for your buck overall), using the best combination of available resource sites. It took longer than it could have, but using 100 dice games and about 10 or 15 boosted resource sites, I completed the final 100 building cards and filled the rest of the quota with monuments.

The results are that I immediately played those cards, plus the various fabled harvest cards, and had nearly 800 of the required vp for the final stage. It should have been 14 more, but I forgot to claim my rewards for stage 3 before playing building cards, d'oh!

A good plan, skilfully executed, methinks!

Also thoroughly enjoyed this season's quest.

Found the 1000 VP much easier with the added fabled buildings...

Alas... I find that after the quest chain is done... I have less to do. Would love the ability to 'opt-in' for a longer quest chain, to keep me busy all season long.

• GrogyanGrogyan Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭

Steady on, most of us are still trying to get it done.

Just fnished page 2 yesterday

Then I strongly recommend saving up the Fabled buildings!!!! Great fodder for VP playing!